Supermicro 6028U-TRTP X10DRU-i Barebone $349

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cooldude919

Sep 8, 2016
I just setup my X10DRU-i+ (my first ever Supermicro) with a E5-2640 V4 and some Micron DDR4-2133 MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2 memory. For some reason the memory throws an error at start up about 60% of the time. I have two sticks and they both have the same issue. I'm not sure what's going on.
I have 2x32gb sticks of M393A4K40BB1 and i havent had any issues, given its 2400for the fastest supported mem speed with my 2680v4's.

Did you load them in the right slots based on your stick count? Did you try with less sticks? Memtest OK? What exactly is the error?

cooldude919

Sep 8, 2016
I'm considering the 6028U-TR4T+ for a dedicated TrueNAS build. Basically equipping this with a single lower end processor like a E5 2620-v3 to minimize power consumption. Does that sound like a reasonable option if that's all I'm using the 6028U-TR4T+ for?

I'm also a little concerned about the noise. Is the noise purely from the fans or the power supply as well?
Do you just plan to do truenas and no vm's, dockers, or anything else? If so i would think that would be fine.

FWIW i had virtualized under vmware freenas/trunas on my previous natex dual e5-2670 build. The limited growth options pushed me towards unraid this time, i plan to buy the license soon, but so far it is working well. If you see a need to grow later, and dont need tons of raw read speed, id consider unraid as an option. I have a P3605 as the cache drive, which has like 8PB of write endurance, so i just have all my writes go to cache and run the mover once an hour, so writes are super fast. My content is media, so streaming that does not take crazy fast reads.

czl

May 14, 2016
The spare bedroom on the far side of the house has my server rack in it, SOO FREAKING LOUD! I like some white noise, but the 6028U-TRTP X10DRU-i is head splitting.

If you are driving distance to Palo Alto CA I am thinking to sell my silent rack like one of these but mine takes less floor space and silences perhaps 40 or 50db don’t have the spec sheet with me now. PM me for details if interested.

These are too heavy to ship. Their mass stops sound.

cooldude919

Sep 8, 2016
I'm considering the 6028U-TR4T+ for a dedicated TrueNAS build. Basically equipping this with a single lower end processor like a E5 2620-v3 to minimize power consumption. Does that sound like a reasonable option if that's all I'm using the 6028U-TR4T+ for?

I'm also a little concerned about the noise. Is the noise purely from the fans or the power supply as well?
Also with regards to noise, if you look at this thread, https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/supermicro-x9-x10-x11-fan-speed-control.10059/ , you can just use that tool to turn the fans down. Just keep in mind if you go too low, pack it full of hdds, you could have temp issues for any back pcie devices. I think i had mine at like 15% or something and unraid threw an alert my intel PCIE HDD was 45C, bumped the fans up a bit and it was fine.

Cybertron

Oct 4, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Can anyone comment on the generic rails that seem to come with these? The site has two options but the auction comes with the generic opposed to the SM ones. Personally, i installed my first SM rail 2U server like this not long and am not a huge fan of them. The chassis keeps popping out of the track and if not for the solid server below it, might have fallen out already.

cooldude919

Sep 8, 2016
Can anyone comment on the generic rails that seem to come with these? The site has two options but the auction comes with the generic opposed to the SM ones. Personally, i installed my first SM rail 2U server like this not long and am not a huge fan of them. The chassis keeps popping out of the track and if not for the solid server below it, might have fallen out already.
I can get some pictures tomorrow. I dont know SM rails, but i can see these generic ones seem super basic. Im used to dell rails at work, and they are always great, ball bearing/etc. These generic are slide, metal on metal. Now i mean for me, once i get my rack up, i dont see myself pulling it in and out much. As long as they hold in there, id be fine with them.

