HGST He8 Ultrastar 8TB HUH728080AL5200 $82

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
IMHO you just need to wait a couple more months until the CCP has cracked down better on bitcoin or chia. 2/3 of worldwide bitcoin is mined in China. CCP wants to stop capital flight over these crypto coins. I think "slightly used" GPUs and HDD/SSDs will soon enter the market via Shenzhen and other locations, driving down prices. BTC liquidation is in full swing, without Musk even tweeting something.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
IMHO you just need to wait a couple more months until the CCP has cracked down better on bitcoin or chia. 2/3 of worldwide bitcoin is mined in China. CCP wants to stop capital flight over these crypto coins. I think "slightly used" GPUs and HDD/SSDs will soon enter the market via Shenzhen and other locations, driving down prices. BTC liquidation is in full swing, without Musk even tweeting something.
Well, I was originally bullish on Chia because unlike bitcoin mining, chia mining cannot be detected easily.

IMHO, primary driver of crypto is chinese capital controls so if chinese miners see the same oppurtunity as I do, chia may go up again until eth proof of stake comes in.

• Haha
Reactions: Samir

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I think we can all just need these crypto mania to go away so we can get back to the day of cheap or correctly priced and available components

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Chia mania is over. I see 14tb is selling for 380 on bit deals now. It will probably go lower in a week once they realize no one is buying anymore
hmm - you really think so?

Refurb 16TB SAS EXOS 16 drives were sub 300 USD at the beginning of January - quick bay search says about twice that for seller refurb'ed - mine were seagate refurb'ed too. That's a lot less than your 14TB @ 380.00

HGST 4200/4201/5200 8TB used/refurbed drives are still on the bay for ~180-200 USD.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
hmm - you really think so?

Refurb 16TB SAS EXOS 16 drives were sub 300 USD at the beginning of January - quick bay search says about twice that for seller refurb'ed - mine were seagate refurb'ed too. That's a lot less than your 14TB @ 380.00

HGST 4200/4201/5200 8TB used/refurbed drives are still on the bay for ~180-200 USD.
Give them a few weeks to realize the reality.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
I also have a hunch the prices will start dropping quickly soon. Put a basic calculation into the chiacalculator.com on 'advanced' mode but with default inputs, and buying a drive at $20/TB would recover half it's price in 6 months, with declining earnings after that. I think eventually the mining worth of a terabyte will drop down to match the price of electricity of keeping a terabyte drive spinning.

Well, I was originally bullish on Chia because unlike bitcoin mining, chia mining cannot be detected easily.

IMHO, primary driver of crypto is chinese capital controls so if chinese miners see the same oppurtunity as I do, chia may go up again until eth proof of stake comes in.
so the idea is that if China isn't allowed to mine/speculate on bitcoin, then chia might be used as an evasion? interesting.

Personally, as the proud owner of two chiacoin, my idea scenario would be if china was prevented from mining, but still allowed to buy and speculate and drive up the price :)

Jonesgold

Aug 10, 2018

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I have seen again and again, if a drive is less than 100% health in hdsentinel, drive causes data loss. I tried to "fix" these drives by using surface test, "low level formatting" etc but none of them prevented data loss as bad sectors always get written and looses data. I am not sure why this is happening as in theory bad sectors must be marked and prevented from storing data. I strongly suggest avoiding disks less than 100% health.

Reactions: fohdeesha and Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
what are you talking about? fake HDD and fake GPU? these sas hdd are supposed to be old stuff decommissioned. It would cost a lot to try to fake making a HDD..
Not really--swap labels from a consumer model and rewrite the firmware.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I run a long SMART test, I dunno if that's good enough or not but it seems to catch most of the drives that I buy w/wiped SMART data that is hiding defects. Had 10/40 4TB drives I bought on Ebay last month fail this way and had to be sent back.
I typically run smart long tests too. Pretty easy to do 8 drives at a time with my esata tower and a live boot of parted magic.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I'd file a dispute with your CC or paypal if they're not answering, that should get their attention.
If you're filing a dispute with your cc, it's just going to get you a fast refund, not the drives. If they're already swamped, they probably wouldn't even reply to the 72hr notice CC companies send merchants, which triggers an automatic refund with no work on their part and one less order to deal with.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO

The primary driver is the same driver behind Tulip mania...;)o_Oo_Oo_O

Reactions: Bert

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
...then chia might be used as an evasion? interesting.
The only thing cryptocurrancies are being used for is evasion, money laundering, black money exchanges, randomware payments and a host of other illegal activities where evasion is the prime principle.

These were originally a 'solution without a problem', but have now found their home in the criminal world as a great solution to replace money mules.

These things need to be shut down/destroyed as they're just fuel for fires that civilized society has been trying to put out for decades.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
The only thing cryptocurrancies are being used for is evasion, money laundering, black money exchanges, randomware payments and a host of other illegal activities where evasion is the prime principle.

These were originally a 'solution without a problem', but have now found their home in the criminal world as a great solution to replace money mules.

These things need to be shut down/destroyed as they're just fuel for fires that civilized society has been trying to put out for decades.
As well as taking away the GPU and hard drives from power end users like us ;)

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021

I honestly cant tell if this is satire or if anybody still actualy belive stuff like this.