storage gold rush?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
No idea which sizes are potentially SMR. One of the benefits of SMR was supposed to be larger drives.
But sustained sequential writes are definitely one of the weak points of this technology. If you don't give the drive some time to sort itself out in between large writes, performance drops drastically.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
You don't have that for chia storage - at least not all the time.
You have finalized plots (100G ea at current default size) and move that to perm storage after completion and then only get smaller reads until the next plot completes.

Main question is whether you buy for Chia only (then write performance mattes less than absolute size and or price/TB) or for reuse later...

Mace

Feb 3, 2021
This is getting ridiculous fast...My favorite shuckable drives (WD My Book 12 TB) have gone up form EUR 220 to EUR 360 in a day or 2. Bought most of them for an all time low of EUR 170. Luckily I've got 2 'in stock', in case one of the drives that are in use fail.

Reactions: Layla

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
You don't have that for chia storage - at least not all the time.
You have finalized plots (100G ea at current default size) and move that to perm storage after completion and then only get smaller reads until the next plot completes.

Main question is whether you buy for Chia only (then write performance mattes less than absolute size and or price/TB) or for reuse later...
What's the point\need for perm storage? What if you had your plots, farmed them, and then over wrote them what will happen? If you manage to get some Chia coins and have them in your wallet or sell them, why would you want to or need to keep the 100G tied up?

Reactions: Brian Puccio

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Well the "farming" is done on the plot files, and the more plot files you have (=space you use) the higher is the chance of getting coins. Theoretically you can delete a winning plot o/c but its gonna be only 100G of many TBs you occupy for farming...

cbarbie

Mar 10, 2011
US-VA
I used to buy larger drives to prevent expanding out of my SC846 to another chassis. Went from 8TB to 10TB to 12TB... Mostly used for warm storage (3 copies of each file on the server, one on a backup server). I had been holding on to those drives in to resell them in bulk. Last year I began purchasing 16/18TB drives to swap in. Currently sitting at 287TB with 23% free, growing about 1.5TB a week.

Now it is cheaper to purchase a used SC847 and move my system into that allowing me to reuse some of the older drives. The SC846 will become a standby in case this "rush" goes too long.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I guess I am late to the party watching (beyond spot searches) storage and related prices.

I just noticed the HGST SAS HE8, HE10's seem to be mostly gone from eBay US and the ones that are still there are 200% what they were a month ago.

This is really incredible to watch! In December I hit 75% on my 8TB based arrays so figured I'd upgrade by replacing the arrays wholesale. Bought 33 16TB SAS drives at the end of the year. Holy cow I am glad I did.

Last month I picked up P3605 because I was able to add another 836 chassis for not a whole lot .
P3605 price I thought at the time was a little high ~200.00. Now?

Oh. My. Goodness. You Have Got To Be Kidding Me!

I may need to hold onto the 8TB drives I have 'cause it may be a while before the market opens up again.

I'm also wondering how much of the early Chia farming caused the shortage/disappearance of the 16-24 3.5" drive SM server chassis. I originally thought it was just a big increase in home server storage but now I am not so sure.

Disk Shelves (Sun, NetAPP etc) seem to also be increasing in price from where they were last month!

Reactions: Layla

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
This is really incredible to watch! In December I hit 75% on my 8TB based arrays so figured I'd upgrade by replacing the arrays wholesale. Bought 33 16TB SAS drives at the end of the year. Holy cow I am glad I did.
Just wondering, how much did they go for, those 16tb sas?

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Just wondering, how much did they go for, those 16tb sas?
~290/drive for white label seagate factory refurbs. Not what I think qualified as a "Great Deal" at the time so I did not post it.
For me: lack of space, end of year, funds available - made this the right deal for me.

With the gold rush I know I could make a few quick bucks flipping the drives - but I want the space - looking to the short term future if I need more space then those 8TB I have would also come in handy since I have bays and the drives.

Heck I am pretty sure even my 9 year old 67K hour 3TB drives probably still have value to some folks who are chia farming.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
I guess I am late to the party watching (beyond spot searches) storage and related prices.

I just noticed the HGST SAS HE8, HE10's seem to be mostly gone from eBay US and the ones that are still there are 200% what they were a month ago.

Last month I picked up P3605 because I was able to add another 836 chassis for not a whole lot .
P3605 price I thought at the time was a little high ~200.00. Now?

Oh. My. Goodness. You Have Got To Be Kidding Me!

I may need to hold onto the 8TB drives I have 'cause it may be a while before the market opens up again.

I'm also wondering how much of the early Chia farming caused the shortage/disappearance of the 16-24 3.5" drive SM server chassis. I originally thought it was just a big increase in home server storage but now I am not so sure.

Disk Shelves (Sun, NetAPP etc) seem to also be increasing in price from where they were last month!
I bought up nearly 30x of 36 bay supermicro sas3 chassis = D

• Wow
Reactions: itronin

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I bought up nearly 30x of 36 bay supermicro sas3 chassis = D
How much did you pay per chasis?

I am also curious if you are going to be able to set up and provision all these machines, at that level you need pretty good tools to keep the cluster up and running.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
How much did you pay per chasis?

I am also curious if you are going to be able to set up and provision all these machines, at that level you need pretty good tools to keep the cluster up and running.
I'm not mining on these. Might, but not currently. Rented out 14 servers to a customer. The rest I'm just hanging onto.

I forget the cost, under 1k each with an e5v4 motherboard included.

Last edited:

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Cheapest price is still 30%+, I think they will update the price after this weekend, but other more known retailers have doubled the price (600+ €, was ~300€ no even two weeks ago) and have waiting times of two or more weeks...
Cheapest listed price for exos x16 16tb sata is now 150%+, mindfactory.de (my reference for "normal" prices) is now at 252% (758€ as of today vs 301€ from 2021-04-02)

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
With the disk price increase, I think investing in WD or Seagate stocks would be safe and low risk.
Well the chance of them collapsing was relatively low before.
Cheapest listed price for exos x16 16tb sata is now 150%+, mindfactory.de (my reference for "normal" prices) is now at 252% (758€ as of today vs 301€ from 2021-04-02)
Guys, admit it, we all lost our chance to buy drives for normal work. I did stock up just a little bit right after posting this thread. The funny thing is we still have some high-capacity hdds at around normal prices here in japan.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Very true, but in a long shot this MAY but not necessary, cost you more later on. I mean, it's too late now anyway but just a general idea. Especially when you're talking about using it for business, risks of not having a spare parts are very real. And if a part is in high demand and low supply it's no-brainer.

Reactions: itronin