NEW HP T640 Thin Client Ryzen R1505G 4GB 16GF - NO KB/MOUSE, NO OS INSTALLED - $109

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Huh...global depot warranty?
If they allow warranty upgrade to onsite 9x5 this would make for a decent pfsense box (provided that you put the fiber NIC in for WAN handoff and use the other/Realtek NIC with VLAN trunks)...

Damn, @Patrick. 100 dollars and this makes for an excellent GhettoMiniMicro project box...much more than that 300 dollar m90n.

cmmh

Feb 26, 2021
I just received mine at $100 "best offer." Unfortunately it doesn't seem to turn on. The white "bar" led is solidly on, and when I press the botton a white round led blips and goes immediately off. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm using a Displayport -> HDMI cable, I wonder if that is somehow the problem?

ealvar

Mar 4, 2013
I just received mine at $100 "best offer." Unfortunately it doesn't seem to turn on. The white "bar" led is solidly on, and when I press the botton a white round led blips and goes immediately off. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm using a Displayport -> HDMI cable, I wonder if that is somehow the problem?
I can't comment on DP -> HDMI but I'm currently using a pair of DP -> DVI which work great. Hope you get it sorted!

cmmh

Feb 26, 2021
For what is worth, I tried on two DP native monitors as well, with similar results. Resetting the bios seemed to bring the unit back to life, and the unit is working through my DP->HDMI cable. I haven't installed an OS yet, but that is on the "todo" list currently.

Thank you.

ealvar

Mar 4, 2013
For what is worth, I tried on two DP native monitors as well, with similar results. Resetting the bios seemed to bring the unit back to life, and the unit is working through my DP->HDMI cable. I haven't installed an OS yet, but that is on the "todo" list currently.

Thank you.
What method did you use to reset the bios without video output?

Hifihedgehog

Feb 26, 2021
and they are gone, someone bought 18 of them while I was debating.
Hmm... I posted this deal in r/cade on Reddit. Perhaps some enterprising individual read about the deal and may have bought a slew of them to build some super sweet MAME/RetroPie x86-64 cabinets with. Speaking of which, I have been experimenting with RetroPie and wanting to get games running as smoothly as possible, I whipped up various sets of commands over the last couple of weeks to eek out the last drop of performance from this little steam engine that could. Below are the instructions to set up a "soft" overclock on Ubuntu Focal 20.04 LTS. It is only casually referred to as an overclock, but, in reality, it is not, hence the "soft" in the name. This trick is completely safe and covered under warranty. What this soft overclocking utility does is raise the OS's default TDP, temperature ceiling, and boost clock levels to the absolute maximum without overriding the processor's own internal stock safety mechanisms and thereby not voiding your warranty.

The processor as a result will boost as long and as hard as it possibly can without exceeding the Ryzen R1505G's firmware defined peak boost clock (3.3GHz), safe dynamic voltages, or safe temperature threshold (~95 Celsius). After running these commands, I was able to net a nice uplift in performance and now easily maintain 3.3 GHz under sustained workloads. You can read more about how ryzenadj works here and here. You might note I pushed some numbers higher than the processor's specified maximums (e.g. max-socclk-frequency or the maximum CPU clock speed is defined as 3700 MHz) but I did this just to ensure the processor does not let its grip loose on its boost clock once a workload is detected. These commands should work quite interchangeably in most Debian-based Linux distributions including, of course, Debian and Ubuntu.

Code:
cd /opt
sudo mkdir ryzenadj
cd ryzenadj
sudo apt install libpci-dev
sudo git clone https://github.com/FlyGoat/RyzenAdj.git .
sudo mkdir build && cd build
sudo cmake ..
sudo make

sudo ./ryzenadj --stapm-limit=45000 --fast-limit=45000 --slow-limit=45000 --tctl-temp=95 --vrm-current=55000 --vrmsoc-current=55000 --vrmmax-current=55000 --vrmsocmax-current=55000 --psi0-current=55000 --psi0soc-current=55000 --max-socclk-frequency=3700 --min-socclk-frequency=3300 --max-gfxclk=1400 --min-gfxclk=1000

cat << EOF | sudo tee /etc/systemd/system/ryzenadj.service

[Unit]
Description=RyzenAdj - Adjust power management settings for Ryzen Mobile Processors
Wants=cpufrequtils.service
After=cpufrequtils.service

