Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

richtj99

Jul 8, 2017
I am using the 10gb sfp+ port and found that if I am using int e 1/2/1 and have multiple vlans tagged but none untagged on my ve interface my devices are offline.

I just untagged 1/2/1 with vlan 16 and all untagged ports on vlan 16 started responding.

I am a little confused as I would have expected that 1/2/1 tagged on vlan16 would allow 1/1/10 to 1/30 all to have vlan16 connectivity.

So it didn't actually start working until I untagged 1/2/1 - is this the expected behavior?

nerdalertdk

Fleet Admiral
Mar 9, 2017
::1
The 7150-48zp has been a very rare beast, no real deals. Not enough people have gotten them to even start modding.

That seller has taken $500 for them. But, you can get two of the other switches for that price easy. And, you can mod the others to make them quiet (except the 6610).
not quite a fair comparison since the ZP do have 16x2.5gbe with POH

Mark

Nov 6, 2014
Yep, and that would be the reason to pay the premium.

But do you actually need PoH/2.5g? I posted the ebay link to the 7150-48ZP saying I'd really love to have one for future expansion. But, I don't need it now...
... I was most excited for the usb c port :D It does runs a lot cooler than the 6610 and yes its a little louder.

Reactions: TonyArrr

klui

Feb 3, 2019
But do you actually need PoH/2.5g? I posted the ebay link to the 7150-48ZP saying I'd really love to have one for future expansion. But, I don't need it now...
Sure, for those who have WiFI 6 APs like the Ruckus R850. Last-gen or even older still does the job for me.

dennisp

Apr 1, 2021
I'm 94 pages in and already ordered a pair of 6610 to replace the Cisco 3750 I use at home. Also I get to learn some new tech and hopefully save some power in the process. 100+ pages to go but I skipped ahead to say thanks to @fohdeesha for sharing all of this info.
It took a week but I made it through all 266 pages. In the meantime, my 6610s arrived and I've already got them configured to replace the 3750s this weekend. The 6610s have been great so far, the guides and info posted here are spot on and it isn't much of a change coming from Cisco ios.

Regarding the sound, here is how I would describe the Rev A 6610s in layman's terms for someone considering using these in living spaces:

- The sound at startup (full blast) is an unholy banshee wail. It's like someone using a dust buster or hair dryer in the same room as you. If you were on the phone you would need to go to another room. It would need to be in a detached building or behind multiple layers of drywall/cinder block to be acceptable at home.

- After it boots, the sound becomes much more tolerable. It is about the volume you would keep a white noise machine at while sleeping. The quality of the sound is worse than pure white noise though, the frequencies are a bit grating and depending on your room and listening position, you can hear some really annoying high pitched harmonics. You could have a call in the same room no problem, but people on the other end might hear some background noise. You could run this at home as long as it is in a separate room, but you would still hear it at night through a wall if you live in a very quiet area.

- I don't hear any appreciable difference between having one power supply plugged in vs. 2. Maybe very slightly quieter with 2 but no real change to perceived sound levels.

Hopefully that helps people trying to decide between the 6610 and some of the quieter options.

dennisp

Apr 1, 2021
Oh and for people shopping for these now, I paid 165 each for the pair after tax and shipping, both with dual ears/fans/PSUs. The same seller has another pair up on ebay for the same bid - 269.99 plus shipping.

seatrope

Oct 5, 2018
Maine
www.ychng.com
Hi all! Been enjoying my 6610 and 6450 for 2 years now. Rock solid and just upgrading to 40Gbe on the rear ports.

one question which I can seem to find the answer to:
is anyone able to upgrade 6610 firmware without using the isolated management port and a usb (serial) cable? Ie can it be done just by SSH into the switch? Fohdeesha’s guide was great on the initial setup but now I want to go from 8030sa to 8030u.

Thanks!!

Jason Antes

Feb 28, 2020
Twin Cities
Hi all! Been enjoying my 6610 and 6450 for 2 years now. Rock solid and just upgrading to 40Gbe on the rear ports.

is anyone able to upgrade 6610 firmware without using the isolated management port and a usb (serial) cable? Ie can it be done just by SSH into the switch? Fohdeesha’s guide was great on the initial setup but now I want to go from 8030sa to 8030u.

Thanks!!
I can do it via BNA, not that it helps you in any way. that however, would indicate to me that you should be able to do it via SSH since that's what BNA uses in conjunction with SCP to transfer the image.

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019

Thanks!!
Yes I upgraded my 6450 to 8030u over ssh well after the initial setup following fohdeesha’s guide.

craig5571

May 31, 2020
I use the icx 7250-24p , Version 08.0.92T213 ..

i have vonage for my phone service . i have been told my phone calls have been breaking up alot..
is there a way to setup QOS to fix this.. ( just trying to find out if this is the issue)

my setup is this

arris surfboard 8200 ( cable modem) --> Aruba 9004 (code 8.7 used as WLC and firewall) ---> ICX 7250p ( 24 port)

also webex calls where i use my jabra enc-010 headset ( usb headset with a MIC) also breakup when i connect audio on it.

seatrope

Oct 5, 2018
Maine
www.ychng.com
I went back and looked at the full guide fohdeesha sent me. Somehow did not see this in the publicly available guide on his site, but voila, here it is on how exactly to do it without the whole serial thing.

