(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
[QUOTE =“ WANg,帖子:290386,成员:17824”]
在Linux中,它最多可以执行2x16GB的操作,而在Windows中,则可以执行2x8的操作(使用更新的BIOS甚至可以达到2x16)。最大值由Atom SoC上的内存控制器决定,而不是由BIOS本身决定。
[/引用]

After testing, it can be known that it supports 1*16G and 1* 8G. Two 16Gs can be booted, but ESXI reports an error
這還需研究。 我還沒試安ESXi。 ESXi 6.5,6.7 和 7.0 對 Gemini Lake Atom的支援也會不同。

據我所知,如是Linux系統的話32GB應沒問題。可惜ESXi有好幾代已沒Linux骨骼了。

(That would need some looking into - I haven't installed ESXi yet. 6.5, 6.7 and 7.0 will handle Gemini Lake Atoms differently, but according to what I know, 32GB should not be a problem with Linux systems - unfortunately ESX hasn't been Linux based for several generations.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

cooyer

Jan 9, 2021
這還需研究。 我還沒試安ESXi。 ESXi 6.5,6.7 和 7.0 對 Gemini Lake Atom的支援也會不同。

據我所知,如是Linux系統的話32GB應沒問題。可惜ESXi有好幾代已沒Linux骨骼了。

(That would need some looking into - I haven't installed ESXi yet. 6.5, 6.7 and 7.0 will handle Gemini Lake Atoms differently, but according to what I know, 32GB should not be a problem with Linux systems - unfortunately ESX hasn't been Linux based for several generations.)
ESXI 6.7 8G+16G OK

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Changed to a 65-watt Dell laptop AC adapter(7.4mm) and the 5070 extended said it is a 65-watt, not 130-watt at the 1st boot-up. It works and no other issues.

abq

May 23, 2015
<SNIP>
The 5070 has a SATA M2 slot but you'll need at least 2280 - the 2242 drives don't fit. I don't consider storage speed to be that much of an issue. Frankly, I kept my eMMC untouched and went directly to the M2. If th M2 wears out I can toss it. If the eMMC wears out, I'll have to toss the machine (even though eMMC is surprisingly resilient. My Lenovo tablet from 2013 is still doing just fine with its 32GB chip...although it's always been rather slow)
<END SNIP>
@WANg (or other Wyse 5070 experts like @Samir;), great idea on protecting the eMMC from heavy writes or wearing out. ...But how did you exclude (disable) the eMMC in the Wyse 5070 BIOS? ...I hit F2 to access BIOS Set-Up, and reset to the default BIOS setting, and cannot find the eMMC. I realize the eMMC isn't really a SATA device, but cannot find anything in BIOS setup for the eMMC. My 120GB M.2 SSD does show up as in BIOS Settings > System Configuration > Drives > SATA-0, but I cannot find anything for disabling or even viewing the expected ~16GB eMMC. ...I have disabled secure boot, to make sure I can load Lunbuntu from USB drive.

My goal is to save & protect the eMMC with existing Thin Client software. I want to eventually experiment with the Linux thin client, but probably won't happen anytime soon. For now I just want to install Lunbuntu LTS 20.4 on the 120GB SSD, and set up 5070 as my print server. ...I am setting up CUPS style print server, because Google sunset their excellent Google Cloud Printer service:(.

Cheers, ABQ :)

Last edited:

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
@WANg (or other Wyse 5070 experts like @Samir;), great idea on protecting the eMMC from heavy writes or wearing out. ...But how did you exclude (disable) the eMMC in the Wyse 5070 BIOS? ...I hit F2 to access BIOS Set-Up, and reset to the default BIOS setting, and cannot find the eMMC. I realize the eMMC isn't really a SATA device, but cannot find anything in BIOS setup for the eMMC. My 120GB M.2 SSD does show up as in BIOS Settings > System Configuration > Drives > SATA-0, but I cannot find anything for disabling or even viewing the expected ~16GB eMMC. ...I have disabled secure boot, to make sure I can load Lunbuntu from USB drive.

My goal is to save & protect the eMMC with existing Thin Client software. I want to eventually experiment with the Linux thin client, but probably won't happen anytime soon. For now I just want to install Lunbuntu LTS 20.4 on the 120GB SSD, and set up 5070 as my print server. ...I am setting up CUPS style print server, because Google sunset their excellent Google Cloud Printer service:(.
Eh, pop an M2 SATA SSD in there and never, ever use the eMMC?

abq

May 23, 2015
Eh, pop an M2 SATA SSD in there and never, ever use the eMMC?
Thanks again for sharing your knowledge & experience. ...Sorry for being a bit obtuse or slow learner here, but doesn't Grub type stuff & initial boot stuff default write to the eMMC still? Does this mean you cannot disable the eMMC, just avoid any obvious use of it? Anything a novice can easily miss, that is not obvious, but may still write to eMMC (e.g. log files, etc)?

