FS: SuperMicro Hot-Swap Server - $300 Denver

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ere109

Jan 19, 2021
Denver
This home server is as much valued for the case as the motherboard (maybe more). The X6 motherboard is EXCELLENT as a personal file server, and I've been able to use it with two cameras in Zoneminder, but that's the extent of its current reach. Ultimately, this is a great STARTER system for someone who just wants to try FreeNAS / TrueNAS with minimal investment. The good news is that a user could easily upgrade the motherboard at a later time and build upon a tremendous chassis and keep their drives/config. So what am I selling?
One SuperMicro SC742 hot swap chassis - with seven built-in hot-swap SATA drive cages plus four 5.25" expansion bays - combined with the SM X6DH8-G Server Motherboard that features IDE interface, SATA interface, and Ultra SCSI 320 Interface. Next come two additional hot-swap SATA drive cages, and redundant power supplies. This rack server is currently running the latest version of TrueNAS, and makes a great Windows SMB file server or Apple AFP / Time Machine setup, but could also take on roles as a PLEX Media Server or Zoneminder security server, and could easily transition over to FREENAS, UnRAID or Ubuntu Server. For the asking price, I'll include the server rails and all hard drives. I'm located in DENVER, but would help work out shipping. I accept cash, Paypal or money order.PXL_20210402_154858799-1.jpg
FEATURES:
SC742 4U-height chassis (CSE-742T-650)
* 7 x 3.5" hot swap SATA hard drive bays
* 2 x add-on hot-swap drives
* 4 x 5.25" drive bays
* 9 installed SATA drives (250GB - 2TB)
* 1 installed SSD boot drive
* 1 Sony 3.5" floppy drive
* 1 DVD Burner
* triple redundant power supplies
* 7 Solid aluminum hard drive tray caddies w/light pipes
PXL_20210405_144806320.jpg
PXL_20210405_144837864.jpg
Super Micro X6DH8-G Server Motherboard Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Motherboards | Xeon Boards | X6DH8-G
* Dual 64-bit Intel Xeon 3.0ghz Processors with two threads each
* 8GB DDR 333MHZ RAM (expandable to 32GB)
* 2 (x8) PCI-Express Ports
* Dual gigabit NIC's
* Ultra SCSI 320 Interface
* 2 x IDE connector
* 2 x SATA connector
* 1 floppy disk conroller
* IPMI add-on card (AOC-IPMI20-E) - fully activated
* Built-in ATI RageXL Graphics Processor
* USB 2.0
PXL_20210405_145020892.jpg

Reactions: itronin and Samir

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
I don't think you're going to find anyone interested in a 17 year old system unfortunately. At this point it's really in the territory of electronic waste as it's not worth the cost of electricity to run (a 5+ year old tablet will be faster). You might be able to get a bit for your SSD and the 2TB hard drive, but the rest should head for recycling. Even the chassis unfortunately as power supplies that old are going to be suspect and terribly inefficient by modern standards (and can't be upgraded).

Reactions: ere109

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Pretty cool vintage server--even has the older Supermicro logo on it. Definitely can't fault it's reliability and retro compatability with stuff like Ultra SCSI. It may not find much love here, but someone out there will be absolutely stoked to have this machine--don't give up on finding it a new home. :)

kromberg

Jan 18, 2021
In Denver and might be interested. I assume the backplane is SATA-I correct? What wattage is the power supply? I assume it is a full EPS one. PM with the answers along the specs of the drives.

• Love
Reactions: ere109 and Samir

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Cool old system, and really AMAZing that this was\is in use :)

Reactions: ere109

somename

Nov 11, 2011
This brings back memories, but boy those 110w Xeons...toasty.
Yeah, that will be the biggest drawback. Those Prescott gen is just awful with power. I ditched Northwood and went for Athlon that generation until Conroe. Athlon having ecc memory controller was big bonus. In fact, that's around the time I started dabbling with homelab, I think with Solaris 10. I think kept on with Athlon until Sandy Bridge Xeon. Intel was just running away with power efficiency. Athlon X2 idled at like 50w and xeon e3 at like 25. Oh man these dual p4 xeons gotta be drawing 100+ at idle.

Sorry. I'm not trying to threadcrap. Just nostalgia rush. I'm sure somebody will want this just for the case. They sure don't make 'em like that any more.

Reactions: Prof_G

ere109

Jan 19, 2021
Denver
It's all good. Thanks to everyone for looking. It has been great as a file server, and I'm hopeful that it will find a new home with a new life. I'll PM the member who inquired.