Deal Dead - Dell Canada - Dell R740 2 x Xeon Gold 5218R 64GB $2378.20 $CAD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PithyChats

Feb 3, 2015
Alas, it seems the deal is now dead.

This deal is for the Canadians - you likely need a Canadian address to order.

Deal link - Dell PowerEdge R740 Rack Server : Servers | Dell Canada

Without editorializing too much, we all know the benefits of Epyc, but for those who want or need Intel this seems decent. You need to choose 32GB 2666MT/s RDIMMS and change QTY -2 (remove all other RDIMMs) - likewise change the hard disk to the cheapest option - 1.2TB 10K RPM SAS 12Gbps 512n 2.5in Hot-plug Hard Drive and remove any others. Finally make sure you remove OpenManage Enterprise Advanced.

You also probably want to change the riser config to: Riser Config 3, 2 x8, 3 x16 slots . There is no charge, and you get additional slots over the default.

There are many reasonable upgrades including dual 1100W PS and/or the 8x3.5" or 16 x2.5" chassis. You may also wish to consider the H740P instead of the H730P if you need extra cache. If you are going with the 3.5" version the 4TB NLSAS drive seems like a better option for only a few dollars more. You can also save a few dollars if you go with a Xeon Gold 5218 or 5215.

Bottom line, as configured in title, you get 40 cores and 64GB of RAM plus rails, dual power supplies, a very sold chassis, iDRAC enterprise, and 3 years of support for under $2400. Shipping is free.

If you are signed up, you may wish to add Rakuten for an additional 2% cash back (or your favourite rewards site).

For anyone who has a Business AMEX, you may be able to stack this offer:

EXPIRY 2021-05-08
DETAILS
Get a statement credit equal to 10% of total qualifying purchases when you use your registered Card at www.dell.ca/workdeals by 08/05/2021. Limit of $1,100 in total credits. Terms apply.

Last edited:

hatchi

Nov 8, 2014
Hi @PithyChats

How did you find the deal in the first place ?
was it in error ?
I saw the deal and i wanted to get a server took me 1 day readying about the system and the cpu
when i was ready the offer was dead :(

as i am currently shopping for new server I want basically to know if this was one time thing or they do it regularly with short window ?

Reactions: PithyChats

PithyChats

Feb 3, 2015
To answer your question, I was playing with configuring a server. Dell is a strange beast - you have to try all kinds of combos and sometimes a good one pops out. I don't have much advice except to play around with the configs. Generally Dell refreshes their offerings every Thursday. Alas, I didn't find this until Wednesday, but with Dell you never know - they routinely carry over specials. Generally their upgrade prices for things like RAM and disk are quite high, so a "barebones" config will generally be your best bet. You can get more RAM etc. from various places. Dell is pretty good about warranty - they won't warranty 3rd party items, but are pretty chill about them in general if you have them running in a server. Hope this helps! :)

Reactions: hatchi

hatchi

Nov 8, 2014
To answer your question, I was playing with configuring a server. Dell is a strange beast - you have to try all kinds of combos and sometimes a good one pops out. I don't have much advice except to play around with the configs. Generally Dell refreshes their offerings every Thursday. Alas, I didn't find this until Wednesday, but with Dell you never know - they routinely carry over specials. Generally their upgrade prices for things like RAM and disk are quite high, so a "barebones" config will generally be your best bet. You can get more RAM etc. from various places. Dell is pretty good about warranty - they won't warranty 3rd party items, but are pretty chill about them in general if you have them running in a server. Hope this helps! :)
Thats really good info
Will wait till Wednesday maybe i can find something as good :)