Fractal R2 XL with Server boards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LongTime

May 3, 2021
Hey, this is my first time building a server! I am planning to have server that has 2 x Intel E5 Xeon 2690-v4 on a Supermicro X10DRi motherboard. The issue stumbled to me that I don't think that my motherboard does not fit the case. The case is a Fractal Design XL R2. Does anyone have a solution or suggestion on a case that can make the motherboard fit?

kapone

May 23, 2015
umm.....yeah......Think about a proper server case to begin with.

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
I have a X10DRH-iT in the same case. It fits fine, what's your issue??

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Been there, done that.
Either drill some new holes yourself, or just ignore the missing standoffs. Be careful when installing or swapping components on the board. The lack of support makes some regions rather bendy.
That's one of the reasons why I don't recommend Fractal cases for SSI-EEB boards. If you are looking for a cheap alternative that doesn't come with compatibility issues: Phanteks Enthoo Pro

LongTime

May 3, 2021
Been there, done that.
Either drill some new holes yourself, or just ignore the missing standoffs. Be careful when installing or swapping components on the board. The lack of support makes some regions rather bendy.
That's one of the reasons why I don't recommend Fractal cases for SSI-EEB boards. If you are looking for a cheap alternative that doesn't come with compatibility issues: Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Thank you for answer! Do you recommend any other cases that can house a SSI-EEB boards in it? An extended version (E-ATX)

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
There are a lot more cases that can physically fit SSI-EEB boards: PC-Gehäuse mit Formfaktor Mainboard: E-ATX (SSI EEB, 12"x13") Preisvergleich geizhals.eu EU
But I don't have any experience with them, i.e. can't tell you if you will run into similar problems as with Fractal cases. I stuck with the Phanteks Enthoo Pro, because it fits my needs, and provides reasonable build quality for the price. I have been waiting for a case that ticks more boxes for me, but haven't come across any so far.

LongTime

May 3, 2021
There are a lot more cases that can physically fit SSI-EEB boards: PC-Gehäuse mit Formfaktor Mainboard: E-ATX (SSI EEB, 12"x13") Preisvergleich geizhals.eu EU
But I don't have any experience with them, i.e. can't tell you if you will run into similar problems as with Fractal cases. I stuck with the Phanteks Enthoo Pro, because it fits my needs, and provides reasonable build quality for the price. I have been waiting for a case that ticks more boxes for me, but haven't come across any so far.
Does a SSI-EEB boards fit perfectly in the Phanteks Enthoo Pro?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
But I don't have any experience with them, i.e. can't tell you if you will run into similar problems as with Fractal cases.
I had different lian li and chieftec chassis and they all missed at least one standoff at the bottom (and one at bottom right).

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Does a SSI-EEB boards fit perfectly in the Phanteks Enthoo Pro?
I built various machines with different generations of Supermicro SSI-EEB boards (they insist on calling it E-ATX) in this case. Plus some other motherboard brands.
No issues so far, everything fits inside, and the standoff positions matched all holes in the boards.
The only downside: the fans that come with this case are crap. I'd rather get the case 5€ cheaper without any fans. Be prepared to swap them out.

Last edited:

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
the issue isn't really ssi-eeb size but that SM likes to do non standard mounting holes.
There are cases that have have holes for SM boards, i can't remember them of the top of my head though.
If you look at pictures, the top left hole at the io-shield has to be in a straight line with the other ones below it.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
I'm telling yall, Phanteks Enthoo Pro provides all standoff mounting positions for Supermicro boards. Whatever standard they are using