Cybertron

Oct 4, 2016
Atlanta, GA
I can get some pictures tomorrow. I dont know SM rails, but i can see these generic ones seem super basic. Im used to dell rails at work, and they are always great, ball bearing/etc. These generic are slide, metal on metal. Now i mean for me, once i get my rack up, i dont see myself pulling it in and out much. As long as they hold in there, id be fine with them.
Yeah, that is my experience with the SM rails. They seem super basic compared to the super beefy Dell rails I'm used to.

BuellMule

May 30, 2020
I bought one of the $349 systems from the server store via Ebay. Packaging was EXCELLENT, shipping was quick. They use the expanding foam bags to protect it. I have not racked this yet. The generic rack rails seem more than adequate, and heavy duty.

Last week I was gifted a Cisco ucsc-c240-m4sx. Which has 24x sff drives, and no PciE risers. Useless for me. But it did have 2x E5-2670V3s, and 16x 32GB SK-Hynix 2133 ram. This was a production server until the beginning of this year.

So, I robbed the Cisco, and put the processors and ram in to the SuperMicro.
It posted, but I got this message:
Failing DIMM: DIMM Location (uncorrectable memory component found) P1-DIMMB1. So I swapped some ram sticks around, and still get the same message. I also tried to set the ram at the correct 2133 speed vs 1867, but it's still stuck at 1867.

SuperMicro Screens

Any Thoughts?

Reactions: RedX1

cooldude919

Sep 8, 2016
I bought one of the $349 systems from the server store via Ebay. Packaging was EXCELLENT, shipping was quick. They use the expanding foam bags to protect it. I have not racked this yet. The generic rack rails seem more than adequate, and heavy duty.

Last week I was gifted a Cisco ucsc-c240-m4sx. Which has 24x sff drives, and no PciE risers. Useless for me. But it did have 2x E5-2670V3s, and 16x 32GB SK-Hynix 2133 ram. This was a production server until the beginning of this year.

So, I robbed the Cisco, and put the processors and ram in to the SuperMicro.
It posted, but I got this message:
Failing DIMM: DIMM Location (uncorrectable memory component found) P1-DIMMB1. So I swapped some ram sticks around, and still get the same message. I also tried to set the ram at the correct 2133 speed vs 1867, but it's still stuck at 1867.

SuperMicro Screens

Any Thoughts?
I would check this thread, it has some good suggestions such as cleaning the CPU's. My 2680v4 is running fine at 2400mhz on latest bios, FWIW.

uton44

Aug 3, 2016
Would the cooling be suitable for a pair of Tesla M40s or one Tesla K80 . I'm looking for an affordable GPU specific server. I already have a pair of matched v3 Xeons. I was going to go with a Dell T7910, but the prices on those are insane on ebay. I was also looking at the HP z840. I have 3D printed shrouds and blower fans read in case of the T7910 or z840.

Thank You,

UT

cooldude919

Sep 8, 2016
Would the cooling be suitable for a pair of Tesla M40s or one Tesla K80 . I'm looking for an affordable GPU specific server. I already have a pair of matched v3 Xeons. I was going to go with a Dell T7910, but the prices on those are insane on ebay. I was also looking at the HP z840. I have 3D printed shrouds and blower fans read in case of the T7910 or z840.

Thank You,

UT
I mean it has the power connectors for it, so they expected folks to throw GPU's in there. Id venture to say you would have to keep the fan speed pretty high to get enough airflow out the back to keep them cool, so i would not want the thing in my living room!

uton44

Aug 3, 2016
I mean it has the power connectors for it, so they expected folks to throw GPU's in there. Id venture to say you would have to keep the fan speed pretty high to get enough airflow out the back to keep them cool, so i would not want the thing in my living room!
Well the server could have been designed for GPUs with active blower style cooling rather than passive cooling and as you have implied in your post, there may not be enough air flow to keep the passive GPUs cool, especially those that draw 250 - 350 watts per card.

cooldude919

Sep 8, 2016
Well the server could have been designed for GPUs with active blower style cooling rather than passive cooling and as you have implied in your post, there may not be enough air flow to keep the passive GPUs cool, especially those that draw 250 - 350 watts per card.
yea sorry im not familar with those cards, but id say the answer is no, looking at these links below.

