Be careful out there riding motorcycles

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
All, please be careful when riding around and be careful with other drivers. Especially with the texting and driving, etc. going on. Whatever it is it can wait until you are in a safe area to do so. Lost a friend in a bike accident a little over 1 week ago. He was 27 years ago and a birthday just about a week away. Life is short and our time together is even shorter. Please don't take moments for granted and treat friendship carelessly. They all can disappear as fast as they appeared.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Dad is a retired cop in southern Germany and saw many such motorcycle deaths. At 16 I contemplated buying a 80ccm bike. He said no, wait for a car at 18. I was miffed, living in the countryside, and not getting into town easily. Now, being his age he was back then, and having seen many deaths myself in local news, I comprehend. It was the right decision. Not only do you have to be a super careful driver yourself, you also have to anticipate all kinds of mistakes and reckless behaviour from others on the road, every time, all the time. Jumping out of a working plane with a parachute seems a safer sport to me. I realize it is hard for most owners to just sell the bike and do something else.

Anyhow. At 19 when I went to study at a university 300 km away, dad negotiated for me with a seller to get a suitably safe car: A 6cyl 6-speed BMW E34. Quite the 1990s road tank. ;-) Later I adopted his mindset and funny enough, it has served me very well in IT.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Sorry to hear of your loss.

I took the Motorcycle Safety Foundation class, but then decided I am the wrong personality to get a bike.

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
Sorry to hear of your loss.

I took the Motorcycle Safety Foundation class, but then decided I am the wrong personality to get a bike.
Wrong personality as you want to go fast and drive a little crazy?

I've always wanted one, however I knew if I got one when I was younger I'd be dead. Still want one 20 years later, however with how bad people are now with their phones it's a little more scary.

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Too inexpensive and easy to buy something that a beginner should not be on.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Sorry to hear that.
As for cars though, heck, I considered myself a careful driver until decided to make a turn without checking what's IN FRONT of me. It was winter and I was completely distracted checking out if the road I was planning to turn onto was passable(due to snow buildup). Ended up in just a minor scratch to both cars, but I could have done the same thing with a truck in front of me. Or bus. And won't be sitting here telling a story. We're all imperfect and make mistakes. Never thought I would make such a huge one. But here we are.
Bikes are way too scary for me, while car can SOMEWHAT protect you, on a bike you're on your own.