Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

neodied

Aug 1, 2021
I don't know if it makes a difference... but do you have 'stack disable' in your setup? Like this:
Code:
stack unit 1
  module 1 icx6610-48p-poe-port-management-module
  module 2 icx6610-qsfp-10-port-160g-module
  module 3 icx6610-8-port-10g-dual-mode-module
stack disable
You are a lifesaver! Adding that, then a reboot solved the issue, now I'm getting link on all 4 QSFP breakout ports.

MassiveMeatMissile

Aug 22, 2020
That's odd, sounds like it is indeed bricked, which in my experience is usually a bad/incomplete bootloader, but it typically doesn't happen for no reason - could be a bad bootloader flash/upgrade from a while back and it just hadn't been rebooted yet or similar. Depending on how invested you are and how close to indiana you are, I might be able to mail you my jtag unit if you want to flash a fresh bootloader via jtag and see if that's the issue
I appreciate the offer but I've decided to buy a new one already.

Reactions: fohdeesha

OKGolombRuler

Mar 13, 2020
7150-c12p, MOCA, and Campus Fabric-- oh, my!

Hi folks--

First off, thanks to Fohdeesha and all the forum folks as a result of whose work and words I've learned so much (at least, failed so much less!). :)

Second, I've trawled this thread a fair bit but haven't seen much discussion of campus fabric, which is today's puzzle.

Requests:
  • Corrections for any of the below
  • Suggestions on smarter/alternative ways to do it? Stupid/crazy but practicable ideas welcomed.
  • Is this as simple as finding either a 7150 (to stack?) or a ... 7450? 7650? to serve as a CB?

Environment:
My house is rather hostile to 5ghz wifi and lacks ethernet and cell service but has cable TV jacks. Most of my network traffic is latency-sensitive, whether it's endless Zoom calls, VOIP/SIP traffic, SDR, etc. I do isolate IOT, guests, etc into VLANs.

I have a 6610 in the basement and a couple 7150-c12ps which I put in distant rooms, attached client devices and a POE AP, and home-run by way of individual pairs of MOCA bridges. And it's great, and mostly even works! but I've now got enough VLAN segmentation, firewall shenanigans, etc to want to manage the L2 switching fabric as one coherent unit. I'm tired of trunking vlans around on switch after switch each time I want to rewicker an experiment.

Obstacles:
  • The network topology is hub-and-spoke; there will be no redundant links here. (Which rules out Stacking but should work with Campus Fabric mode, I think?)
  • The 7150s will supposedly act as Port Extenders (which I read as akin to Cisco FEXes) if paired with a suitable (7150? 7x50?) Control Bridge, but my 6610 will not cut the mustard.
  • The 7150s do not support the 2.5gbps ethernet the MOCA bridges offer; so I'm leaving bandwidth on the table. (This is a modest annoyance, but I mention it in case my ignorance not silicon is the limiting factor).
  • It 'feels weird' to push every frame down a 1gbps link to the Control Bridge only to have it come right back up that same link. Maybe I misunderstand, and only frames destined for a different physical switch get pushed to the BC for processing? In which case they'd be traversing it anyway, no harm done

I'm still noodling on the 8.0.95 campus fabric guide, please feel free to point me to docs (or your own running examples!) if I missed anything.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
I could be wrong, but I believe you're going to need a 7650, 7750, or 7850 to be a CB. My 7450, running 8.0.92e, certainly does not have the commands present to configure it as a CB.

• Sad
Reactions: OKGolombRuler

OKGolombRuler

Mar 13, 2020
note that campus fabric is dead tech, they abandoned it and retired it completely in the latest firmware train
Crud, I haven't looked beyond 8.0.95. Hopefully they replaced it with something that will accept single, full-duplex links. I'll have to go do some digging. Thanks!

And, while you're eyes-on, Fohdeesha, thanks again for all your effort and research into these devices!

Reactions: fohdeesha

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Crud, I haven't looked beyond 8.0.95. Hopefully they replaced it with something that will accept single, full-duplex links. I'll have to go do some digging. Thanks!

And, while you're eyes-on, Fohdeesha, thanks again for all your effort and research into these devices!
Hmm stacking should definitely work with single links! (otherwise when a redundant two link stack connection lost a link, it would become...quite useless)

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
Rats! Thanks for letting me know. :) May I ask about what your 7450 ran you?
My ICX7450-48P came with both PSUs and 2 40G modules, but no 10G module and missing a fan, for $300. You might do better right now, eBay stock is always changing obviously. The fan and 4x10 module cost me another $90 ($60 for fan, $29 for 10G); the 4x10's are cheaper now, fan supply is ... erratic; right now, ICX-FAN10-E modules are $100+

Reactions: OKGolombRuler

liv3010m

Jul 22, 2018
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hi guys, I just jumped into the ICX bandwagon, may I be the last wagon? Hopefully not, because it's great hardware for the price! :p
Joke aside, anyone running firmware version 8030u on ICX6450? I saw some posts from like a year ago, on this same thread, where it was mentioned it had some bugs or it was "being tested", so my question is: anybody running it without any abnormalities?

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
Hi guys, I just jumped into the ICX bandwagon, may I be the last wagon? Hopefully not, because it's great hardware for the price! :p
Joke aside, anyone running firmware version 8030u on ICX6450? I saw some posts from like a year ago, on this same thread, where it was mentioned it had some bugs or it was "being tested", so my question is: anybody running it without any abnormalities?
Thats the latest/last firmware for the ICX6450, so pretty much everyone in this thread using a ICX-6*** is using it, I am on my 6450. I am sure there are a few bugs, but none that affect me and all is well for the last year or 2.

Freebsd1976

Feb 23, 2018
Thanks, that actually works pretty well! How did you connect the ASIC fan?
two way power asic fan , use fan power(fan voltage will reduce to 4.5 or 5v when system fan on speed 1) or use 12v power from psu (always full speed for asic fan)
I use first method on icx7250-24 , temperature reduce 10C , but still a little bit high , now consider use second method

mwarps

Oct 29, 2019
After battling with it for over a week, I finally got SNMP working on my Brocade ICX 7250.

enable
conf t
snmp-server community private ro view admin
snmp-server view admin 1.3.6.1.4.1.1991 included
write mem

And I'm able to snmpwalk with:

snmpwalk -c private -v 2c $SWITCH_IP 1.3.6.1.4.1.1991

Now to get some SNMP to influxdb action going on!!!

anemoiac

Jan 7, 2021
two way power asic fan , use fan power(fan voltage will reduce to 4.5 or 5v when system fan on speed 1) or use 12v power from psu (always full speed for asic fan)
I use first method on icx7250-24 , temperature reduce 10C , but still a little bit high , now consider use second method
Thanks! What's the best way to tap into the 12v power?

OKGolombRuler

Mar 13, 2020
After battling with it for over a week, I finally got SNMP working on my Brocade ICX 7250.

enable
conf t
snmp-server community private ro view admin
snmp-server view admin 1.3.6.1.4.1.1991 included
write mem

And I'm able to snmpwalk with:

snmpwalk -c private -v 2c $SWITCH_IP 1.3.6.1.4.1.1991

Now to get some SNMP to influxdb action going on!!!
I'd love to see a writeup of your InfluxDB setup when you get it working! I like pretty charts. :D

Also, for the good of the order-- I'm currently trying to make sense of Splunk (there's a low-volume free licence, maybe <5gb a day?)-- would folks be interested in a writeup on that, if anything useful shakes out of it?

Reactions: mwarps