BuellMule

May 30, 2020
Reactions: cooldude919

stewie0056

Dec 3, 2020
Glad to see this here! I wasn't a member of this forum earlier but I was the one who prompted the seller to put this on his eBay store.
ebay.PNG

Now I didn't just make this post to be smug ;) but I wanted to tell you that I did NOT buy this server because I found a still better deal (for me at least).

I originally wanted the bare server so I could buy and add my own CPU and RAM. I also already had several PCIe NICs so I was planning to just throw a 10G in a slot. But then came across the following listing that actually included roughly what I was looking for and at a cheaper price than I could piece together.

$600 - 6028U-TRTP+ 128GB 2133 (8x16GB), E5-2620 v3, and 2xSFP+

If I was to build this it would cost more or less $709 depending on deals at the time.
Server - $349
CPU - $40 (2*$20)
RAM - $320 (8*$40)

I'm not stoked about the CPU included but at $40 it still is cheaper just for the chassis/mobo and RAM. If you were planning on adding a 10G NIC then it might be a wash for the CPU cost since this chassis has two SFP+ onboard.

Now to anyone still interested in this listing, I will say this seller it terrible at shipping. First one arrived smashed and motherboard damaged. The second one arrived with the left ear (power button/LED cable) ripped off. The seller let me keep both for the price of one and I was able to swap parts make one complete server. I hope that after two shipping disasters they have learned to package it better, but YMMV.

Secondly the CPU included was not what was listed. I received a 2650 v3. I don't know if the person miswrote the 5 for a 2 in the listing but this is a $60 10 core compared to the $20 6 core I was expecting.
It actually preforms quite well for my workload so I am holding off on replacing them at the moment. Again YMMV on what CPU you receive.

abq

May 23, 2015
Hello All,

Has anyone seen power consumption measurements on this server? Ideally some idle, light, & full load measurements - with pair of E5 V4 CPUs and basic 8 sticks ECC memory? ...I think this could be ideal set-up for a modernized homelab setup;)

Thx Much,
ABQ

dbergrk

Nov 21, 2020
Do you just plan to do truenas and no vm's, dockers, or anything else? If so i would think that would be fine.

FWIW i had virtualized under vmware freenas/trunas on my previous natex dual e5-2670 build. The limited growth options pushed me towards unraid this time, i plan to buy the license soon, but so far it is working well. If you see a need to grow later, and dont need tons of raw read speed, id consider unraid as an option. I have a P3605 as the cache drive, which has like 8PB of write endurance, so i just have all my writes go to cache and run the mover once an hour, so writes are super fast. My content is media, so streaming that does not take crazy fast reads.
Thanks for the feedback! Definitely not set on Truenas yet, so I've been looking at unraid now too.

Quick question. I received my unit and noticed that the backplane uses mini-SAS connections which I don't have on the motherboard. Was it expected to buy some sort of PCI-e card to connect the HDDs to? Or am I missing something obvious?

stewie0056

Dec 3, 2020
Thanks for the feedback! Definitely not set on Truenas yet, so I've been looking at unraid now too.

Quick question. I received my unit and noticed that the backplane uses mini-SAS connections which I don't have on the motherboard. Was it expected to buy some sort of PCI-e card to connect the HDDs to? Or am I missing something obvious?
In my TRTP+ the backplane goes to the motherboard via a MiniSAS HD to right angle MiniSAS. This uses the onboard controllers and limits the backplane to 10 SATA drives. In order to get all 12 drives and/or SAS support an optional card is required. I would guess that your chassis was purchased with that optional card but when it was sold to you the card was removed.

SM lists compatible cards as the AOC-S3008L-L8e, AOC-S3008L-L8i , or AOC-S3108L-H8iR.
Others may work but I am hesitant to say so because I noticed there is additional wire along with the data cables. I am not sure of its purpose but maybe someone else can chime in.