Seagate Exos X10 SAS issues.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dark0ne

Aug 11, 2021
Sweden
Hi!

I have an issue with my Seagate Exos X10, the model ST10000NM0096.

Problem are that i have two HBA card flashed into IT-Mode, one LSI 9210-8i and 9211-8i. These cards WONT see or spin up the drives at all. I have it connected via this cabel Mini SAS 36 SFF-8087 to (4) SFF-8482 Connectors with SATA Power but HBA and cabel see and works great with SATA drives with no problem.

I moved one card into my HP Microserver Gen 8 and put the disks in there, cus it have SAS backplane, there it spins up and i can see the drives in LSI cards bios when booted, but i dont wanna have the drives in that machine.

So my question are: What cabel to use for power and what HBA card do i need (instead of moving the 9210-8i and 9211-8i cos they don't support 4kn) ?

Thanks in advance. =)

Spearfoot

Apr 22, 2015
Hi!

I have an issue with my Seagate Exos X10, the model ST10000NM0096.

Problem are that i have two HBA card flashed into IT-Mode, one LSI 9210-8i and 9211-8i. These cards WONT see or spin up the drives at all. I have it connected via this cabel Mini SAS 36 SFF-8087 to (4) SFF-8482 Connectors with SATA Power but HBA and cabel see and works great with SATA drives with no problem.

I moved one card into my HP Microserver Gen 8 and put the disks in there, cus it have SAS backplane, there it spins up and i can see the drives in LSI cards bios when booted, but i dont wanna have the drives in that machine.

So my question are: What cabel to use for power and what HBA card do i need (instead of moving the 9210-8i and 9211-8i cos they don't support 4kn) ?

Thanks in advance.
Could it be the dreaded P3/PWDIS "Power Disable Pin"?

According to the EXOS docs I found below, these drives support the PWDIS 'feature':

So if you're applying voltage to PIN3 on the drives with that combo cable, they'll never spin up.

Or it could be something else...

dark0ne

Aug 11, 2021
Sweden
Could it be the dreaded P3/PWDIS "Power Disable Pin"?

According to the EXOS docs I found below, these drives support the PWDIS 'feature':

So if you're applying voltage to PIN3 on the drives with that combo cable, they'll never spin up.

Or it could be something else...
Dunno if that the problem, cus the drive spins up and works in the Microservers Backplane. The cabling in the Gen 8 is a SFF-8087 to four SFF-8482...

Spearfoot

Apr 22, 2015
Dunno if that the problem, cus the drive spins up and works in the Microservers Backplane. The cabling in the Gen 8 is a SFF-8087 to four SFF-8482...
But the backplane may not be applying power to pin 3? Anyway, it was just a shot from the hip.