EU HPE Cloudline CL3100 Gen10 Barebones - $399

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sable

Active Horse
Oct 19, 2016
Interesting. Make sure to consider the shipping days of 23-53 days, could be a red flag for something fishy. No idea whether it is a good deal but maybe someone can elaborate.

alsenior

Member Member
Apr 19, 2016
Yeah as always, Caveat Emptor. For what its worth the seller does have a recent history of selling server gear.

AK360

Feb 25, 2021
I recently bought NICs from seller, took a while to get here but well packaged and seller was responsive.

AK360

Feb 25, 2021
I got a bunch of nic's from him recently, no issues.
Can also provide his mail address if you want to cut out one middleman ;)
Did you buy the other HPE Mellanox CX5 25Gb NICs? If so did you manage to find a firmware update for them?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I have not checked tbh, but HPE should provide it, shouldn't they?
I dont expect any crossflashing to work on those if that's what you mean

AK360

Feb 25, 2021
Yes I asked him for the serial number of the server so I could raise a case with HP unfortunately he only ever had the cards.

I have now managed to raise a case by using a serial number from work so fingers crossed. At present the version 16.23 on the card is not supported on ESXi 7 though it does mostly function with the notable exception of RDMA which is why I bought them :)

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
ah ok. I thought with HPEthe warranty was associated with the individual components if they have been sold individually?
At least thats how it was with some drives I bought (years ago). But maybe its different for nics

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Price dropped to 299$ on new listing.
Just beware seller said those wont work standalone as servers; they apparently need some sort of cloud infra (he didnt go into details whether it can be local or must be remote)

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
Picked up a pair will let everyone know how they work if we don't buy them all if they do work good :p
Hopefully they work out well as 20nvme's is a nice feature for this price vs our 24x bay systems.
Make note that the "new" listing indicates 12 LFF (vs 20 NVMe on "original").

I hope the "change" in listing isn't to correct an error.:( Doubtful, though, since the photos in both listings definitely show the 20 NVMe configuration.

Per HPE docs, the 20 NVMe config requires both CPUs. Something else I noticed is that all 20 NMVe's are connected to a single x16 PCIe Switch. That's 16 upstream lanes feeding 80 downstream. I'm sure you'll want to factor that into how you "configure" those NVMe's relative to your worklload. Just looked at your website ... You probably knew all of this already, huh?
will let everyone know how they work
Looking forward ...

Reactions: Jaket