LGA 4677?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
May want to remove the confidential markings before posting those.

Syr

Sep 10, 2017
LGA4677 has a considerably different layout though (See attached diagrams - src: diagrams on imgur extracted from TE's documentation).

Those extra pads (The smaller, circular ones) are not primary data or power pads, but are used for auxiliary/debug functionality, such as fine-grained input power tuning, QC, or debugging. Intel does not include those pads in the LGA designation - only the primary pads.
IF this is sapphire rapids, it could be a very early sample not designed for production use, or for a specialized platform, however I strongly suspect this is not the case.

Rather, I think its probable that this is one of the MCM cooperlake chips (up to 56c per socket on the whitley platform) that was supposed to launch early this year but were suddenly canceled. Other known examples of cooperlake ES chips have those extra pads, both on cedar & whitley. The attached photos are of a cedar isles platform cooperlake xeon ES that was delidded (src: bilibili user yuuki_ans via leak finder momomo_us on twitter). Note that it too has all those extra pads.

Attachments

Reactions: 111alan

111alan

Mar 11, 2019
Haerbing Institution of Technology
LGA4677 has a considerably different layout though (See attached diagrams - src: diagrams on imgur extracted from TE's documentation).

Those extra pads (The smaller, circular ones) are not primary data or power pads, but are used for auxiliary/debug functionality, such as fine-grained input power tuning, QC, or debugging. Intel does not include those pads in the LGA designation - only the primary pads.
IF this is sapphire rapids, it could be a very early sample not designed for production use, or for a specialized platform, however I strongly suspect this is not the case.

Rather, I think its probable that this is one of the MCM cooperlake chips (up to 56c per socket on the whitley platform) that was supposed to launch early this year but were suddenly canceled. Other known examples of cooperlake ES chips have those extra pads, both on cedar & whitley. The attached photos are of a cedar isles platform cooperlake xeon ES that was delidded (src: bilibili user yuuki_ans via leak finder momomo_us on twitter). Note that it too has all those extra pads.
Thought about this several days ago, forgot to update. The distance between dies are a little too long for an EMIB bridge. I remember CPX-AP isn't canceled though, rather it's an OEM-only config. Seems that Facebook is using this kind of things.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
IHS is clearly divided into two parts. There isn't a reason to create a gap right in the center to reduce thermal transfer if it's 1-die.
its not cooper lake(lga4189-5), its not sapphire rapids(lga4677).
it fits into a LGA4189-4 socket (ice lake)

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
strange mutant. or before intel decided to reduce ice lake for two sockets only.

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Looks so. Also just noticed the QDF starts with QT, maybe an Icelake ES1.
QTL1 is cooper. there are ice lake ES1 with QSxx(early 2019) and QUxx
i was wrong. seems intel made cooper for socket P4 first and changed later to P5.
QTQ2 = Cooper Lake-SP ES1, 32c(2x16C), 44M, 250W

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Never know why they have two different 4189 sockets. Think the reason may be UPI/PCI-e pin distribution.
first the sockets are same. at both cooper and ice should run in same motherboards.
but then Intel decided cooper for 4/8 sockets(PCIE3, 6 ch-mem) and ice(PCIE4, 8 ch-mem) only dual socket.
they are just separated by using two different cpu-carriers, black(P4) is for Ice Lake and gray(P5) for Cooper Lake.