Any server rack experts here? Need help.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Have a Cisco switch in the rack that's long and heavy. Problem is the ass end of the switch sags badly. I went looking for a brace or bracket / support that will hold up the ass of the switch but to no avail. Ideally it needs to attach to the rack side to side and not front to back. There are a row of square holes along the sides of the rack that were obviously put there for a purpose. My needs in this case seems to be the perfect purpose for these holes. Problem is I can't find a bracket. Does one exist? I'd rather not have to fabricate one myself but will id necessary.

TIA

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
which switch?

there are back end holders for long switches. If you do not see any on ebay, I would just get a L set of rails. and put the switch on that.

as an example

Chris

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Why not put a sturdy (metal) rod (screwed) in the square holes if they have the needed height?
Padded if you worry about scratches

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
which switch?

there are back end holders for long switches. If you do not see any on ebay, I would just get a L set of rails. and put the switch on that.

as an example

Chris
Ouch, those are pricey.

I'm not able to pull the switch out of the rack without a major hassle so a front to back solution isn't going to work. Guess I'll have to fabricate something. Seems strange that there isn't a solution to this problem already out there. Especially since the rack has square holes down each side. Wonder what they're supposed to be used for.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Why not put a sturdy (metal) rod (screwed) in the square holes if they have the needed height?
Padded if you worry about scratches
I'd have to come down about an inch and a half but your idea is on the right track.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Especially since the rack has square holes down each side. Wonder what they're supposed to be used for.
There are probably nuts for those available (sometimes these holes are wider then regular size so not entirely sure which fit) and you can then attach whatever you need (usually hooks or loops) to them.

I have them on my rack too, I've seen the wider nuts on some Rittal pages (they produce racks & other datacenter stuff in Germany), but In dont use them.

Rods (or even screws with nuts/locknuts and wooden boards) are my goto emergency rack bottom if I am am to cheap to get proper ones;).

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
There are probably nuts for those available (sometimes these holes are wider then regular size so not entirely sure which fit) and you can then attach whatever you need (usually hooks or loops) to them.

I have them on my rack too, I've seen the wider nuts on some Rittal pages (they produce racks & other datacenter stuff in Germany), but In dont use them.

Rods (or even screws with nuts/locknuts and wooden boards) are my goto emergency rack bottom if I am am to cheap to get proper ones;).
Just checked, yea, they are wider.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
It's an old WS-C3560G-48PS. It mainly runs my IP cams

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
oh that doesn't count as long; I was thinking it was like a Mellanox SX6012 or something. It's designed to hang on its front rack ears; just support the back while you tighten the screws down.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Cheapest reliable way to hold up gear is some steel stranded-wire with crimps (ebay cheap as chips), pull to the right length so it goes from rear of device to rear of rack, create a small loop at each end of wire for rack bolts and anything on the device to loop through and then crimp. Now your device won't sag. Doesn't get in the way whatsoever and simply works, though I wouldn't advise employing this method if the said device needs pulling out often.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
oh that doesn't count as long; I was thinking it was like a Mellanox SX6012 or something. It's designed to hang on its front rack ears; just support the back while you tighten the screws down.
Screws are tightened down and there's still a considerable sag in the back.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Cheapest reliable way to hold up gear is some steel stranded-wire with crimps (ebay cheap as chips), pull to the right length so it goes from rear of device to rear of rack, create a small loop at each end of wire for rack bolts and anything on the device to loop through and then crimp. Now your device won't sag. Doesn't get in the way whatsoever and simply works, though I wouldn't advise employing this method if the said device needs pulling out often.
It hasn't been out of the rack in years so that wouldn't be a problem unless it decided to die on me. Being pressed for space the rack is in a corner and if I pull it out to gain access to the back I'll be blocking the door to the room and lose access to the front. Think I'm gonna rethink the whole mess and see if I can't rearrange / relocate the rack. Every time something like this comes up it stresses me out. o_O

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
All the best on your rack reorg! I used to use a 3560-48PS for cams; it sagged maybe a cm at the back, not enough to be of concern. Perhaps your ears are slightly bent? My ICX6610 also sags a bit (the brackets are beefier).

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
All the best on your rack reorg! I used to use a 3560-48PS for cams; it sagged maybe a cm at the back, not enough to be of concern. Perhaps your ears are slightly bent? My ICX6610 also sags a bit (the brackets are beefier).
Thanks. I did notice that the ears that hold the rack nuts in might be contributing to the sag a bit. Tried tightening the screws to flatten the out a bit but to no avail. Think I'll just live with it for now. What are you using for cams now?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
As mentioned by others 3560 is not a long heavy switch, used good rack and good cage nuts and bolts and it will stay reasonably straight. Not any rear brackets option, just out it above some other fixed device or a shelf if it worries you.

even on high end switch those cheap nasty rear brackets from Cisco annoy me, why can’t they at least have fixed rails that the switch ‘sits on’
Always a complaint with Cisco switching, it’s then not a one person job to mount :(

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
As mentioned by others 3560 is not a long heavy switch, used good rack and good cage nuts and bolts and it will stay reasonably straight. Not any rear brackets option, just out it above some other fixed device or a shelf if it worries you.

even on high end switch those cheap nasty rear brackets from Cisco annoy me, why can’t they at least have fixed rails that the switch ‘sits on’
Always a complaint with Cisco switching, it’s then not a one person job to mount :(
Yea, think I'm being a little too picky. I did wedge a power cord end btween it and the PDU below it and it helped a little.

Alfa147x

Feb 7, 2014
I've used these for my rack to support heavy appliances which don't have rear support:

It's kinda janky but it works well in my home lab. I've mounted them in reverse so the cable lacing bar is supporting the weight of the appliance.

Reactions: itronin and Fritz