Remote server management for HP Z2 series workstations

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
Hi all,

Re: Z2-series HP workstations, "mini", "SFF", and "tower", do any of these have capability for remote server management such as IPMI?

ubk

Reactions: Samir

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Not IPMI specifically but their datasheet states they support vPro/AMT so there is at least remote power control. Most likely remote KVM console will also be available. There is no dedicated out of band management port so management need to be on the same user network.

rocketpanda40

Dec 12, 2019
Not IPMI specifically but their datasheet states they support vPro/AMT so there is at least remote power control. Most likely remote KVM console will also be available. There is no dedicated out of band management port so management need to be on the same user network.
I can't speak to the Z2 series, but having AMT doesnt mean it'll have remote console. My HP Z420 with E5-1650 has AMT, but it's only some very basic event log and power control, no remote console.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
I can't speak to the Z2 series, but having AMT doesnt mean it'll have remote console. My HP Z420 with E5-1650 has AMT, but it's only some very basic event log and power control, no remote console.
I wish I had discovered the first generation of Z-workstations when I first got into this. Fantastic value on the second hand market.

Edit: What's the noise of your Z420 like?

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Fantastic value on the second hand market.

Yep, especially ones like the z600 that can handle dual x5670 processors and 96GB of ecc reg memory pretty much like a deskside server, except quiet.

My z420 is quite quiet, even with the fans all set to 100% and full of 256GB of 32GB LRDIMMs. I don't utilize all the resources in that machine, but since the cooling is set to 100%, I wouldn't expect the sound to change.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Per Intel's website How To Create Intel® Active Management Technology KVM Solutions, KVM was introduced in AMT 6.0. If you login through the standard webpage at port 16992/16993, you will probably not see KVM. The same is true for my Lenovo M93p Tiny. Logging into the webpage doesn't reveal KVM even though it has AMT 9.x.

But using MeshCommander available at www.meshcommander.com allows me to connect through KVM.

Reactions: ullbeking and Samir

rocketpanda40

Dec 12, 2019
Per Intel's website How To Create Intel® Active Management Technology KVM Solutions, KVM was introduced in AMT 6.0. If you login through the standard webpage at port 16992/16993, you will probably not see KVM. The same is true for my Lenovo M93p Tiny. Logging into the webpage doesn't reveal KVM even though it has AMT 9.x.

But using MeshCommander available at www.meshcommander.com allows me to connect through KVM.
Hmmm interesting, I'll have to look into that. Although I use my Z420 as my main desktop with just a couple testing VMs, not my main server, so it's not a big deal to me either way.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
I wish I had discovered the first generation of Z-workstations when I first got into this. Fantastic value on the second hand market.

I have a Z600 and Z620 and I would avoid the 620, 640s. They require you to purchase a daughter board for the 2nd CPU. What's more you must have a special PCIe plate that contains a guide for the riser. Installing the riser also blocks the topmost PCIe Gen2 X1 slot (not to worry there are Gen3 slots on the Zx20s). 600s (PCIe Gen2 only), 820s, 840s are better because the second socket is part of the motherboard. My 600/620's fans at 100% are noticable and somewhat annoying but not 1 RU 40mm 15KRPM-unbearable.

What I don't like about the Zx20/Zx40 series the most is the PSU is custom and you can't install a generic one. This doesn't apply to the 400-series.

Reactions: ullbeking and Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I have a Z600 and Z620 and I would avoid the 620, 640s. They require you to purchase a daughter board for the 2nd CPU. What's more you must have a special PCIe plate that contains a guide for the riser. Installing the riser also blocks the topmost PCIe Gen2 X1 slot (not to worry there are Gen3 slots on the Zx20s). 600s (PCIe Gen2 only), 820s, 840s are better because the second socket is part of the motherboard. My 600/620's fans at 100% are noticable and somewhat annoying but not 1 RU 40mm 15KRPM-unbearable.

What I don't like about the Zx20/Zx40 series the most is the PSU is custom and you can't install a generic one. This doesn't apply to the 400-series.
Yep, that's what I disliked about some of the older Dell workstations too--that daughterboard setup.

I believe there are adapters for the power supply available from moddiy:

klui

Feb 3, 2019
No doubt those converters work, but these OE PSUs are custom form factors, as in thin and long; no way to install a standard power supply. Their tool less nature is their saving grace but barely.

jabuzzard

Mar 22, 2021
Or you just burn the onboard ethernet for dedicated out of band management and stick in another network card for the OS.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
This is a great thread and I'm now convinced that if I were to buy an HP Z workstation, I'd get a refurbished Z400-series, as these seem to be compatible and mostly (?) use standard parts. Thank you all.