EXPIRED HUH728080AL5200: $119.95

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
What I want to know is how did it take this long for these drives to sell out?

my opinion, I brought a set of drives from the same seller, at the time when i paid $80 per drive, $10 per TB,
I though I overpaid $3 per TB.
$7 per TB was price point what I paid for high density drive, $5-6 per TB for 4TB

Price will come back down.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
my opinion, I brought a set of drives from the same seller, at the time when i paid $80 per drive, $10 per TB,
I though I overpaid $3 per TB.
$7 per TB was price point what I paid for high density drive, $5-6 per TB for 4TB

Price will come back down.
When it does there'll be a mad dash as all the pent up buying urges are satisfied and this will drive prices back up. :p I took a chance and ordered 2 4TB drives from this seller. Hopefully they'll be OK.

bash

Dec 14, 2015
scottsdale
Any seller that states you can get a drive with health in the low 90's is to be avoided. You will be RMAing some of these drives its not if its when.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
spinner hard disks should be ok. chia farming is practically the same as keeping them idle.

even if someone got some old SAS 10K spinners to plot on and hit them hard... well that's what those drives would be assumed to be used for anyway.

SSDS on the other hand would need some sort of proof of life (SMART results) showing if they've been worn out.

TrumanHW

Sep 16, 2018
PSA:

Helium drives (irrespective mfr) if HD failures exceed your fault-tolerance, and it's NOT the PCB ..? You're SCREWED!!

1. No head swaps, bc we can't refill the Helium.
2. Ace Labs STILL has NO Helium drives in their database yet...

MAKE SURE you have enough (RAIDz2 or more) parity drives to replace a failed drive...IF you're not backing up your RAID volume.

tonkyhonk

Feb 3, 2021
PSA:

Helium drives (irrespective mfr) if HD failures exceed your fault-tolerance, and it's NOT the PCB ..? You're SCREWED!!

1. No head swaps, bc we can't refill the Helium.
2. Ace Labs STILL has NO Helium drives in their database yet...

MAKE SURE you have enough (RAIDz2 or more) parity drives to replace a failed drive...IF you're not backing up your RAID volume.
IIRC Helium drives have a helium "indicator" in their SMART data - attribute 22.
It should read 100 (ie full)

Is there any data on helium drives' SMART-22 against lifetime?