SuperMicro X9 E3 boards - December 31, 2020 BIOS bug

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mphilli7823

Jan 4, 2021
I never actually thought about an open firmware but that would be WONDERFUL. My fear is that since a lot of these X9 boards are old an EOL SuperMicro is not going to fix the issue, thus forcing users and me in particular to have to upgrade an otherwise perfectly good mobo's

mphilli7823

Jan 4, 2021
Clearing the CMOS is a bit drastic as it also clears any BIOS settings (e.g., IPMI IP) you might have set. You should be able to boot into an OS, from which you can backdate the RTC.
When I cleared the CMOS it did not reset the IPMI settings

Reactions: Sean Ho

netswitch

Sep 24, 2018
We are also affected by this (incredible) bug.
Tryed to reflash bios and ipmi but got no luck.

Has anybody tryed to flash to an older bios ?

Neccros

Jun 22, 2018
We are also affected by this (incredible) bug.
Tryed to reflash bios and ipmi but got no luck.

Has anybody tryed to flash to an older bios ?
Personally I'd just wait for the update and use the workaround.... 2.1-2.3 BIOS's seem to be affected....

Reactions: NOsterhaus

mphilli7823

Jan 4, 2021
I just received an update from SuperMicro:

"We are aware of this issue and working internally to address it. I will provide an update once I have more details of BIOS fixes. Please continue to use the manual work-around for now."
Any word back from SuperMicro on a fix?

gseeley

Mar 3, 2018
Nothing beyond what I posted earlier in the thread. I suspect it will be a few days at least.
Don't hold your breath. I reported an X10DRH-iT BIOS bug (latest) related to NIC enumeration back in August and just nagged them for an update recently only be told they can't fix it due to "design limitation" which I don't believe because the bug is just a missing DMI table entry as far as I can tell...

Reactions: T_Minus

Neccros

Jun 22, 2018
Seller is in Germany, maybe Supermicro has a European division that might have a fix already up on their site?? Just a guess

lte

Apr 13, 2020
DE
Apparently Supermicro has an inoffical release available:

PW: Yuk1Lj7R

EDIT: for X9SCM/ X9SCL

Last edited:

ouldsmobile

Sep 7, 2019
Apparently Supermicro has an inoffical release available:

PW: Yuk1Lj7R
I flashed one of my boards with this. Seems to be working normally now! Gonna let it run for a week or so before doing my second box with the same board. Thanks for the link.

Dgarsan

Jan 5, 2021
Spain
Good morning, I am new to the forum even though I have been following you for a long time. Sorry for the translation, but I don't speak English. I have three x9sci-ln4f boards with the AB problem, one that I have with the freenas working fine. I have done some tests 1. Set BIOS clock to date before 2021 result after system boot, next reboot follows problem AB 2. With a live ubuntu program, the hardware clock with hwclock. Result of restarting problem AB. 3. Remove the BIOS stack. Result on restarting problem AB From the tests performed, the only way to enter BIOS is to restore cmos. Shared BIOS here is not supported by x9sci-ln4f Hope supermicro will update BIOS for all X9 boards; otherwise i will not buy supermicro again

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
Hope supermicro will update BIOS for all X9 boards; otherwise i will not buy supermicro again
Its a 10 year old board! SuperMicro are intended to be enterprise products. I doubt very many of these boards are still in service in the enterprise. If they aremm they should have already been replaced. Consider yourself lucky that they are even addressing it.

Reactions: gseeley and lte

Dgarsan

Jan 5, 2021
Spain
Mi intención no es generar polémica. Tengo placas base de nivel no empresarial de más de 10 años que funcionan perfectamente a pesar de que la plataforma está desactualizada y agradezco que intentes corregir el error. Pero me parece un grave error

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Consider yourself lucky that they are even addressing it.
Looks like someone's in the early stages of Helsinki Syndrome (as in Helsinki, Sweden)!

Would you buy a motherboard that advertised it was time-bombed to stop working after ten years, even if you intended to replace them after five? SM boards are also very popular inside hardware appliances (Infoblox is one vendor that springs to mind), many of which will be kept running in datacentres as long as the hardware and the maintenance contract last (and frequently much longer than that).

Long-term hardware support is a big deal in these kinds of scenarios; for example, Jetway have many products labelled with a 15yr lifecycle. On company I worked at actually ran one of its test networks two months ahead in order to catch these kinds of bugs.
</derail>

Reactions: Dgarsan

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Jetway sells industrial PCs and is in a different category. You pay a hefty premium for extended support like that anyway. Generally hardware appliances are not supported that long either. The lifecycle on the ones I manage at work are far shorter and the vendor will ship us replacements well before the 10 year mark. It's normally closer to 5 years for commodity hardware.

The fact that they are addressing a bug in a 10 year old product is unusual and a nice gesture on their part. This is uncommon for hardware and software vendors given the age. You shouldn't expect much outside of the stated support period. Supermicro won't even repair hardware older than 5 years...

Reactions: StevenDTX