Xeon D-1541 Quanta storage servers on ebay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

megalo

Apr 12, 2020
I'm purchasing these myself for ceph/storage as well so if you end up sourcing the trays please keep us informed.
Speaking of informed, my contact at QCT provided me the latest BIOS for these unit(s): 2020WW21.1_S1Q_3A15.zip
Has anyone been able to source 3.5" trays/caddies?

Edit: Alternatively, are trays totally necessary to work properly? 3d printing an option?

Last edited:

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com

Edit: Alternatively, are trays totally necessary to work properly? 3d printing an option?
I would say that they are necessary to work properly. Otherwise you are just putting drives in without being attached to anything and with spinning HDD's that creates a lot of movement even more with 12 drives spinning around.

oldfett

Jul 20, 2016
Unfortunately a no for me. I emailed Quanta and a few of their distributors asking to buy a few dozen (hoping quantity would help grease the wheels and I could just resell the rest). I haven't gotten a response and at this point likely don't anticipate one.

megalo

Apr 12, 2020
Does anyone happen to have a "parts" chassis and willing to sell the SAS expander/PDB with the bracket that sits at the back end of the drive portion of the chassis?

Last edited:

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
Does anyone happen to have a "parts" chassis and willing to sell the SAS expander/PDB with the bracket that sits at the back end of the drive portion of the chassis? One of the units I bought is missing it, unknown to me, and I haven't been able to find it.
Most likely good luck finding these. I would return it if you can't use it.

semidetached

Sep 18, 2018
If anyone is still interested in these, rhinotechnology accepted $190/ea for two units.
They no longer come with internal trays or rails, but there are still 6 2.5" SATA trays included and 4 x 10GbE.

lnxpro

Mar 1, 2016
Does anyone happen to have a "parts" chassis and willing to sell the SAS expander/PDB with the bracket that sits at the back end of the drive portion of the chassis?
I got an extra chassis with the expander board. PM me if you are in the US and are still looking for one.

avluis86

Feb 26, 2021
Norfolk, VA
anusr.us
If anyone is still interested in these, rhinotechnology accepted $190/ea for two units.
They no longer come with internal trays or rails, but there are still 6 2.5" SATA trays included and 4 x 10GbE.
These are great units; while I wouldn't grab any without all the needed parts, these are still at an awesome deal for what they are.
A little bit of 3D printing or CNC can get you a nice backplate as well if you wish to transplant into a reguler (maybe a Supermicro) chassis.

Reactions: semidetached

asmo

Jul 11, 2018
Pulled out one of these I'd bought a while ago and it appears DOA, has anyone been able to resurrect these that have no POST/VGA/DHCP on BMC? CMOS battery replacement? All the fans and onboard LEDs have lots of activity but no output...

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
Curious ? for those that own, the motherboard is it special to the case? could it be pulled and used in a different case? are the connectors standard? Any dimensions on the board?

if you all have any upclose pictures that would be useful as well :)

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Curious ? for those that own, the motherboard is it special to the case? could it be pulled and used in a different case? are the connectors standard? Any dimensions on the board?

if you all have any upclose pictures that would be useful as well :)
DA0S1QTH8C0 QUANTA MAINBOARD FOR SD1Q-1ULH | eBay is listed as "MAINBOARD FOR SD1Q-1ULH" so should be that board.
Ive also been eyeing the board for the cpu at that price, looks like a nice lab node without much ilo/idrac etc overhead wattage.

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
DA0S1QTH8C0 QUANTA MAINBOARD FOR SD1Q-1ULH | eBay is listed as "MAINBOARD FOR SD1Q-1ULH" so should be that board.
Ive also been eyeing the board for the cpu at that price, looks like a nice lab node without much ilo/idrac etc overhead wattage.
Yea i was thinking the same but from what i see the PSU Connector is Proprietary based on the look its 16 pin with awkward cut holes could be a 12V only system but would have to do more digging to see if its even worth it...

asmo

Jul 11, 2018
Of the 2 I just received both did not POST and receive DHCP on
Did you receive these in working condition? I just got 2 from core4 and they're both not POSTing or getting DHCP on BMC. Giving an L shape then single led repeating pattern on status LEDs. Anyone have a decoder for the LED patterns?

semidetached

Sep 18, 2018
Did you receive these in working condition? I just got 2 from core4 and they're both not POSTing or getting DHCP on BMC. Giving an L shape then single led repeating pattern on status LEDs. Anyone have a decoder for the LED patterns?
Both of my units from this recent purchase came up with video on the VGA output. The only issue was dead CMOS batteries.

My first server from last year failed to POST and had no VGA output. I think I ended up clearing the BIOS/BMC settings via a jumper and eventually getting in that way.

asmo

Jul 11, 2018
Both of my units from this recent purchase came up with video on the VGA output. The only issue was dead CMOS batteries.

My first server from last year failed to POST and had no VGA output. I think I ended up clearing the BIOS/BMC settings via a jumper and eventually getting in that way.
I have replaced the CMOS battery and tried the bios default jumper circled here (power off, move jumper, power on, power off, move jumper, power on) with no luck on 3 different units. Were there any other jumpers that helped or anything you tried? I'm suspicious that all 3 of my units would be bad. Tried with both samsung ( M386A4G40DM0-CPB ) and micron ( ct32g4rfd4213.36fb1 ) dimms. No DHCP on BMC. I also tried plugging into the mini-usb port to see if it came up as a serial console but I didn't see anything with lsusb.

The machine starts up with fans full on, mobo has a little activity then does a reset where it cycles through a few LED patterns and then settles into repeating this one

Last edited: