Xeon D-1541 Quanta storage servers on ebay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sunny_The7ank

Jun 8, 2020
I'm having a ton of problems with the unit they sent me. Frame's bent, both of the temp sensors on one of the backplanes are bad, and the unit crashes if you slide the drive tray out and back in. I took it apart and found that the power cable to the drives is severely frayed. Y'all might want to check that power cable. It's a pain to get to, but better than a fire.

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
I'm having a ton of problems with the unit they sent me. Frame's bent, both of the temp sensors on one of the backplanes are bad, and the unit crashes if you slide the drive tray out and back in. I took it apart and found that the power cable to the drives is severely frayed. Y'all might want to check that power cable. It's a pain to get to, but better than a fire.
My first unit came in wonky - second was mint. I suggested that the future shipments be as well padded as my replacement because the box + foam itself was not cutting it.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Hey guys... finally have some time to mess around with mine...

Mine came with:

BIOS Version: S1Q_3A08.HGT03
BMC Firmware Revision: 53.20.00
Expander Board Firmware Version: 0520

Noting the message in OP about making sure BMC and backplane firmware are updated before the BIOS update, I'm a little confused by the versions I have. Latest BMC version available from QCT website is 3.33, and the BIOS update needs at least 3.31. Mine has version 53.20.00 ??? Not sure how to compare that? Same with backplane... mine is 0520, but required version for the BIOS update is 1.08. Indeed, QCT has the 1.08 update available for download... but again, 0520 vs 1.08?

Thoughts?

UPDATE:

okay, I think I understand the backplane versioning now. Using lsscsi, I see:

Code:
[7:0:0:0]    enclosu QUANTA   D51PH-1ULH       0520  -          /dev/sg1
but with storcli /c0 /e0 show:

Code:
CLI Version = 007.0605.0000.0000 Mar 5, 2018
Operating system = Linux 3.10.0-1127.10.1.el7.x86_64
Controller = 0
Status = Success
Description = None

Properties :
==========

------------------------------------------------------------------
EID State Slots PD PS Fans TSs Alms SIM ProdID     VendorSpecific
  0 OK       16  0  0    0   0    0   1 D51PH-1ULH x48-0.5.2.0

EID-Enclosure Device ID |PD-Physical drive count |PS-Power Supply count|
TSs-Temperature sensor count |Alms-Alarm count |SIM-SIM Count
So, 0520=0.5.2.0. I'm guessing version 1.08 is 1.0.8.0? So, definitely 0.5.2.0 < 1.0.8.0... The release notes also refer to the version as v1.0.8 Release, although they refer to 0.5.2.0 as v0.52 (I think).

Still not sure about the BMC version 53.20.00 vs 3.31 or 3.33? Or is the 53.20.00==3.20?

UPDATE 2:

The BMC firmware version I have (53.20.00) has build time "Jun 9 2017 15:32:07 CST". Going through the Release notes for the BMC firmware, it doesn't match up with 3.20.00 either. Here's the version heading from the release notes:

Code:
Version: 3.33.00
Release Date: 2020.03.25

Version: 3.31.00
Release Date: 2019.10.07

skipping back to 2017...

Version: 3.23.00
Release Date: 2017.08.24

Version: 3.22.00
Release Date: 2017.06.14

Version: 3.21.00
Release Date: 2017.05.12

Version: 3.20.00
Release Date: 2017.03.21
The build date fits between version 3.21.00 and 3.22.00. Decided to send QCT a message to see if they can clarify.

Last edited:

lnxpro

Mar 1, 2016
My first unit was bent in the middle at the seam. It also did not POST. It would power up, amber light blinks on the front. but no POST. No video.
No DHCP request from the BMC but the link lights are lit.
The seller did send me a replacement so I got that going for now but it has a dead CMOS battery reading 2.1v
Expander firmware seems to be 0520 so any info on updating that before I can update the BMC and BIOS ?
Thanks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
My unit came DOA - no POST, no response. I ordered this back in March and only recently opened the box - seller offered to ship replacement, which is amazing.

@BLinux just to point out, you have the D51PH expander, so make sure you use the firmware at QuantaGrid D51PH-1ULH | 1U Storage Server | QCT.io. I'd just boot UEFI, with storecli.efi and the .fw files on a FAT32 flash stick.
@j_h_o thanks for the tip! I actually already figured it out and mentioned that in my video:

BTW, my unit ended up being defective too. It would randomly reboot and log a ECC error on DIMM slot B. Core 4 did replace it for me with a slightly different unit, haven't fully tested that out yet. Strange thing is I can run memtest86+ for days without error... but then let it run some OS for a few days and spontaneous reboot.

semidetached

Sep 18, 2018
I just received one this week and my unit also seemed dead at first... it locked up during POST with all LEDs in the back diagnostic cluster lighting up. I was able to get into the BMC with admin/admin after it pulled an address over DHCP and found that the BIOS was updated to A14 before the BMC and expander FW were flashed. Downgrading to A10 allowed me to boot. Not sure if some of the other "dead" units received were in a similar state.

Also I paid $319. On core4's site they are down to $369 and there is a $50 coupon on the YouTube video by @BLinux

oldfett

Jul 20, 2016
does anyone happen to know what screws to use on the inner rails that were included?
I think they are, at least recently, maybe shipping the incorrect rails with these systems. I could be wrong but I think this system should be using a static rail/lip/shelf and they are shipping sliding rails for a more standard 1U server.

Burksdb

Oct 23, 2014
I think they are, at least recently, maybe shipping the incorrect rails with these systems. I could be wrong but I think this system should be using a static rail/lip/shelf and they are shipping sliding rails for a more standard 1U server.
The rails i received are certainly the sliding ones. I'll have to reach out and see what they say.

oldfett

Jul 20, 2016
The rails i received are certainly the sliding ones. I'll have to reach out and see what they say.
Sounds like we got the same thing, these look like the King slide equivalent to a 1U Dell server sliding rail. Even if we had screws I don't see how this inner rail would line up. I've been working with C4 the last few days trying to figure it out, but I did just notice they have the picture of what I think is the right rail on their listing.

C4-Picture.jpg

That lip looks like the perfect size for the cutout/relief on the bottom of the server to sit on. I'm sure its an honest mistake as rails in a box all start looking the same, especially in the quantity they likely have.

Burksdb

Oct 23, 2014
Sounds like we got the same thing, these look like the King slide equivalent to a 1U Dell server sliding rail. Even if we had screws I don't see how this inner rail would line up. I've been working with C4 the last few days trying to figure it out, but I did just notice they have the picture of what I think is the right rail on their listing.

That lip looks like the perfect size for the cutout/relief on the bottom of the server to sit on. I'm sure its an honest mistake as rails in a box all start looking the same, especially in the quantity they likely have.
That does seem to be the case. Nice catch on the rail in the pic. Sounds like you are already making some progress. I'll try calling later but i sent them an email.

Chielos

Dec 25, 2020
Does someone have a idea on IPMI raw command to change the fan speeds of the server?
Found this document : http://www.staroceans.org/e-book/S2B IPMI Commands.pdf

But it's a different Server, and apparently commands are not in line.

Managed to connect and see everything. I can also adjust the lower sensor thresholds, but no the actual fanspeed it self.

I think it is not an option:
RAW Commands: raw <netfn> <cmd> [data]

Network Function Codes:

VAL HEX STRING
==============================================
0 0x00 Chassis
2 0x02 Bridge
4 0x04 SensorEvent
6 0x06 Application
8 0x08 Firmware
10 0x0a Storage
12 0x0c Transport

Don't see any Fan option. A lot of topic on ipmitool speak about 0x30 as a Hex value to start with.

Last edited:

Kbrennan

Jan 6, 2021
For those of you that picked these up, are you generally happy with them? Debating between this, a supermicro 826 build, or rolling my own box for Unraid.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
I picked up 5 to run a proxmox ceph cluster on. After working thru the bios and firmware updates everything has been running solid so far.
Another price drop and it will be hard to resist buying them :D

New house and rack in a few months, fighting the urge to offer 220-250$ area for 8ish then will be hard.

oldfett

Jul 20, 2016
PXL_20210113_004027116.jpg

Received the correct rails, seller confirmed honest mistake mixing up the rail storage bins. Taking a picture and providing details for others if needed.

Not the greatest picture but incorrect sliding King Slide rail on the left, correct static King Slide rail on the right. The sliding rails would never have worked, there is nowhere to attach the inner rail to the server and even if you did somehow, it likely wouldn't fit width wise and what's the point on sliding out a server 2 feet if its 3 feet long and what you need to access is at the back...

The correct rail has a small half-inch lip/shelf that is longer at the front and has about 6 inches at the back of the rack. This fits perfectly in the small indentation/cutout on the bottom of the server. So you just slide the server into the rack on these little lip/shelf provisions.

Reactions: kdotcarter