SAS825TQ Backplane

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ScarredPinguin

Mar 19, 2021
Hello everyone! Newbie here.
I have bought second hand Supermicro SC825 2U chasis with SAS825TQ Backplane and 8x hot-swap hdd caddies. The server will be in datacenter and I'd like to fill all 8 hdd slots in the future with 4-12TB drives - primary use would be Plex/Kodi server and Owncloud/nextcloud server.
I'd like to ask you guys if I should trust this backplane since they are making them since 2013 and mine can be that old as well. The new one costs 70 euros in my country.
Also, could someone tell me if I can use SAS drives with this backplane? There are 8 Sata cables coming from the back from previous owner which confuse me.
I'd like to connect them to SAS HBA.

Thank you in advance :D

Attachments

ScarredPinguin

Mar 19, 2021
Yes, the SAS825TQ (note SAS in the part name), can support SAS drives :)

I wouldn't worry about the back-plane failing.
Thank you! What about the sata cables coming from the back? Do i connect them to SAS card? (I haven't got any yet).

Tcalp

Oct 15, 2020
Thank you! What about the sata cables coming from the back? Do i connect them to SAS card? (I haven't got any yet).
I'm not really sure what hardware you are running but generally cables like this :

Reactions: ScarredPinguin

kapone

May 23, 2015
I'm sorry, had to say it.

You are worried about a backplane failing when you're not even sure how it works/how to connect it??

ScarredPinguin

Mar 19, 2021
I'm sorry, had to say it.

You are worried about a backplane failing when you're not even sure how it works/how to connect it??
I'm just a total newbie in this field. I was confused about this backplane and I thought that SAS data are transferred via different cable.
And about the age: I was not sure if I can trust up to 8 years old device.
I hope that your eyes haven't bled out haha :D

ScarredPinguin

Mar 19, 2021
Feb 19, 2021
If it has sata cables attached it's because there isn't an hba. The 825tq is a pass thru backplane port for port. I would bet it has some but not all cables attached to the sata ports on the motherboard. Typically we would throw it an lsi 2008/3008 hba card in IT mode that the other people's post's indicated cables would attach to.

Last edited: