Updating the HGST HDD & SSD firmware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sand_storm

Aug 22, 2018
I have a box of huc101212css600 hdds with one same fail in all drives, they does not spin up. I hear what it tries(sound like mosquito), but after 10-15 second it stops to try. Drives are visible in system, but smartctl says:
device is NOT READY (e.g. spun down, busy)
on all of them. Tried to re-flash it by HP Firmware (it is HP drives) - but got sg_write_buffer this error:
ioctl(SG_IO v3) failed: Invalid argument (errno=22)
write buffer: pass through os error: Invalid argument

any ideas to bring this drives to life ?

jcl333

May 28, 2011
Hello, I have a bunch of HUSMM1640ASS204 drives.
I see in the file listing there is a HUSMM1640ASS200 and the firmware is SPGNA204.bin
I have not yet been able to location where to download Drive_Firmware_1.13.tgz

Vahan, I don't know if you still watch this thread, wondering if you would be able to help me out.

Thanks

-JCL

kaleruka

Jan 5, 2021
HUSMR7676BDP3Y1 - bought used this u2 drive - now searching for a new firmware - anyone can help?

Harry P. Nyce

Harry P. Nyce
Sep 27, 2017
Great post, I've wanted to update my drives forever -- have a pair of ibm branded HGST HUSMM1680ASS201 from 17JUN2016.

Any luck @Donduke sir? Not sure if the firmware is different. Please advise.

aniel

Jul 24, 2020
can anybody post the "Drive_Firmware_1.13.tgz" file on mega or google drive, thank you.

Donduke

Feb 6, 2021
Great post, I've wanted to update my drives forever -- have a pair of ibm branded HGST HUSMM1680ASS201 from 17JUN2016.

Any luck @Donduke sir? Not sure if the firmware is different. Please advise.
No answer at this point. I'm still hopeful that someone may have the correct firmware or if the same firmware works across the family of drives.

Reactions: Harry P. Nyce

Harry P. Nyce

Harry P. Nyce
Sep 27, 2017
No answer at this point. I'm still hopeful that someone may have the correct firmware or if the same firmware works across the family of drives.
Mine are nearly identical, but have different branding, so unsure how this would potentially affect firmware.

Product ID: HSVW800
Vendor: IBM-SSG
Drive Firmware: B204

Whaaat

Jan 31, 2020
Great post, I've wanted to update my drives forever -- have a pair of ibm branded HGST HUSMM1680ASS201
Why would you want to update firmware on them? Once I switched the firmware on my ES.3 drives from Dell EMC to the original Seagate version and I can no longer disable background media scan after this update.(((

Donduke

Feb 6, 2021
Mine are nearly identical, but have different branding, so unsure how this would potentially affect firmware.

Product ID: HSVW800
Vendor: IBM-SSG
Drive Firmware: B204
I'm willing to give it a try but I'd need to know where to download that particular firmware. Do you happen to have a link to where the firmware can be downloaded from?