THE CHIA FARM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

msg7086

May 2, 2017
Vendors have officially changed MSRP to almost double. Seagate 16TB Expansion was $295 but is now $540. Even with no Chia purchase you won't get the drives anywhere cheap.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I have 5tb 2.5" usb SMR drives. Happy to sell them $110 + shipping. They are from Costco and unopened. I have close to 10 of them.

I have also 8tb 3.5“ SMR drives . I have 3 of them left but not sure if I want to sell them at $160 a piece.

I put all of them on Craigslist in any case and there are no buyers. I think rush is over.

If chia prices crash, there may be a big dump on Hard drives from miners. Some miners will hold on and hope that prices will recover and some miners will try to quit and cut their losses. We will see. Chia is right now in deep trouble due to pooling issues.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Vendors have officially changed MSRP to almost double. Seagate 16TB Expansion was $295 but is now $540. Even with no Chia purchase you won't get the drives anywhere cheap.
Yes I saw that. I reinstated my BLT order after that. I have 20 16tb drives at 320. Though, vendors may halve the prices next month as well.

BTW, does all 16tb USB seagate drives comes exos drives in them?

NateS

Apr 19, 2021
Sacramento, CA, US
Well looking at the github repo his changes are performant, nothing strange or terrible. I'll throw this into my build in a docker container when I get some time tomorrow and give it a whirl.

I think the big improvements and the reason you won't see this pulled into the mainline is that instead of being pure python he is going down into C++ which will require a code compilation.

Thanks for posting!
The official plotter is also written in C++

Which is kinda shocking as it implies that pooling is not even close to being ready if they still can make such fundamental changes at this point.
I mean, it was to be expected given their "we are only naming phases" scheme, but that tells me we are looking at 3 to 6 months before pooling will be publicly available :(
Yeah I read somewhere that they had to throw out their old idea and essentially start from scratch recently. I think you're right that we're looking at 3-6 months minimum before official pools.

iotapi322

Sep 8, 2017
I have 5tb 2.5" usb SMR drives. Happy to sell them $110 + shipping. They are from Costco and unopened. I have close to 10 of them.

I have also 8tb 3.5“ SMR drives . I have 3 of them left but not sure if I want to sell them at $160 a piece.

I put all of them on Craigslist in any case and there are no buyers. I think rush is over.

If chia prices crash, there may be a big dump on Hard drives from miners. Some miners will hold on and hope that prices will recover and some miners will try to quit and cut their losses. We will see. Chia is right now in deep trouble due to pooling issues.
Microcenter has WD external enclosure 8TB for $150

Reactions: Bert

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
so i have a nicely loaded dell r720 with 2x e5-2680v2, 256gb ram and modified 8+8 bay 2.5 trays, original 8 bays are sas2 connected to internal raid card which was upgraded and the other 8 bay is sas3 from a newer dell r730 added and runs off a internal lsi card. It also has an external sas 3 card. the two sas3 cards are in it mode. This was my truenas system until recently. Also have 16 bay 3.5 Supermicro 4u case with sas3 external links that held the drives. I was planning to sell it once i finalized my new storage solution. I think at the time of purchasing my new solution, i estimated the sell of price around 1800 give or take. But now it seems like pricing of the items are way up there now due to chia. Have others notice server equipment, typically used for storage going up as well? Anyone try selling their old stuff for the higher prices? Just curious as i will eventually need to inventory the units and put them up for sale.

I am assuming it would not be worth getting involved with Chia now due to difficulty getting drives etc..

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Yes and correct - dont get in if you don't have everything you need already (or need it anyway).

Reactions: marcoi

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
I've never heard anyone saying Seagate Exos lines are garbage.
Maybe they're making some model thats not trash but you know what they say, fool me once, fool me twice.

Over the course of two decades, whenever I've said "maybe I should try the newest Seagate drives, I hear they've made lots of improvement over the trash they used to sell", I've always come to regret it very strongly.

msg7086

May 2, 2017
Maybe they're making some model thats not trash but you know what they say, fool me once, fool me twice.

Over the course of two decades, whenever I've said "maybe I should try the newest Seagate drives, I hear they've made lots of improvement over the trash they used to sell", I've always come to regret it very strongly.
I guess you are using full SSD now because Seagate, WD, HGST(IBM) all made garbage drives before.

NateS

Apr 19, 2021
Sacramento, CA, US
I guess you are using full SSD now because Seagate, WD, HGST(IBM) all made garbage drives before.
HGST is actually owned by WD now, and the drives are WDs under the hood. The other manufacturer besides WD and Seagate who makes drives themselves instead of just relabeling is Toshiba.

And yes, all of them have put out some terrible products over the years, as well as some excellent ones. Spinning rust is a fundamentally unreliable technology, so failures are to expected from any brand -- that's why we have RAID. It's valid to compare failure rates between the different manufacturers, but you really need to do that for a particular capacity point or year for it to mean much, because when a new technology is introduced (such as HAMR/MAMR), that can change the whole picture. Backblaze data is pretty useful for making those kinds of comparisons: Backblaze Hard Drive Stats

Reactions: funkywizard

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
There's no 16TB Barracuda, how is it possible to get 2 barracudas from 16TB externals?
Yep missed the 16TB part. Corrected in my reply.

At least they all came with Seagate drives so that you can rest assured no matter what model they are, they are definitely garbage.
So out of interest, who do you favor as a manufacturer ?. Any particular reason ?.

Not that I particually like Seagate, had a number of problems with past drives of theirs but also go hit with WD green issues.

I now tend to stick to HGST enterprise drives where possible which has generally worked out well for my use cases at home.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Yep missed the 16TB part. Corrected in my reply.

So out of interest, who do you favor as a manufacturer ?. Any particular reason ?.

Not that I particually like Seagate, had a number of problems with past drives of theirs but also go hit with WD green issues.

I now tend to stick to HGST enterprise drives where possible which has generally worked out well for my use cases at home.
HGST has been extremely reliable for me. WD has been mostly adequate depending on which model you get (WD Blue = trash, Black and Raid Edition have always been good)

Reactions: StevenDTX