Raid controllers that support 520/528 byte sector size

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gtcdma

Oct 29, 2020
Are there are commonly available SAS RAID controllers that support drives formatted with 528 bytes per sector, either in RAID or HBA mode, i.e. can expose them to the OS as 512 byte?

I've encountered some IBM SAS SSDs that, apparently, can't be formatted to 512 b/s (see this post), so I'm wondering if there's any way to use them as-is.

mnode

Jul 23, 2021
Not typically, without a lot of extra Frankenstein work.

Sector sizes in multiples of 512 - are typically working directly with OS direct exposure - raw block based storage. Once you get into the 520, 528 odd ball - not increments of 512 they are meant for SAN network arrays typically. The oddball sector size drives will also have special firmware and locked sectors sometimes. I've seen some people make a jbod array with netapp/emc machines. Probably had to jump through a lot of hoops.

Im going to guess your IBM drive is Seagate?

yemencit

Jun 17, 2022
How can be use jbod array to can reformat ibm hard disk drive from 528 to 512
Not typically, without a lot of extra Frankenstein work.

Sector sizes in multiples of 512 - are typically working directly with OS direct exposure - raw block based storage. Once you get into the 520, 528 odd ball - not increments of 512 they are meant for SAN network arrays typically. The oddball sector size drives will also have special firmware and locked sectors sometimes. I've seen some people make a jbod array with netapp/emc machines. Probably had to jump through a lot of hoops.

Im going to guess your IBM drive is Seagate?

Attachments