Finally: Overclocking EPYC Rome ES

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Donsal

Sep 8, 2020
I currently can't get my h11dsi-nt motherboard and 2x zs 64 core cpus to post I have tried to update the bios through ipmi it worked but i didn't give me a display output on my gpu and as of late I can't get a display outport from the onboard aspeed gpu from vga outport and the ipmi doesn't even show up on my network to login anymore and the motherboard once I plug it into a psu it turns on automatically without pressing power on it never did that before is there anyway to fix this like with a CH341a to flash the right bios onto it or something?

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
@Donsal it is very weird that the ipmi isn't available on the netwokr anymore, or that you weren't getting any picture from it before that.

Do you still have a lit up heartbeat LED?
Or did you check the network-cables and do you have a link to the dedicated network BMC network port?

Even if it sounds stupid and shouldn't be possible. could it be that you flashed the BIOS to the BMC and not the Bios?
You have to have license to update the BIOS from the ipmi, do you have one?

Donsal

Sep 8, 2020
What CPUs do you have what bios did you flash?
2x ZS1406E2VJUG5 64-core cpus, custom bios for h11dsi rev 2.0 from op I have a rev 2.0 motherboard.

@Donsal it is very weird that the ipmi isn't available on the netwokr anymore, or that you weren't getting any picture from it before that.

Do you still have a lit up heartbeat LED?
Or did you check the network-cables and do you have a link to the dedicated network BMC network port?

Even if it sounds stupid and shouldn't be possible. could it be that you flashed the BIOS to the BMC and not the Bios?
You have to have license to update the BIOS from the ipmi, do you have one?
No, the green led in the corner next to the pcie lanes lights up static, I have the network cable plugged into the bmc network port the way I previously connect on my network to login into impi but the difference now is instead of the network port having orange and green leds indicating it works it has one green led blinking slowly and no led on the other side, no ip address pops up on dhcp leases like it did previously. The way I updated the bios in the first place was through ipmi software which I have a licence for.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
@Donsal
the static light Heartbeat LED is supposed to start blinking once the BMC has finished booting and is able to serve the the management interfaces.

So, no blinking, no ipmi and managment.
Since the BMC also serves as SuperIO controller, FW issues might cause the board to not turn on or POST as expected.

Eith that known, its not an issue with yoir memory or cpus but the board and specifically the BMC.

I ask again, are you sure you haven't flashed / bricked the BMC FW?

Donsal

Sep 8, 2020
@Donsal
the static light Heartbeat LED is supposed to start blinking once the BMC has finished booting and is able to serve the the management interfaces.

So, no blinking, no ipmi and managment.
Since the BMC also serves as SuperIO controller, FW issues might cause the board to not turn on or POST as expected.

Eith that known, its not an issue with yoir memory or cpus but the board and specifically the BMC.

I ask again, are you sure you haven't flashed / bricked the BMC FW?
I am positive that I have bricked the BMC FW.

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
been running some benchmark with different settings and noticed something peculiar with aida64 cache benchmark, Overclocked memory speeds go up a little but cache speeds drop by a lot, especially L3, from like 4-5000gb/s to 1500gb/s ish, anyone else noticed the same?

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
been running some benchmark with different settings and noticed something peculiar with aida64 cache benchmark, Overclocked memory speeds go up a little but cache speeds drop by a lot, especially L3, from like 4-5000gb/s to 1500gb/s ish, anyone else noticed the same?
Yes, back on page 14

Post your Aida and remind me of your specs / configuration. Just curious because your 1500 is like triple my 500 (but I'm single socket 7502).

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
yea looks like both overclocking slows it down, but also newer agesas must have slowed it down at stock, cant reproduce the 5gb/s l3 read score on later agesas:
1.0.0.1 agesa on h11dsi
XSplit.Core_6Gt1HXvwRH.jpg
1.0.0.7 on mz72 stock, not the best apples to apples comparison since its a different mb, also noticed stock speeds are reported differently although it still runs up to 3200stock.
XSplit.Core_VkwlyyYxqn.jpg

luckily dosnt effect my workloads in any noticeable way or even benchmarks, already set some WRs with the new board including #1 geekbench5 and corona bench and 100k cinebench. But id be interested to test earlier agesa on this motherboard, unfortunately no old bios available. wonder if inserting old agesas into newer bios is doable?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
@Donsal
Then a ch341a with a clamp will be able to flash a new FW.
Be aware, those clamps are a pita though.
this does not work i.e. with intel xeon boards because the bios is initialized with the chipset via serial number.
The MAC addresses of the LAN port are also in the BIOS code. with EPYC the chipset is in the processor (system on chip) but I don't think that you can burn the raw bios without problems.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
@RolloZ170
i highly doubt your claim of it not working, even on intel, based on my own experiences and knowledge of how that stuff works.
Besides, this specific case we are talking about, isn't about the BIOS but the BMC FW. Still an SPI EEPROM, just MIO and for the BMC to hold its linux.

irgen

Jan 14, 2021
Guys some advice here please.. i bult a nas with epycd8-2t and zs1711e3vivg5. But m/b does not post. BMC is flashing, green, motherboard does turn on and cpu heats up but i am unabe to get any post codes at all even 00. Is that a bios or m/b itself is faulty?

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
Try an older bios maybe? Think I remember someone saying zs CPUs not working on newer agesa,though not 100% on that.

irgen

Jan 14, 2021
Try an older bios maybe? Think I remember someone saying zs CPUs not working on newer agesa,though not 100% on that.
yes the cpu seller said it has to work on old bios. however on asrock site it says rome supported since ver. 2.30 and this is current firmware of the board. They also have 2.60 which is never and 1.50 which seems does not have epyc rome support

irgen

Jan 14, 2021
bios 2.30 includes AGESA NaplesPI-SP3 1.0.0.9
the bios must have an Agesa < 1.0.0.3 other will not work.
ASRock must be modded.
Thank you RolloZ170 Spartus but how did you know 2.30 contains Agesa 1.0.0.9? There's no such info's on asrock site. So my poblem is how do i find out which version of old bios to mod?
UPD also after i tried to downgrade bios via IPMI now it does not show bios version at all.. Did i killed it somehow?

Attachments