Aerohive (Extreme Networks) APs - No Controller Needed

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wifiholic

Mar 27, 2018
Hello,
i have 27 AP-650 from Motorola, can you tell me how to access the CLI?
I found 4 pins on the circuit board, but my usb to serial adapter does not work.
I also tried to connect by SSH, but i don´t know the Password.
Please excuse my bad English, i am from Germany
Extreme doesn't make this easy, because there are two AP-650s now under that corporate umbrella. There is the AP650/AP650X that they got from the Aerohive acquisition, and there is the AP650 from Motorola, which is what Extreme refers to as the WiNG product line. The Motorola AP650 needs to be adopted to a controller to be managed, and is a completely different beast than the Aerohive-based APs that are covered by most of the discussion in this thread.

Pardon the silly question, can I use wireless uplink on these?
I've not implemented it myself, but theoretically this is supported and can be enabled in Cloud IQ using: Configure > Common Objects > AP Templates > [your AP template] > Wireless Interfaces > [radio you want to use for uplink] > Radio Usage > enable Backhaul Mesh Link

Reactions: BoredSysadmin

femi

Apr 13, 2021
Ok, i have Motorola AP650, there is no Reset Button. looks like I can't use the access points without a controller

femi

Apr 13, 2021
Now i have bought a Motorola 4010 Controller, but the Firmware is to old, any Ideas where i can get the latest firmware for this?
I searched the Internet for Hours but no luck.

Last edited:

2JZ-GTE

Mar 30, 2021
Thank you so much for this post, Aerohive wasn't really on my radar when I started my trial of WAP due to pandemic boredom. I picked up two AP-550 to test. Here’s a quick summary of my steps for anybody interested.

1. Power up the access points, press the reset button until the light blinks and turns amber (~11 seconds).
  2. Sign up for an “ExtremeCloud IQ Connect” (XIQ) account.
  3. Quick Add the AP by serial number in the Manage > Devices section of XIQ.
  4. Once the AP have been reset and are connected to internet (the LED will turn white), you’ll see their status as connected in XIQ.
  5. Select the AP to update, click on update devices, choose “Upgrade IQ Engine and Extreme Network Switch Images” and click perform update.
  6. This should get the latest firmware onto your AP. You can choose to use SSH or XIQ for configuration from here. To use XIQ: set up a Network Policy, assign to your AP, push the configuration to the AP and you’re finished.
  7. To manually configure the AP via SSH: Copy the configuration from BlueFox into a file and make any necessary changes. Put the file on a tftp server.
  8. SSH into the AP, transfer the file over, save as current config, and reboot with this command: save config tftp://192.168.21.240:myconfig current now. You can also use SCP instead.
  9. You can add a simulated device in XIQ, configure it as you’d like and then copy the configuration from “Configuration Audit > Complete” into a text file, make any necessary changes, and TFTP/SCP the config onto your AP.

Since the start of the pandemic, I’ve been experimenting with enterprise access points. Besides Aerohives I’ve also tried Meraki MR24 running OpenWRT, Aruba AP-325 converted to IAP-325, and Ruckus r710 Unleashed. IMHO the AP-550 were one of the easiest to get up and running and the best value. Iperf3 tests were comparable to Aruba AP-325 (~500 Mbits/s), faster than Meraki MR24 (~300Mbits/s), and slower than Ruckus r710 (~630 Mbits/s). Range is comparable to MR24 and AP-325, but less than r710. After the first week, stability on all APs have been similar enough to not be noticeable. Outer casing build quality is solid as Meraki, but not quite Aruba levels. I think the Aerohives are the most aesthetically pleasing of the bunch even if mine are in the attic and nobody sees them.

legopc

Nov 2, 2014
The Netherlands
I can attest to the quality for sure for the Aerohive AP122. Have deployed a couple hundred and none have failed yet in any way. Cloud management is a bit quirky but not bad.

Dalis

Apr 20, 2021
Arizona, USA
What's HiveOS like? Searching on it is dominated by a cryptocurrency mining orchestration platform also named HiveOS.

Is HiveOS a typical Linux-based deal like MikroTik's OSes, Ubiquiti's, etc.?

The prices I see are enormous, $1,500 for the AP650: Extreme Networks AP650 Access Point | NetSolutionStore.com

What low prices are you people talking about? Used? What's the value added for these APs over much cheaper TP-Link or ZyXel Wi-Fi 6 APs? Those come in under $200 new.

2JZ-GTE

Mar 30, 2021
I'm not a Network Engineer this is just a hobby for me, but with my limited time on these systems, the CLI on Aerohive feels close to Aruba and Cisco for me.

The low prices (were) on Craigslist. I am in the Seattle area, not sure how much used tech is available on Craigslist in other parts of the country so you may have to resort to eBay. Prices have steadily crept up over the past year. I've seen some steals in Ubiquiti equipment the last few weeks during my searches because it seems like a lot of people are dumping them. The r710s were the most expensive at $140 each. The Aruba 325s and Aerohive 550s were $70 each. The Meraki MR24s were $8 each. I'm sure many on this forum work in the field and can obtain demo or decommissioned units for much cheaper.

The TP-Link or ZyXel APs you mentioned may very well work just as well or even better, somebody who has experience evaluating both could give a better answer. The reason that I started with Meraki, Aruba, and Ruckus was because they were brands I had heard of before on my job.

