And so it begins... First AMD Ryzen AM4 server motherboard.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I don't know how I managed to miss that in the changelog >_<

AMDs naming convention for the various AGESA firmwares has been a disaster but yeah, as far as I'm aware both 3.37 and 3.50 are both using the ComboPI 1.0.0.6 version.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Probably not - grapevine says that only X470 boards with 32MB ROMs will be able to run the 5000 series (presumably due to needing space for all the different sets of microcode) and this board only uses a 16MB chip.

If so, unless ASRR introduce a 5000-series-only BIOS variant or offer replacement BIOS chips I think this'll be stuck with the 3000s only.
New year seemingly means it's "You're Wrong!" night for Effrafax; ASRR have just posted beta BIOS 4.02I with 5000 series support for the X470D4U.

Edit: now replaced with 4.02J which includes the new 1.1.9.0 AGESA.

Last edited:
Reactions: damienr
D

Deleted member 30475

Upgraded to BMC 2.20 + BIOS 3.50, and didn't notice any regression. Upgrading to 5000 series is not in my plans but added support in the latest beta is a statement that Asrock Rack is serious about supporting the product. Thank you AsRock Rack team, if you reading this.

Egbert

May 6, 2012
If anyone is using non-default certificates for the IPMI web UI, note that BMC 2.20 has a regression that prevents the certificate from actually being used by the UI. I reported this to ASRock Rack support and they have fixed it in a beta (or internal) 2.22 build. No word on when that will be released publicly yet though.

Reactions: scline

MPC-EU

Feb 4, 2021
Hey, im new here and i have this motherboard. I have issues with fan control. The menu for editing fan curves just doesnt show up in my BMC-IPMI (version: 2.20). What am i doing wrong, or has this feature been removed?

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Hey, im new here and i have this motherboard. I have issues with fan control. The menu for editing fan curves just doesnt show up in my BMC-IPMI (version: 2.20). What am i doing wrong, or has this feature been removed?
I can confirm it's not present in the 2.20 IPMI; was it present in the earlier betas?

FWIW I've been modifying my fan curves from within the OS using the IPMI raws mentioned in this FAQ.

MPC-EU

Feb 4, 2021
@EffrafaxOfWug i am running ubuntu 20.04 on it, so to set the speed to half, i would do:
ipmitool raw 0x3a 0x01 0x32 0x32 0x32 0x32 0x32 0x32 0x32 0x32 ?
or would i need to do this in a different format?

Edit:
Also, does it have anything to do with BIOS version perhaps? im not fully up to date on that yet.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
@EffrafaxOfWug i am running ubuntu 20.04 on it, so to set the speed to half, i would do:
ipmitool raw 0x3a 0x01 0x32 0x32 0x32 0x32 0x32 0x32 0x32 0x32 ?
or would i need to do this in a different format?

Edit:
Also, does it have anything to do with BIOS version perhaps? im not fully up to date on that yet.
Assuming you're using manual fan control, 0x32 will set each of the fan controls to 50% duty cycle, yes. They'll then run at half speed regardless of load/temps.

However, the fan curve settings are those defined under the latter half of the FAQ under the duty cycle and temperature table values - with this you leave your settings as "smart fan" (ipmitool raw 0x3a 0x01 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0) and modify these two tables to set a particular duty cycle for a given temperature.

IPMI's almost wholly separate from the BIOS so no, upgrading the BIOS shouldn't make any meaningful difference.

hellofaduck

Feb 8, 2021
Hello, does anybody use this mobo for Proxmox with passthru built-in devices to VMs? I can passthru only GPU, because this PCIe slot in separate IOMMU group, but all other controllers like ASMedia SATA and NVME in one, and it does not separating whatever settings in BIOS i change((

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
The website says it supports 128gb
The post you're replying to is from early 2019 when I don't think 32GB UDIMMs were a thing yet so I think 64GB would have been the maximum at that point.

FWIW I've run mine with 2*16GB 3200 UDIMMs, 4*32GB 2666 ECC UDIMMs and 2*32GB 3200 ECC UDIMMs; my regular loadout is 2x32GB 2666 ECC UDIMMs.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
The post you're replying to is from early 2019 when I don't think 32GB UDIMMs were a thing yet so I think 64GB would have been the maximum at that point.

