ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Micro

Oct 20, 2019
some seller don't know what they sell.
that is stepping A0 (50655) not B1 (50657)
I probably explained that wrong. I meant post-QS, pre-Retail, such as delivered to big players (like 3rd gen scalable xeons right now).
what is the QDF ? Q??? (printed on the Heatspreader)
Only thing on the heatsink is "Intel Confidential" and no signs of alterations.

Reactions: RolloZ170

VMman

Jun 26, 2013
from the specs. it is a OEM(not sold to end customers by intel) QS CPU.
the prod.unit: E5-2676V4 16C 32HT base 2.4Ghz turbo 3.0Ghz 145W
Do you think these will work with Supermicro mainboards? Do the same rules usually apply with OEM as ES in terms of BIOS support?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Do you think these will work with Supermicro mainboards?
sure they work.
OEM have just some other specs for special requirements, mostly more AVX512 clock.
take note to the max. TDP support of the board.

Do the same rules usually apply with OEM as ES in terms of BIOS support?
no. the OEM wants special CPU and gets a QS first for free. OEM QS share standard microcode and stepping.

VMman

Jun 26, 2013
sure they work.
OEM have just some other specs for special requirements, mostly more AVX512 clock.
take note to the max. TDP support of the board.

no. the OEM wants special CPU and gets a QS first for free. OEM QS share standard microcode and stepping.
Thank you, I may get a few to test then.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
thanks, I found this post on Reddit with the same issue, not booting up in dual CPU.
https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/njaded
E5-1620 v4 is a UniProcessor CPU
E5-2620 V4 ia DualProcessor CPU
E5-4620 V4 is a QuadProcessor CPU.
in my eyes: if they are DP processors, why call them 1100 ? crazy !
if you see the AWS-1100 V4 in CPU-Z and the ES mark, the processor is a QS !!! (all QS have intel confidential on the HS and the QDF with base clock)

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I found this post on Reddit with the same issue, not booting up in dual CPU
one cpu only is working. he could check the 2S support with HWinfo.
update:
the AWS-1100v4 ES is working in pairs on a X10DAi
AWS-1100v4 HWinfo sum.jpgPIC

AWS-1100v4 CBR15 DP.jpgPIC

Last edited:

Dimon3D

Jul 27, 2021
Hello friends!

I bought 2x Xeon Platinum 8222L QS version (A0) and motherboard supermicro X11DPH-T, BIOS version was installed 3.4 which does not start these processors. I update to the latest version 3.4a - no effect.
I read the entire forum thread, here we discussed similar processors, many talk about the BIOS mod, but someone does not allow the BIOS to be downloaded.

Can anyone give a patched BIOS to support this processor?

thnx.

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
Hello friends!

I bought 2x Xeon Platinum 8222L QS version (A0) and motherboard supermicro X11DPH-T, BIOS version was installed 3.4 which does not start these processors. I update to the latest version 3.4a - no effect.
I read the entire forum thread, here we discussed similar processors, many talk about the BIOS mod, but someone does not allow the BIOS to be downloaded.

thnx.
Supermicro 3.x bioses are signed and cannot be modified. Can you try a 2.x version BIOS? If that does not work, I can try and add the microcode to add support for you

Reactions: Dimon3D

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
the BIOS 3.4 still includes the A0 microcode.
X11DPH0.B03.jpg3.4
i have heared from other user about problems getting 8222(C)L to run.
these processors have 200W TDP but that seems not the complete story. some chineese seller talking about a broken TDP value.
Also some supermicro boards need a VRM upgrade(just VRM controller table update) by supermicro to support max. TDP Gen2 CPU.

Last edited:

Dimon3D

Jul 27, 2021
Supermicro 3.x bioses are signed and cannot be modified. Can you try a 2.x version BIOS? If that does not work, I can try and add the microcode to add support for you
should I take a standard BIOS version 2.x (not patched) and flash it the same way as I previously flashed for version 3.4a?

or should i add my processor microcode first?
I unfortunately have little experience to add microcode to BIOS ...

Awingfield05

Jul 28, 2021
Apparently some ebay buyer managed to get one of the blank x299 CPUs to work, but the information surrounding it is quite lacking.

Not sure if I'm allowed to link the seller, but if you search the above title in sold items you can probably find the review. Couldn't find anything beyond this yet though.
Getting one soon as well as a QLRX i9 7900x. In my past experiences these CPUS will only function on MSI motherboards and select few high end gigabyte motherboards that were launched upon the socket's release.
By reversing the bios to the first version (2017) on those X299 motherboards, the cpu will likely function.
Derived from others pictures of the cpu after the mess that the guy called "delidding", I can confirm it isn't a mechanical sample. Could be pre-pre production and wasn't ever meant to leave the OEM.

Dimon3D

Jul 27, 2021
the BIOS 3.4 still includes the A0 microcode.
View attachment 193733.4
i have heared from other user about problems getting 8222(C)L to run.
these processors have 200W TDP but that seems not the complete story. some chineese seller talking about a broken TDP value.
Also some supermicro boards need a VRM upgrade(just VRM controller table update) by supermicro to support max. TDP Gen2 CPU.
Yes you are right. I found at Sepermikro MB X11SRL-F where it says:
- To support 165W W-2200 CPUs, BIOS 2.0 & VRM update by Supermicro are required

And how to make 200TDP for my processor, I can't find information anywhere. If someone can help I will be grateful!
thanx.