[Service]
Type=idle
User=root
ExecStart=/opt/ryzenadj/build/ryzenadj --stapm-limit=45000 --fast-limit=45000 --slow-limit=45000 --tctl-temp=95 --vrm-current=55000 --vrmsoc-current=55000 --vrmmax-current=55000 --vrmsocmax-current=55000 --psi0-current=55000 --psi0soc-current=55000 --max-socclk-frequency=3700 --min-socclk-frequency=3300 --max-gfxclk=1400 --min-gfxclk=1000

[Install]
WantedBy=graphical.target
EOF

sudo systemctl daemon-reload
sudo systemctl enable ryzenadj
sudo systemctl start ryzenadj
sudo cpupower -c all frequency-info
Prior to this, you may likely also need to run this set of commands to alter the power management profile from ondemand to performance as described here.

Code:
sudo apt-get install cpufrequtils
echo 'GOVERNOR="performance"' | sudo tee /etc/default/cpufrequtils
sudo systemctl disable ondemand

Last edited:
Reactions: rafale77

nagato1118

Feb 17, 2021
Hmm... I posted this deal in r/cade on Reddit. Perhaps some enterprising individual read about the deal and may have bought a slew of them to build some super sweet MAME/RetroPie x86-64 cabinets with. Speaking of which, I have been experimenting with RetroPie and wanting to get games running as smoothly as possible, I whipped up various sets of commands over the last couple of weeks to eek out the last drop of performance from this little steam engine that could. Below are the instructions to set up a "soft" overclock on Ubuntu Focal 20.04 LTS. It is only casually referred to as an overclock, but, in reality, it is not, hence the "soft" in the name. This trick is completely safe and covered under warranty. What this soft overclocking utility does is raise the OS's default TDP, temperature ceiling, and boost clock levels to the absolute maximum without overriding the processor's own internal stock safety mechanisms and thereby not voiding your warranty.

The processor as a result will boost as long and as hard as it possibly can without exceeding the Ryzen R1505G's firmware defined peak boost clock (3.3GHz), safe dynamic voltages, or safe temperature threshold (~95 Celsius). After running these commands, I was able to net a nice uplift in performance and now easily maintain 3.3 GHz under sustained workloads. You can read more about how ryzenadj works here and here. You might note I pushed some numbers higher than the processor's specified maximums (e.g. max-socclk-frequency or the maximum CPU clock speed is defined as 3700 MHz) but I did this just to ensure the processor does not let its grip loose on its boost clock once a workload is detected. These commands should work quite interchangeably in most Debian-based Linux distributions including, of course, Debian and Ubuntu.

Code:
cd /opt
Sudo mkdir ryzenadj
sudo apt install libpci-dev
sudo git clone https://github.com/FlyGoat/RyzenAdj.git .
sudo mkdir build && cd build
sudo make

sudo ./ryzenadj --stapm-limit=45000 --fast-limit=45000 --slow-limit=45000 --tctl-temp=95 --vrm-current=55000 --vrmsoc-current=55000 --vrmmax-current=55000 --vrmsocmax-current=55000 --psi0-current=55000 --psi0soc-current=55000 --max-socclk-frequency=3700 --min-socclk-frequency=3300 --max-gfxclk=1400 --min-gfxclk=1000

cat << EOF | sudo tee /etc/systemd/system/ryzenadj.service

[Unit]
Description=RyzenAdj - Adjust power management settings for Ryzen Mobile Processors
Wants=cpufrequtils.service
After=cpufrequtils.service

[Service]
Type=oneshot
User=root
ExecStart=/opt/ryzenadj/build/ryzenadj --stapm-limit=45000 --fast-limit=45000 --slow-limit=45000 --tctl-temp=95 --vrm-current=55000 --vrmsoc-current=55000 --vrmmax-current=55000 --vrmsocmax-current=55000 --psi0-current=55000 --psi0soc-current=55000 --max-socclk-frequency=3700 --min-socclk-frequency=3300 --max-gfxclk=1400 --min-gfxclk=1000

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
EOF

sudo systemctl daemon-reload
sudo systemctl enable ryzenadj
sudo systemctl start ryzenadj
sudo cpupower -c all frequency-info
Prior to this, you may likely also need to run this set of commands to alter the power management profile from ondemand to performance as described here.

