How to access expansion slots on this supermicro chassis?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I wasn't able to figure out how to open cage to access pci-e expansion slot on a supermicro 6018 u chassis. It is not clear what I need to pull.
The picture of the case is here for context:

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
You pull the whole metal bracket, right where the label says, which will have any PCIe cards and the risers coming out at once.

Reactions: Bert

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
Also, it's a supermicro chassis, so you probably have to unscew a few things to get the cage out... they aren't always quick release like dell/etc.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
You pull the whole metal bracket, right where the label says, which will have any PCIe cards and the risers coming out at once.
I tried to pull that several times with significant force but there seems to be something keeping things in place. I assume it is safe to pull out expansion cards and riser like that but it definitely feels weird.

Also, it's a supermicro chassis, so you probably have to unscew a few things to get the cage out... they aren't always quick release like dell/etc.
Yes most likely there are some screws but I cannot see any screw I can reach. By any chance, do we know where the screws are ?

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
I tried to pull that several times with significant force but there seems to be something keeping things in place. I assume it is safe to pull out expansion cards and riser like that but it definitely feels weird.

Yes most likely there are some screws but I cannot see any screw I can reach. By any chance, do we know where the screws are ?
Looks like one to the right of the word "RELEASE" and there are probably 2-3 screws on the back of the case that screw into the bracket, possibly some on the side of the case as well, probably where those arrow stickers are on the corners of the bracket.

-- Dave

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
There should be some latches with arrow that you need to flip in addition on the rear of the chassis.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
There should be some latches with arrow that you need to flip in addition on the rear of the chassis.
Thanks opened the 2 latches at the back and I was able to remove the bracket and the rest of the assembly as you mentioned.