HGST He8 Ultrastar 8TB HUH728080AL5200 $82

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JDMWAAAT

Owner, serverbuilds.net
Aug 15, 2016
forums.serverbuilds.net
I bought this drive a week ago at this price, along with a 6TB and 2x 10TB. I haven't receive them, it doesn't appear as if they've even shipped yet.
I've worked with them on my website in the past before. This is their grand reopening sale after suffering a horrible house fire. It's just a 2 man team handling all operations right now.

They have been absolutely inundated with orders the past 2 weeks due to the low prices. If you have concerns about your order or want to know where you are in the queue, I would recommend reaching out to them - they are pretty responsive via email.

Ray

Apr 24, 2016
PA
What happens if you mix SATA?
As a rule of thumb - Things always connect at the slowest speed. Now I've had Sata, SAS2 and SAS3 all on the same IT 9211 and it worked in direct connect but I have no idea what speed each drive was talking to the other at.

Reactions: Samir

aij

May 7, 2017
I looked at these but this made it a no go for me -

"This SAS has been tested and have been SMART health tested 92% and higher"
That sketched me out too when I came across it. For an SSD, if it's 92% wear remaining that would be fine. If they mean that 92% of reserved sectors still available, well, lets just say I have not had good experiences with drives after they started relocating sectors.

Reactions: Samir and Fritz

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
As a rule of thumb - Things always connect at the slowest speed. Now I've had Sata, SAS2 and SAS3 all on the same IT 9211 and it worked in direct connect but I have no idea what speed each drive was talking to the other at.
SAS3 introduced a new bandwidth aggregation technology for hba/raid controllers and expanders, broadcom calls it databolt (not sure what the t10 name is, but it also works with microchip, formerly know as adaptec, controllers).
Basically expander and hba/raid controller communicate at full bandwidth and expander to/from storage device at their max bandwidth.

bitdeals_tech

Feb 9, 2021
bitdeals.tech
Hello all, Brandon from BitDeals here.

We are still processing orders everyday on a regular basis. Currently just shipped out #2165 iirc and will hopefully be up to 2190 soon.

We are still recovering from the fire and the support from all of you has been amazing! We are working as fast as we can to get all of your orders out but if you have any specific questions about your order I recommend reaching out to the support email or on discord so we can talk further.

Thanks again for all of your support! :)

gr2659

Feb 14, 2020
I'll chime in and say I'm a happy shopper. I ordered (12) WD/HGST 10TB HC510 HUH721010AL5201 from bitdeals on 2021/1/27. They showed up on 2021/2/9. They were packaged VERY well. Not Amazon Prime fast but also not Amazon Prime packaging :)

badblocks just finished running on them (smartctl then badblocks then smartctl) ~8 days later... ZERO issues on all 12. Mine were all manufactured ~ June, 2017 (a few different weeks/batches, so... cool!) so at most a bit over 32,000 hours ago. I'll assume they have about that many hours on them vs. their MTBF of 2.5M hours. Time to copy a whole bunch of data!!

Note: I can't find a way to see POH on these guys from smartctl (connected to an IT mode LSI controller in a Dell R720 connected to a SM JBOD box with SAS2 backplanes/expanders) on TrueNAS Core. Or else they've been wiped as the hours reflect how long they've been powered on since I've received them. But again, I'll just assume 32k, which is what I assumed when buying them.

At this point, I would definitely buy from them again.

Babbage

Feb 17, 2021
Try plugging one 10Tb to a motherboard port, then you can see POH with smartctl.. One cannot erase the POH counters via firmware or utility, that I am aware.

Re: TrueNAS sounds like you will have a lot more space! I just built a TrueNAS box and I've got a 40Gb connection for it.
$60 -for (2) 40Gb cards + 1 40Gb cable... It was pegging my Gig-e at 117 MB/s

bitdeals_tech

Feb 9, 2021
bitdeals.tech
Note: I can't find a way to see POH on these guys from smartctl
I recommend using Hard Disk Sentinel, there is a linux binary you can find here.
In my experience smartctl doesn't like SAS drives, but hard disk sentinel is what we use internally for testing. (Also the developer is a really amazing dude)

At this point, I would definitely buy from them again.
We appreciate the support from everyone! :)

Lastly we are up to order #2182 if anyone is curious. We are waiting on processing to finish on the Seagate 6TB line item so we can resume shipment of those so there are a few stragglers before 2182 that bought 6TB's and have not been shipped yet.

dv007

Dec 13, 2014
Anyone received their orders from bitdeals.tech? placed my order on Feb 26th. Still not shipped yet. Emailed them for status, unanswered. Should I be worried?

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
I received mine a couple weeks ago. I haven't had time to install them all yet, but the first few were fine.

FlorianZ

Dec 10, 2019
Anyone received their orders from bitdeals.tech? placed my order on Feb 26th. Still not shipped yet. Emailed them for status, unanswered. Should I be worried?
I had ordered 4 when this was first posted, and received them not too long ago. It took a while for BitDeals to ship the order, but they said as much in the comments above so I was expecting that.

All 4 drives arrived safely and were well packaged. It looks like they were previously Sun Microsystems branded (now debranded). Three of them had just over 27,000 hours, and one came with only 13,000 POH. I assume that last one was a replacement or hot spare of sorts. I am still running badblocks on them, but it has been running for over 300 hours so far without errors, so things are looking good!