Code:
sudo apt-get install cpufrequtils
echo 'GOVERNOR="performance"' | sudo tee /etc/default/cpufrequtils
sudo systemctl disable ondemand
does the ryzenadj work on rhel8?

is there "technical possibility" to overclock the ram (breakthrough the 2400mhz) ?

thanks

Hifihedgehog

Feb 26, 2021
does the ryzenadj work on rhel8?
It should. Check out the official instructions here. I believe pciutils-devel is the package you would need to compile in that distro, though there may be others not explicitly mentioned.

is there "technical possibility" to overclock the ram (breakthrough the 2400mhz) ?
I am not sure about overclocking, but if your memory kit (1) is 1.2V and (2) is rated for higher than 2400MHz, then BIOS should automatically configure to operate at its supported speed as described below:
Thanks. I figured out they will not run CL16 anyway so i'm going the safe route with 1.2v SODIMM.
On Ryzen Embedded V1756B - AMD - WikiChip it states suppored memory speed is DDR4 3200. Will test with the actual one i have here! Thanks.
Reported to be running at 3200: 20210301_200757.jpg
I purchased this Mushkin memory kit about two weeks ago which at the time was one of the cheapest 2x8GB kits at originally $73.99 (it is currently $79.99 and no longer on sale) and it just so happened to also be 3200MHz. However, it is also rated at 1.35V for that speed, so the BIOS dropped it down to 1.2V along with the effective clock speed to 2400MHz. That being said, there may be software tools in Linux for overclocking the memory in Linux, but I am only aware of the ones in Windows like Ryzen Master.

Last edited:

nagato1118

Feb 17, 2021
It should. Check out the official instructions here. I believe pciutils-devel is the package you would need to compile in that distro, though there may be others not explicitly mentioned.

I am not sure about overclocking, but if your memory kit (1) is 1.2V and (2) is rated for higher than 2400MHz, then BIOS should automatically configure to operate at its supported speed as described below:

I purchased this Mushkin memory kit about two weeks ago which at the time was one of the cheapest 2x8GB kits at originally $73.99 (it is currently $79.99 and no longer on sale) and it just so happened to also be 3200MHz. However, it is also rated at 1.35V for that speed, so the BIOS dropped it down to 1.2V along with the effective clock speed to 2400MHz. That being said, there may be software tools in Linux for overclocking the memory in Linux, but I am only aware of the ones in Windows like Ryzen Master.

Actually I tried corsair ram kit 3000mhz 1.2v

no luck at all, running 2400MHz on Windows 10 20H2

I got another issue of corsair mp510 1tb nvme being overheat in such tiny box.

Adding a cheap heatsink would do the job.

csp-guy

Jun 26, 2019
Hungary, Budapest
I personally use a Flirc receiver and a Logitech Harmony 650 remote with my T640 for most things (i.e., Plex), and a Logitech K830 keyboard/trackpad when I need a keyboard. Works pretty well for me. I taught the "Plex" device in myHarmony some codes from an old Sony remote to fill in some gaps in the buttons and then mapped them to the keys I wanted in the Flirc software.
Good choice, but my Harmony has been weak against gravity, it has been broken. :)

jmsq

Dec 30, 2019
Does anyone have any detailed info about the DisplayPort capabilities of the T640 vs. T740? HP claims DisplayPort 1.2 for both models, but I've been able to get 4k120 working on the T740 (suggesting DP1.4 support) but I haven't been able to do the same on the T640, where it seems to max out at 4k82. It's possible I'm just running into an amdgpu linux driver bug, but despite having similar iGPUs (aside from shader count) it looks like the T640 may have a hard DP1.2 limit. Anyone else have a similar experience?

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Does anyone have any detailed info about the DisplayPort capabilities of the T640 vs. T740? HP claims DisplayPort 1.2 for both models, but I've been able to get 4k120 working on the T740 (suggesting DP1.4 support) but I haven't been able to do the same on the T640, where it seems to max out at 4k82. It's possible I'm just running into an amdgpu linux driver bug, but despite having similar iGPUs (aside from shader count) it looks like the T640 may have a hard DP1.2 limit. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Well, the t740 does have a Vega 8 with more CUs versus the t640 with the Vega 3, so that can explain the capability discrepancy. I don't have any 4k120 devices to test with (both at work and at home), so sorry can't be much assistance there.

Hifihedgehog

Feb 26, 2021
As confirmed by me and @Dave Corder in another thread (here: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...amd-nuc7-alternative.28564/page-2#post-296308 ), it is a true DisplayPort 1.4 output. HP only “officially” certified it up through DP 1.2. So all the eye candy goodies (e.g. HDR, increased resolution and refresh rate headroom) of DP 1.4 are there ripe for the picking!