Last edited:

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Thanks again for sharing your knowledge & experience. ...Sorry for being a bit obtuse or slow learner here, but doesn't Grub type stuff default & initial boot stuff write to the eMMC then? This mean you cannot disable the eMMC, just avoid any obvious use of it? Anything a novice can easily miss, that is not obvious, but may still write to eMMC?
It depends on how you set up grub and whether you left the eMMC alone or not. You can setup grub2 to put the boot sector on the SSD itself. From what I remember, as long as the SSD is configured to have boot priority over the eMMC (I think it does that if it detects an SSD drive on the M2 by default), it'll ignore whatever is on the eMMC. And even if the eMMC accessed first, the boot process does not write anything to the eMMC so it's not really wearing it out per-se. With eMMC reading is not the problem - it's constant writing. That's why almost all thin client OS that I am aware of (HP ThinPro, Wyse ThinOS, Win7/10 IoT) maps the boot media as read-only and uses copy-on-write in a RAMdisk for anything transient.
I am currently dealing with the HP t640 thin clients, but when I have some bandwidth I'll jump back on the 5070 later to have a look.

Reactions: Samir and abq

abq

May 23, 2015
It depends on how you set up grub and whether you left the eMMC alone or not. You can setup grub2 to put the boot sector on the SSD itself. From what I remember, as long as the SSD is configured to have boot priority over the eMMC (I think it does that if it detects an SSD drive on the M2 by default), it'll ignore whatever is on the eMMC. And even if the eMMC accessed first, the boot process does not write anything to the eMMC so it's not really wearing it out per-se. With eMMC reading is not the problem - it's constant writing. That's why almost all thin client OS that I am aware of (HP ThinPro, Wyse ThinOS, Win7/10 IoT) maps the boot media as read-only and uses copy-on-write in a RAMdisk for anything transient.
I am currently dealing with the HP t640 thin clients, but when I have some bandwidth I'll jump back on the 5070 later to have a look.
No rush or worries, I do not want to impose & mainly wanted to make sure I understood eMMC priority for boot, grub, & any log type writes. I understand that writes are the problem, but was not obvious how I make sure boot/grub/log type writes will NOT go to or impact the eMMC. ...Good note on leaving eMMC alone, I want option of testing with Linux Thin Client in distant future - maybe after I get my print server working and other projects out of the way. ...I also need to read up on the various options with grub, and versions - I do get a brief screen flash with some reference to grub2, assume that is stock behaviour. ...Would you happen to know if I can easily enable secure boot with Ubuntu on the 5070? I tried enabling secure boot (& disable PXE boot) with default BIOS, and this caused problems (no boot), so left 'secure boot' off/not enabled.

Ghstudio

Feb 9, 2021
I am using a 5070 (J5005) for home assistant and want to add multimedia using my TV and sound system for music and movies. I am running Debian 10 with docker (home assistant/PiHole), but I could easily move to Ubuntu or other linux distributions or run everything under Proxmox. After much hours of trial and error, I've managed to get stereo sound over Displayport (HDMI) working...but I can't figure out a way to get 5:1 sound enabled. Is 5:1 possible on my 5070 under linux.....(I wonder if it would work under windows, although I'd prefer not to go there on this box)?

Ghstudio

Feb 9, 2021
I purchased my 5070 used and the only thing missing were the three screws that hold the cover in place. Does anyone know the specs (size/length) of those little screws? (one would think there's standardization, but the screws from a 5020 are narrower than the screw holes on the 5070).

lerehacktif

Feb 18, 2021
HI all, I joined to get involved with the 5070 thread here, I currently run home assistant but have like many others have, been plagued with sd fails, so we are looking to migrate to an alternative, after much study these wyse machines seem to be the best bang for buck, out pricing the Lenovo m600 and nuc. I found out about this machine today (i brought mine from ebay UK) and it seems there is not much known about these machines as a viable step up from pi. Would like to ask you all if you could share any information about the 5070 that i can report back to the home assistant group it would be great, all the best
Hello everybody, very interesting this blog about the Wyse!
Me too, recently I bought a 5070 for 150 box So I'm fan about using fanless plateforms for home. Also i'm using Home assistant for many years. I was plainning to migrate hassio on this wyse. But using it just for domotic may be to keep my Raspi 4 is enough for running HA and using my wyse for a Nas configuration like runing freenas, truenas etc could be a smart issue. The idea is to virtualize a networkcard and making a network agregation using low cost usb3/c 2,5/5Gits ethernet externenals bridges or the 10Gb mini pcie2.0 kit extention (seems very difficult to find and buying for a few box). I don't want to use a big and expensive QNAP, like this, I could get a home made Nas configuration for a low price. Also using just a openmediavault container on hassio could make the job but I'm not sure it could be a better solution! Could you give me some advices?

Ghstudio

Feb 9, 2021
HI all, I joined to get involved with the 5070 thread here, I currently run home assistant but have like many others have, been plagued with sd fails, so we are looking to migrate to an alternative, after much study these wyse machines seem to be the best bang for buck, out pricing the Lenovo m600 and nuc. I found out about this machine today (i brought mine from ebay UK) and it seems there is not much known about these machines as a viable step up from pi. Would like to ask you all if you could share any information about the 5070 that i can report back to the home assistant group it would be great, all the best
I have been running Home assistant under debian 10 and docker for a couple of months on a 5070 j5005 with 8gb/128gb. I can find no significant difference (to me) between the 5070 and the equivalent NUC7PJYH. The 5070 does not have an hdmi port...only displayports, so an adapter is needed if you need hdmi. The 5070 has many more USB ports than the NUC, if that's important.

