Asrock X570D4U-2L2T Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WillTaillac

Feb 28, 2020
Yea that's a shame about the 16MB BIOS ROM on the X470D4U
Just a note, the 16MB limitation has been regarded as a scapegoat excuse given at the time, since there are X570 boards that shipped with 16MB BIOS chips. My personal workstation is an ASRock B450 Pro4, which also has a 16MB BIOS chip, and has already had its Ryzen 5000 supporting beta BIOS released.

Now that does not mean that ASRR will enable Vermeer on their X470 series boards, but I personally hope they do, especially given that, unlike most 400 series desktop boards, the X470D4U series does not officially support the first-gen 1000 series Ryzen chips, so dropping support for them (if they needed room in the BIOS rom) would not pose a compatibility problem for them.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I'm running the Samsung memory in my X470D4U at stock 2666. I'm now running some of the Kingston/Micron 3200 UDIMMs in my workstation (again at stock timings).

Yes, it seems the 16MB BIOS chip isn't a barrier; ASRock released updates supposedly enabling 5000-series chips for a bunch of their B450 boards a week or so ago, many of which use 16MB BIOS. Fingers crossed, but I suspect we're at least a couple of months away from seeing official X470 updates and six months or more for the X470D4U.

Shadowsong

Dec 3, 2019
I'm running the Samsung memory in my X470D4U at stock 2666. I'm now running some of the Kingston/Micron 3200 UDIMMs in my workstation (again at stock timings).

Yes, it seems the 16MB BIOS chip isn't a barrier; ASRock released updates supposedly enabling 5000-series chips for a bunch of their B450 boards a week or so ago, many of which use 16MB BIOS. Fingers crossed, but I suspect we're at least a couple of months away from seeing official X470 updates and six months or more for the X470D4U.
Did you have to do anything to get the memory to run at those speeds or did they run like that by default? Mine certainly didn't so trying to understand if I need to manually set the frequency/timings and if so in which areas of the BIOS etc....wish they had XMP profile equivalents!

Yea i think your right on the BIOS release for the X470D4U, but still worth keeping an eye on the beta bios section. Only by chance I saw the one for my X570 board.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Did you have to do anything to get the memory to run at those speeds or did they run like that by default? Mine certainly didn't so trying to understand if I need to manually set the frequency/timings and if so in which areas of the BIOS etc....wish they had XMP profile equivalents!
Nope, mine were just picked up and run at 2666 without any user intervention. Are you saying your don't run at that by default...?

XMP is pretty must just some memory overclocking presets; most standard memory not intended for overclocking will just list the typical JEDEC-rated speeds. All of these are typically stored on the DIMM SPD chip which is how the BIOS knows how to configure any given stick of RAM.

Shadowsong

Dec 3, 2019
Nope, mine were just picked up and run at 2666 without any user intervention. Are you saying your don't run at that by default...?

XMP is pretty must just some memory overclocking presets; most standard memory not intended for overclocking will just list the typical JEDEC-rated speeds. All of these are typically stored on the DIMM SPD chip which is how the BIOS knows how to configure any given stick of RAM.
Nope mine did not, however I have just been doing some more testing and now have the Memory and Infinity Fabric clock speed set at 1600Mhz and all seems well. I think I must have stupidly set it to 3200Mhz or something when I quickly tested before, not accounting for the DDR.

Next I will need to check the timings as they are on auto and I imagine are likely mis-aligned with their rated spec. Just waiting on a memory check to complete at the new speeds.

Reactions: ramblinreck47

Shadowsong

Dec 3, 2019
Quick update, all 128GB is running at the correct speed and the timings (on auto) do line up with the rated 22-22-22 so all looks good. Got a final extended mem check running to make 100% sure!

Reactions: ramblinreck47

zbyte

Oct 5, 2020
Just purchase one of these boards. I am intending to build a home server with a 5600X or 5800X running ESXi, one of the VM's will be a Truenas VM.
Apologies for the noobish questions.
  1. I was intending to use a boot M.2 SSD but I read that will take 4 lanes, plus 4 for the chipset leaves me 12 out of the total 24 lanes, would it be better to boot from a SATA drive to leave these lanes for another card if needed? or the lanes are allocated to the M.2 regardless?
  2. The 5600X doesn't have a APU/GPU? this board has onboard video correct?
  3. There are 8 SATA on board which is what I'm planning to use, the right angle cables needed for the stacked SATA which part number or where can I get these?
  4. planning to get it installed on a Fractal Node 804, instead of going with stock cooler possible better a Noctua for socket AM4 right?

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019
Just purchase one of these boards. I am intending to build a home server with a 5600X or 5800X running ESXi, one of the VM's will be a Truenas VM.
Apologies for the noobish questions.
  1. I was intending to use a boot M.2 SSD but I read that will take 4 lanes, plus 4 for the chipset leaves me 12 out of the total 24 lanes, would it be better to boot from a SATA drive to leave these lanes for another card if needed? or the lanes are allocated to the M.2 regardless?
  2. The 5600X doesn't have a APU/GPU? this board has onboard video correct?
  3. There are 8 SATA on board which is what I'm planning to use, the right angle cables needed for the stacked SATA which part number or where can I get these?
  4. planning to get it installed on a Fractal Node 804, instead of going with stock cooler possible better a Noctua for socket AM4 right?
1. A regular PCIE 3.0 x4 NVME drive will fit nicely in the one M.2 slot that comes from the X570 chipset and not the CPU. It won’t affect your CPU lanes but would take up about half your chipset bandwidth at full speed.
2. The BMC has a iKVM as well as a VGA output so a CPU with an iGPU isn’t necessary.
3. Just do a search on Amazon or Newegg...the SATA ports aren’t proprietary and shouldn’t need any special cables...just use some simple straight port ones
4. Noctua coolers will probably cool better and be quieter than the stock cooler but be aware that this motherboard has the backplate taped on...depending on which Noctua cooler you want, you may need to remove the backplate and that can be problematic if you’re not very careful...read the instruction manuals of the Noctua cooler you want to make sure it doesn’t require the removal of the backplate

zbyte

Oct 5, 2020
Thank you so much for the prompt reply, I think I'm good then, appreciate the help

Shadowsong

Dec 3, 2019
@zbyte if your interested here is my setup with the 5950X in 2U. Noctua across the board with fans, but I’ve left the built in Dynatron one so far as it’s pretty quiet. Have the option to use 2x 60mm Noctua in push pull if needed.

