New to AMD processors - how to buy EPYC Rome?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
I've built several Intel servers but am now looking to build my first server using an AMD proc (EPYC Rome to be specific):

1) Is there any difference between box vs tray (ie, warranty)?

2) What's the scoop on the HPE kits I see on Provantage? Can these be used on Supermicro motherboards?

3) Any tips on which torque screwdriver to get?

Thanks in advance!

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
The thing i can tell you for sure is that they cost at least double they did back in november last year. You'll be lucky to find one available at lower prices.
HPE are not vendor locked adn you should be fine. Dell EMC are.
T20 tip, I always just used a bit and a screwdriver from my ifixit kit.

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
The thing i can tell you for sure is that they cost at least double they did back in november last year. You'll be lucky to find one available at lower prices.
Yep. I'm prepared for the prices to suck.

T20 tip, I always just used a bit and a screwdriver from my ifixit kit.
How'd you know how much torque to apply? It seems like these things are pickier than the older Xeons I'm used to.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
I don't. Do I have to? I just gently tighten the thing until I feel it's enough lol
So far I've swapped EPYCs for a few times and never had any troubles with that. :rolleyes:

Reactions: uldise

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Is it really a rocket science? Sounds like a bad design that there's no clean and obvious stop to the screwdriver... I tend to never overtighten things in electric appliances.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
yes, there are at good quality if you get the original one. they are mostly around 10-25 euro.

i used this key for my threadrripper and epyc builds, without any problems.
i got the key inside threadripper cpu package

ca3y6

Apr 3, 2021
Stupid question: what is the point of buying an AMD if it is at twice the price? I thought the whole point was that it had slower cores, but more cores for the same price than Intel. If the price argument goes away, then you just have a slower CPU? Or is it more PCIe lanes?

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
yes, there are at good quality if you get the original one. they are mostly around 10-25 euro.

i used this key for my threadrripper and epyc builds, without any problems.
i got the key inside threadripper cpu package
Thanks! Do all of the AMD procs and TR keys use the same torque value of 14.0 lbf-in?

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
Stupid question: what is the point of buying an AMD if it is at twice the price? I thought the whole point was that it had slower cores, but more cores for the same price than Intel. If the price argument goes away, then you just have a slower CPU? Or is it more PCIe lanes?
Personally, I'm in it for the PCIe lanes.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
Thanks! Do all of the AMD procs and TR keys use the same torque value of 14.0 lbf-in?
i dont know much about lbf-in, but i know all of threadrippers (1ste, 2nd, 3rd gen) use the same key, meaning 1.5Nm torque force. the same as for all epyc's (1st, 2nd and 3rd gen).

so, when you find orange colour key, you are good to go. 99.99% sure about it :)

Mace

Feb 3, 2021
I used a 'thread-ripper' torque wrench, but you can clearly feel when it's time to stop screwing with a normal torx-screwdriver. There is a distinct feeling of the screw getting difficult to turn further.

kbhinkle

Jan 11, 2021
Hello,
I am looking for 64 Core Rome ES CPU's. As many as 8-10. 'JUG5' ES p/n's are fine. If anyone has any insight (other than Ebay) a connection would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
Hello,
I am looking for 64 Core Rome ES CPU's. As many as 8-10. 'JUG5' ES p/n's are fine. If anyone has any insight (other than Ebay) a connection would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Ebay is really your only option for ES outside of the random one(s) that might pop up here, Reddit, or other small forums.