10Gbe point to point

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I have recently aquired a pair of hp branded broadcom 10Gbe nics SFP+
HP Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 530SFP+

I would like to do a switchless direct line between my windows 8.1 workstation and my linux NAS but haven't the foggiest on how to do it.
I have the cards and I have a pair of transceivers but no cables.

Where do I start. :)

mervincm

Jun 18, 2014
I am assuming the NAS and your desktop also have a 1 GB nic each on your reg network? unless you only want to use IP addresses to connect to NAS, I suggest you come up with a DIFFERENT name for the NAS 10 gig interface and put it in your DNS or host file.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Depends on your transceivers
Right... I have noticed there are cables that include them... but are you referring to something else as well?

HP P/N 455858-001
Edit 455885-001

Last edited:

Stanza

Jan 11, 2014
Cables with them included (well they are not really the same but yes let's pretend they are ) are called DAC cables
Not fibre optic, but copper

Come in lengths

1m
3m
5m

So depends if you need longer than 5m in between the two machines or not

Oh DAC = Direct attach copper....
Another name for it is twinax

mervincm

Jun 18, 2014
Need the information on the transceivers. That part number does not seem to be right. If you want to use your transceivers, you can just get an appropriate fibre patch cable (monoprice sells them new for 10$-20$) this would the the simplest option. Just make sure to get the right fibre patch. I am 90% sure that your transceiver will be LC connectors. so you want LC to LC. then you need to check if your transceivers are single mode or multi mode etc. If they are like this 455883-B21, the typical short range 850nm (inside the DC type) SFP+ transceiver, then you want something like this.

10Gb Fiber Optic Cable, LC/LC, Multi Mode, Duplex - 1 Meter (50/125 Type) - Aqua - Monoprice.com

mervincm

Jun 18, 2014
If you don't want to use the transceivers you can buy a combo cable called a TWINAX (or DAC) They act like 2 transceivers and a cable all in one. You just slide them into the empty SFP+ slot on each card and you are done. Sometimes you get into artificial and real compatibility issues, so order the supported HP cable if possible.

Both options perform equally.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011

This is what I have. ... lol... I flipped 2 numbers in the post... I did that when I searched it too. Arg...