I also went on the side of caution and got a small fan for the X570 as it does run warm. Also added heatsinks to the M.2 drives as well to keep temps under control.

1806ED9C-7397-42AF-B6AB-FD79DDBE68E4.jpeg

zbyte

Oct 5, 2020
Thanks this is helpful, nice and neat, the 2 Noctuas's in the front are intake, the one in the back obviously exhaust, the one on the top/side I presume is exhaust correct? as you have enough pressure inside with the 2 intakes.
The Dynatron what you mean by "built-in"? it doesn't come with the chassis or the CPU right?
I'm surprised you did not go with Seasonic fanless....

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
Most Seasonic PSUs (especially high end like the Prime) will not kick the fan on until the load justifies it.

Shadowsong

Dec 3, 2019
Thanks this is helpful, nice and neat, the 2 Noctuas's in the front are intake, the one in the back obviously exhaust, the one on the top/side I presume is exhaust correct? as you have enough pressure inside with the 2 intakes.
The Dynatron what you mean by "built-in"? it doesn't come with the chassis or the CPU right?
I'm surprised you did not go with Seasonic fanless....
The front 3 fans are intakes and the rear 60mm and CPU fan will act as exhausts. After doing some testing it's what I found to be the best setup, the right hand side fan mainly assists in providing some cross flow towards the M2 Drives and X570. I meant the built in fan with the Dynatron, not the unit itself, it's that which i can swap out should it prove too loud.

As for the PSU, I purposefully didn't buy a fanless one. Better to have one and not need it than to be without :) As @Peanuthead said, It been running fanless for most of the testing i've been doing so far. I purchased a 750W PSU to ensure I had that overhead and off a recommendation from Seasonic directly.

lowlands

Nov 11, 2020
4. Noctua coolers will probably cool better and be quieter than the stock cooler but be aware that this motherboard has the backplate taped on...depending on which Noctua cooler you want, you may need to remove the backplate and that can be problematic if you’re not very careful...read the instruction manuals of the Noctua cooler you want to make sure it doesn’t require the removal of the backplate
I run the Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 on mine. The "special edition for AM4" version includes two sets of mounting brackets which allow you to turn the cooler 90 degrees and uses the stock backplate. A big plus with the X570D4U with the glued on backplate and as the CPU is rotated compared to most boards I have seen.

lowlands

Nov 11, 2020
I also went on the side of caution and got a small fan for the X570 as it does run warm. Also added heatsinks to the M.2 drives as well to keep temps under control.
What did you use to attach the fan to the chipset heatsink?

Shadowsong

Dec 3, 2019
What did you use to attach the fan to the chipset heatsink?
I just used a very thin layer of super glue. It just helps keep it in place, mainly so it doesn't move while i'm rack mounting it. Also it can be easily removed with minor force and no residue (on the heatsink). I had previously tried small sticky pads on another build, but they left a residue on the heatsink that was a pain to remove.

Obviously use at your own risk if you want to try it yourself, but it's served me well. Done the same on all 3 servers and removed and re-applied one to check the heatsink was all ok.

lowlands

Nov 11, 2020
I thought it would be something like that ;) What temps do you get on the chipset this way?

Shadowsong

Dec 3, 2019
I thought it would be something like that ;) What temps do you get on the chipset this way?
it dropped around 10 degrees from 65-55 but this was only brief observations and not under any load etc. It was more of a precaution as I know the X570 can run hot and often is actively cooled on desktop boards. For the cost of a small fan I thought it worth while :)

Ixian

Oct 26, 2018
I'm upgrading my Ubuntu NAS/Docker server to this board and a 3700x. I'm using OpenZFS for 8 10TB Red drives as my NAS storage and 2x Red SSDs for Dockers/OS. I also have an Intel PCIe 4x 3700p nvme that I have partitioned for caching and a SLOG for the ZFS array and finally a Quadro P2200 for Plex transcoding duties.

Given the slot sizes available (16x, 8x, and 1x) and overall bandwidth available I was thinking I'd put the P2200 in the 16x, and the Intel SSD in the 8x which would leave me short 2 sata ports.

I could get an M.2 to 4-port SATA adapter (Asrock docs list " optional M2-HD M.2" but no brand is specified, I can see a few on Amazon that might work) and do 4+4 for the ZFS array, or just put both SSDs on it, but I don't know how well that would work.

Otherwise I could use the 8x slot with an IT mode LSI card I have that would handle all 8 ZFS drives easily, however I'd have to ditch the Intel drive and find something that would work in one of the M.2 slots (Optane maybe).

Any recommendations on what might be best for this board?

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019
I could get an M.2 to 4-port SATA adapter (Asrock docs list " optional M2-HD M.2" but no brand is specified, I can see a few on Amazon that might work) and do 4+4 for the ZFS array, or just put both SSDs on it, but I don't know how well that would work.
They list the M2-HD in their 2020 catalog and if you want one, I'd contact them more about it.
Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 5.59.22 PM.png