FWIW I've run mine with 2*16GB 3200 UDIMMs, 4*32GB 2666 ECC UDIMMs and 2*32GB 3200 ECC UDIMMs; my regular loadout is 2x32GB 2666 ECC UDIMMs.
oops

bintravel

Jun 22, 2020
I use this mobo with proxmox, 2 nvme drives in zfs mirror setup. However, after some time (variable, sometimes 1 day, sometimes 2 days), one of the 2 disks disappears from the system, it is not detected anymore. The system continues to run, but the zfs mirror goes into a degraded state. A reboot solves the problem for some days.

Could this be caused by the fact that the 2 nvme slots are different speeds?

soupyfrood

Dec 12, 2019
I also am running Proxmox on the x470d4u, with OS and VM storage on a pair of NVMe drives. I’ve had no issues with it. Is it always the same drive that drops off? Have you tried swapping the two drives between the m.2 slots? And if so, is it always the same slot that has the problem?

llowrey

Feb 26, 2018
I use this mobo with proxmox, 2 nvme drives in zfs mirror setup. However, after some time (variable, sometimes 1 day, sometimes 2 days), one of the 2 disks disappears from the system, it is not detected anymore. The system continues to run, but the zfs mirror goes into a degraded state. A reboot solves the problem for some days.

Could this be caused by the fact that the 2 nvme slots are different speeds?
I have had this same issue. In my case, it's always the PCIe3 x2 slot. It's intermittent... sometimes it's detected... and sometimes it's not. This machine is my backup server and powers up once a day to run backups then shuts down. So, I was rolling the dice every day. The slot in question is the one that has SATA as an alt mode. The PCIe2 x4 slot never gave me any trouble.

I originally had a pair of Silicon Power SSDs but assumed they were unreliable so I replaced them with a pair of HP EX950's. I have never had any trouble with the HPs in any other system but suffered the same issue with the PCIe3 x2 slot. Given these two use different controllers (Phison v Silicon Motion) it is unlikely that it's the SSDs but must be the board or bios.

I contacted ASRock Rack support but got no meaningful response. At this point I have abandoned the PCIe3 x2 slot.

Reactions: emohhtevres

bintravel

Jun 22, 2020
Thanks for the feedback. I also contacted Asrock, but i got no reply (yet)...

I swapped the disks also around, but it seems to be always the same slot which goes 'offline'. So i suspected also the mobo.

I was thinking of getting a ASUS HYPER M.2 X16 GEN 4 CARD, but since i also have a gpu card in it, i'm not sure if it's possible. If both PCI slot 4 and 6 are occupied, 8x8 split is required/automatically set, but the asus card requires 4x4x4x4 split.

Other option would be 2 SATA SSD... but that would kinda 'hurt' me

@llowrey, what do you use now instead that PCIe3 x2 slot?

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I've been running mine under debian (base OS for proxmox) for the best part of a year with two NVME drives for my boot volumes with no issues. At this stage I'd check whether the drives you're using are on the HQL, FWIW I'm using Intel P4101's.

I was thinking of getting a ASUS HYPER M.2 X16 GEN 4 CARD, but since i also have a gpu card in it, i'm not sure if it's possible. If both PCI slot 4 and 6 are occupied, 8x8 split is required/automatically set, but the asus card requires 4x4x4x4 split.
This card needs bifurcation to work, so you'd need to keep the slot 6 in 4*4x and not shared with slot 4.

soupyfrood

Dec 12, 2019
I just checked my setup. I've got a 1.9TB Samsung PM983 on the 3.0 x2 slot, and a 2.0TB Intel P-4510 on the 2.0 x4 slot.

I'd check the system logs and see if there's any error messages when the drive goes missing. It's still kind of hard to speculate whether it's the motherboard, versus a drive that doesn't play nicely in an x2 slot.

soupyfrood

Dec 12, 2019
Has anyone tried the beta BIOS 4.02L yet? I'd love to jump up to a 5000 series CPU, but BIOS quality has been pretty dubious at times on this board.