Upgrade from ER-X for home gigabit

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bradford

May 27, 2016
I'm having to use my current home ER-X for a colocation project. Since ER-X seem unavailable at MSRP right now, and since I'm moving to a location with gigabit internet, I want to consider upgrading.

I have the following needs:
  • Gigabit throughout
  • Wireguard support
  • OpenVPN support
  • Low power
My wants:
  • Gigabit throughout with firewall, packet inspection, qos, etc
  • High OpenVPN throughout
  • Package/extension support
  • Low price

I've thought about getting a low power 1U pfsense or openwrt build. I have even considered mikrotik. I need something in the next two weeks. Any suggestions?

JJ27

Oct 24, 2018
If you go for your own build, take a look at VyOS, pretty much checks all your requirements and syntax is JunOS like (if you're used to that).

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
opnSense support both Wireguard and OpenVPN, but hardware-wise, ymmv.
If you want to run IDS/IPS on it, you'd need more power, this maybe of interest to you:

You could also consider built-ready such as Netgate 5100 or the newest 6100 (pre-order) firewalls. It doesn't do Wireguard right now, but likely it will soon. both would give you gig VPN speeds.

Bradford

May 27, 2016
If you go for your own build, take a look at VyOS, pretty much checks all your requirements and syntax is JunOS like (if you're used to that).
I'm definitely considering VyOS, OpenWRT, pfSense, and OpnSense. I believe getting gig wireguard will be easy, but getting fast openvpn will be difficult.

Right now I'm leaning toward retrofitting a thin client, but I would prefer one of those small 1U supermicro systems if I can find it.