From fohdeesha:
NOTE: If this switch has already been set up and configured with an IP and you just want to update the software/BL, use the files in the ZIP above to update the switch from inside the booted OS using:

#Skip this whole block if the switch has not yet been configured using this guide!

enable

copy tftp flash 192.168.1.8 grz10100.bin bootrom

copy tftp flash 192.168.1.8 FCXR08030sa.bin primary

##update the PoE firmware if you have PoE model.

inline power install-firmware stack-unit 1 tftp 192.168.1.8 fcx_poeplus_02.1.0.b004.fw

reload

Reactions: Jason Antes

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
I use the icx 7250-24p , Version 08.0.92T213 ..

i have vonage for my phone service . i have been told my phone calls have been breaking up alot..
is there a way to setup QOS to fix this.. ( just trying to find out if this is the issue)

my setup is this

arris surfboard 8200 ( cable modem) --> Aruba 9004 (code 8.7 used as WLC and firewall) ---> ICX 7250p ( 24 port)

also webex calls where i use my jabra enc-010 headset ( usb headset with a MIC) also breakup when i connect audio on it.
A quick search brought this up:

Which, is interesting because i was just wondering if these 7150s would do QoS for their VoIPs.

vpadro

Jul 16, 2015
So I got a 6610 and a 7250, the 7250 sometimes goes full banshee and am thinking of replacing the fans with the ones that are recommended in this thread, but still can't decide which ones will be better since I'm located and Mexico and sometimes mouser or digi can ship them way down here depending on their current stock, so which fan (mechatronics, sunon, delta) would definitely get the most upvotes for future reference?

Also does anybody have a spare 6610's fan that could sell me in a reasonable price? $69.99 plus tax, shipping and custom duties ($95-110 USD) are way more that I'd like to spend on ebay.

rootpeer

Oct 19, 2019
Hi, I have an ICX6610-24P-E on the way and I need some info about noise. I have searched the thread but did not find a definitive answer.

The switch has a single exhaust PSU and single exhaust fan module.

1. Will adding a second PSU or a second fan module (or both) make it quieter?
  2. Do all Rev. PSUs (A, B, C, etc) come in both intake and exhaust versions?
If it is the same as a Dell R710 with one exhaust PSU and one exhaust fan, then I don't mind. But if it is going to be louder, please advise!

moriel5

Aug 4, 2019
Hello everyone, I have been silent for a long time, since only now I have all the components necessary to start dipping my toes in this field.
I had bought myself a 2nd hand FCX648S-HPOE off eBay (I only needed 24 POE ports, however this was cheaper, including shipping to my country) last year, though I only managed to get myself an RS232 add-on board (not PCIe, just direct to the serial connector on the motherboard) from a dead Lenovo slim PC a month or two ago, and an RS232 cable a few days ago.

I use Solus on my desktop (dying AsRock H97M, in a few weeks I should have the money to order a 2nd hand ASUS H97 Pro Gamer off AliExpress), and it does use /dev/ttySx, however I am unable to get any terminal output off my switch with PicoCom.

Being the rookie I am, I have tried looking through the manuals and documentation (both of the switch, and PicoCom), however I could not find anything that could help me get dropped off to a terminal, and I have no idea whether I am doing something wrong , or if there is something that is simply not working on the hardware.

One of my main reasons for getting the switch was to learn, since I have also started taking online CCNA and CCNP courses.
And while the PSU fans certainly sound like a vaccum cleaner, it isn't nearly what I had come to expect, and I could certainly sleep in the same room without any issues.

RoachedCoach

Feb 4, 2020
So I got a 6610 and a 7250, the 7250 sometimes goes full banshee and am thinking of replacing the fans with the ones that are recommended in this thread, but still can't decide which ones will be better since I'm located and Mexico and sometimes mouser or digi can ship them way down here depending on their current stock, so which fan (mechatronics, sunon, delta) would definitely get the most upvotes for future reference?

Also does anybody have a spare 6610's fan that could sell me in a reasonable price? $69.99 plus tax, shipping and custom duties ($95-110 USD) are way more that I'd like to spend on ebay.
I'm biased since I wrote a lot of the posts, but for the 7250, I'm all in on the Mechatronics for the rear fans, and the single Sunon for the ASIC fan. Pay close attention to the model numbers in the posts.

And if it's cranking up every so often, probably a room temp/airflow issue, so do whatever you can to get that thing better ventilated to avoid the spinups in the first place. The fan replacements will NOT improve airflow, they'll just run slower/somewhat quieter (though the ASCI fan does help offset a bit). Things to consider.

Reactions: noduck

darthray

Apr 11, 2021
Question for the 6610 owners out there:

The material here says the 6610 is 16" deep, no matter the number of ports.

1. Does that depth figure include the fan and power supply handles in the back, or is it just for the chassis itself (not including the handles)?

ICX6610-48P-BackView-Handles.jpg

2. I noticed in one of the pictures from an ebay seller that you can mount the rack ears a bit further to the back than normal, like this:

ICX6610-48P-TopView-RackEarDistance.jpg

Does anybody have the measurement of the distance represented by the red line above? How many inches is that?

I'm trying to see if I can fit a 6610 in the rack I have on order. I'm considering if it's worth going with a bigger one just for this.

Thanks!

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
Question for the 6610 owners out there:

The material here says the 6610 is 16" deep, no matter the number of ports.

1. Does that depth figure include the fan and power supply handles in the back, or is it just for the chassis itself (not including the handles)?

View attachment 18311

2. I noticed in one of the pictures from an ebay seller that you can mount the rack ears a bit further to the back than normal, like this:

View attachment 18312

Does anybody have the measurement of the distance represented by the red line above? How many inches is that?

I'm trying to see if I can fit a 6610 in the rack I have on order. I'm considering if it's worth going with a bigger one just for this.

Thanks!
I should be able to grab these measurements for you later today. I have a 6610-48P sitting outside my rack at the moment.

Reactions: darthray