Pre-pandemic I was home only about 45 days of the year. When all travel stopped and I started having to work and live at home I realized my old ZyXel Armor Z2 (running OpenWRT) wasn't cutting it, that got me started down this path. Curiosity and pandemic boredom got me the rest of the way.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
What's HiveOS like? Searching on it is dominated by a cryptocurrency mining orchestration platform also named HiveOS.

Is HiveOS a typical Linux-based deal like MikroTik's OSes, Ubiquiti's, etc.?

The prices I see are enormous, $1,500 for the AP650: Extreme Networks AP650 Access Point | NetSolutionStore.com

What low prices are you people talking about? Used? What's the value added for these APs over much cheaper TP-Link or ZyXel Wi-Fi 6 APs? Those come in under $200 new.
CLI is similar to Cisco. New in the retail channels, enterprise APs are very expensive. A Zyxel WAX650S is I think ~$700 with none available on the secondary market and it only does 2.4gbit vs the AP650's 4.8gbit. An AP650 (often new) can be had for ~$200 on eBay. I've not found any WiFi 6 APs that are anywhere as cheap with 4x4 MIMO, 160MHz channels, etc.

junjie

May 23, 2021
Hi @BlueFox
my English is not good
Do you have a situation?
AP650 when installing 160Mhz keeps disconnecting, unstable
Whether setting auto channel or fixed channel (36,40,44,48) all have the same situation: stable connection for about 1 day, then lose connection, then reconnect, keep repeating the situation like so. Don't know for what reason?
If I install 80Mhz, it's stable connection
Please help

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Unfortunately I'm not sure. Have you tried updating the firmware to see if it helps? I'm unfortunately not an expert and only bought my AP650 shortly before creating this thread.

My laptop uses 160Mhz, but it's never on for more than a day.

junjie

May 23, 2021
Unfortunately I'm not sure. Have you tried updating the firmware to see if it helps? I'm unfortunately not an expert and only bought my AP650 shortly before creating this thread.

My laptop uses 160Mhz, but it's never on for more than a day.
Thank you for your help!

Surfarn_

Jul 11, 2020
Hi, I have now installed two AP230, to replace my old Netgear r7000 ac router.

But I can't seem to get faster linkspeed then around 190 mbits using the 5G network. I used to get above 600 mbits using my old router.

Code:
State=Operational state; Chan=Channel;
Radio=Radio profile; U=up; D=down;

Name           MAC addr      Mode       State  Chan(Width)  VLAN   Radio      Hive        SSID
----------- -------------- ------------ ----- ------------- ---- ---------- ---------- ----------
Mgt0        d854:a253:7e00    -           U     -              1     -      VHM-CKR...     -
Agg0        d854:a253:7e03 backhaul       D     -              1     -      VHM-CKR...     -
Eth0        d854:a253:7e00 backhaul       U     -              1     -      VHM-CKR...     -
Eth1        d854:a253:7e01 backhaul       D     -              1     -      VHM-CKR...     -
Red0        d854:a253:7e02 backhaul       D     -              1     -      VHM-CKR...     -
Wifi0       d854:a253:7e10 access         U      11(20MHz)     - radio_n...     -          -
Wifi0.1     d854:a253:7e14 access         U      11(20MHz)     - radio_n... VHM-CKR...  NETGEAR43
Wifi0.2     d854:a253:7e15 access         U      11(20MHz)     - radio_n... VHM-CKR...  aero_wifi
Wifi1       d854:a253:7e20 access         U      40(20MHz)     - radio_n...     -          -
Wifi1.1     d854:a253:7e24 access         U      40(20MHz)     - radio_n... VHM-CKR...  aero_5g
Wifi1.2     d854:a253:7e25 access         U      40(20MHz)     - radio_n... VHM-CKR...  aero_wifi
Is it the 20MHz channel-width that is the problem? How do I increase that?

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
20MHz would certainly limit things. To change it:

radio profile [radioprofile] channel-width 80

Reactions: Surfarn_

Surfarn_

Jul 11, 2020
Thanks for the reply!

I used this command

Code:
radio profile [radio_ng_ac0] channel-width 80
I did not get any error message, but when I run the show interface command the width is still 20. Any clue what's wrong?

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
You'll want to do it without the bracket around the radio profile name. Won't work with the brackets. Are you also doing it on the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz profile?

Surfarn_

Jul 11, 2020
How is the range on your access points? I now have 2 AP:s and the signal strength is lower in the house then using my old (one) Netgear r7000.

Last edited:

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
I live in a highrise condo, so I don't think I'm a good metric for range unfortunately. Don't need much to cover ~1400sq ft.

fortytwo

Sep 26, 2020
Silly question. "Roaming with multiple APs": you say that you need to use wireless - can't roaming use the ethernet as a backbone? (are you talking about 'roaming' or 'mesh'?).

I am looking into AP250 vs Ruckus R610 (mainly because ruckus is very expensive these days), but I want to make sure I have 802.11r and 802.11k (bonus points for 802.11v), but I don't need/want a mesh.

I don't quite understand why roaming requires a wireless interface, and I am (still) looking for documentation of what "hive" exactly means :)