The only diffficulty I've run into is audio over hdmi which is apparently a problem with the intel drivers and most likely would be the same on the NUC. After much reading and experimentation, I have stereo sound over hdmi working, but have not found a way to get multichannel audio over HDMI working. That has no effect on home assistant.

I had home assistant running under proxmox on the 5070, but moved to a single debian system because I couldn't find a good reason to be running Proxmox. I may run proxmox under Debian rather than a Debian VM under Proxmox at some point...just to get proxmox experience.

I paid $100 for my 5070 used on EBAY....quite a saving over the NUC7PJYH which seems to cost about $50-75 more.

It is quite a bit faster than the RPI 4b 4GB with external ssd I was using previously.

lerehacktif

Feb 18, 2021
Ok, thanks, so If I follow you advices first, install a debian buster, secondo proxmox (better to use proxmox virtualisation than bhyde inside freenas or truenas) in last install openmediavault for NAS solution/ that's it?

Ghstudio

Feb 9, 2021
The question is whether you need proxmox at all. I haven't found a reason to move to proxmox, other than educational and intellectual curiosity. If you do want to run proxmox, the next question is do you also want to run a desktop on the same 5070 or are you just running a server. If it's a server, then just install proxmox. If you want a desktop, there are many options that work. If you install proxmox under debian and you foul up the debian system, you may lose proxmox Vm's, etc. If you install debian in a VM and you foul up, you only lose that VM....but I'm not sure how you assign your display to that VM vs it defaulting to be the Proxmox display. You can also install a desktop on Proxmox itself since it's a subset of Debiant... install proxmox and add a desktop. I don't have a recommendation.

lerehacktif

Feb 18, 2021
Ok my main requirement is to make a NAS. Just a bonnus sometime to use freenas bhyde virtualisation or Docker and stay on openmediavault. Also now I know it's easy to find some 5070 wyses arround 80 dolls May be foget bhyde or proxmox virtualization and buying another box to make the job or using only docker containers not os virtualization on thèse lite Platforms!

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
I have a weird Q, has anyone actually used this as a thin client as its supposed to be with windows 2012 R2? I'm wondering if this would be a good solution for me to help my parents with. stick a relatively cheap off lease server in their home, give them VDI with 2 (or more) of these and able to manage things remotely. The main things I could see being an issue. 1) youtube video and 2) Zoom / other video conferencing systems. Wondering if anyone has experience on that side.

forests_gump

Feb 18, 2021
any idea would it work for the purpose of setting NAS, if insert a 4x Sata ports card into the 5070 extended?
would 5070 Bios support booting from those 4x Sata harddisk ports?

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Hello everybody, very interesting this blog about the Wyse!
Me too, recently I bought a 5070 for 150 box So I'm fan about using fanless plateforms for home. Also i'm using Home assistant for many years. I was plainning to migrate hassio on this wyse. But using it just for domotic may be to keep my Raspi 4 is enough for running HA and using my wyse for a Nas configuration like runing freenas, truenas etc could be a smart issue. The idea is to virtualize a networkcard and making a network agregation using low cost usb3/c 2,5/5Gits ethernet externenals bridges or the 10Gb mini pcie2.0 kit extention (seems very difficult to find and buying for a few box). I don't want to use a big and expensive QNAP, like this, I could get a home made Nas configuration for a low price. Also using just a openmediavault container on hassio could make the job but I'm not sure it could be a better solution! Could you give me some advices?
Okay. Are you planning to use this as a single drive NAS (it's not really a NAS where you can mount more than one drive and standard high capacity spinners at that, this is more like a single SSD), and how would using multiple USB based NICs make it better? The stability and reliability of your NAS relies upon a) the USB NIC b) The electronics on the ports and internal hub and c) The sanity of the USB stack in your OS? That's 3 potential points of failure.

Why not just buy a 5070 "big" or an HP t730 with a PCIe slot, or a t640 with the potential for a secondary fiber NIC? Hell, even the HPe EC200a has 2 GigE ports.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
I have a weird Q, has anyone actually used this as a thin client as its supposed to be with windows 2012 R2? I'm wondering if this would be a good solution for me to help my parents with. stick a relatively cheap off lease server in their home, give them VDI with 2 (or more) of these and able to manage things remotely. The main things I could see being an issue. 1) youtube video and 2) Zoom / other video conferencing systems. Wondering if anyone has experience on that side.
It'll work fine - the SoC uses the Kaby Lake GT2 GPU - it's not that powerful but it can offload H264/H265. I mean, if you want more *oooomph*, buy a newer t640 thin client (100 bucks on eBay) - that one has about 20-30% more CPU/GPU firepower.