Silverstone DS380 HBA options

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sparton175

Feb 23, 2021
I've seen a few threads for this in the past. But I want to be sure I won't waste my money on something that doesn't work. I'm planning a build using the Silverstone DS380, ASRock Rack EPC612D4I with a E5-2690 V4 using a 120mm AIO for cooling, and 8 12TB WD Gold HDDs for my array. I'm trying to find a HBA for this build that will actually fit into the case without giving up 1 of my drives. From what I've read it seems like if the HBA is shorter than 6in and has the connections on the top that may work correctly. If anyone has any leads on what HBA will work best for this build that would be awesome.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
IBM M1015 and others will fit with a little persuasion :D

Sparton175

Feb 23, 2021
IBM M1015 and others will fit with a little persuasion :D

Great! I think I might actually have one around somewhere in my piles of enterprise crap lol and it supports 12TB drives no problem?

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
and it supports 12TB drives no problem?
The M1015 and other LSI variants support everything - it was the early SAS/SATA HBA that only supported maximum 2TB drives. If you're using platter-based HDDs then the M1015/9211-8i still does sterling service.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I built one before, minimal trimming and it works.

Building my second now, trim and it works :)

AbyssalSmoke

Dec 7, 2021
Hi guys, I have the Silverstone DS380B case, could use your help. Im now onto my 3rds PCIE to SATA attempt, tried some £60 Sata to PCIE cards from amazon using variations of the ASMedia chip, now iv returned those and im onto the H240 HBA SAS card which is all nicely configured to HBA only with Raid mode disabled (which just passed the drives through directly to the OS). As soon as I attach a HDD to a bay on this case which is attached to the PCIE cards above, the machine wont boot past the ASROCK splash screen. Just hangs until I remove the HDD attached to the PCIE card.
If I attach the HDD to the card directly, everything works. So I assume this is a compatibility issue with the silverstone backplane that is used for the hot swap functionality.

Im not interested in RAID, but have you got any SAS HBA recommendations you know work in this case?
Kind regards,
Tom.