US $192 ($190 BO) Great deal on a Quanta D51B-2U 2u Chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Hey guys. Finally received my CPU and RAM. Tried to boot the server but no response from the power button.

Strange blinking from the PSU. Is this normal?
Blinking is standby. Solid on is server powered up.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Blinking is standby. Solid on is server powered up.
So chances are it's a V4 CPU thing? There's completely no reaction to the power button being pressed.
Do I need to purchase a V3 to update BIOS? Can I update the BIOS with a single V3?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
That would be my guess.

No problem updating with a single v3.

filet187

Apr 17, 2016
Hey guys. Finally received my CPU and RAM. Tried to boot the server but no response from the power button.

Strange blinking from the PSU. Is this normal?
Do you have one processor installed?

I had the same symptom at 2 cpu until I updated the CPLD.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Do you have one processor installed?

I had the same symptom at 2 cpu until I updated the CPLD.
I have both CPUs installed and memory slots populated A0, B0, C0, D0, E0, F0.

Does anyone know if Quanta has the ability to update BIOS without a CPU? Looking around only turns up results for SuperMicro and their special license.

filet187

Apr 17, 2016
I have both CPUs installed and memory slots populated A0, B0, C0, D0, E0, F0.

Does anyone know if Quanta has the ability to update BIOS without a CPU? Looking around only turns up results for SuperMicro and their special license.
Have you tried to run with one cpu installed? For me, with one processor installed, the E5-2658 v4 started normally. Then I was able to update.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Have you tried to run with one cpu installed? For me, with one processor installed, the E5-2658 v4 started normally. Then I was able to update.
Holy shit you saved me from buying a CPU I don't need.
It's responding with 1 CPU. Man this thing is loud and annoying.

Reactions: Jaket and Fritz

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Do you know how I can find the BMC IP? I've tried the supposed default of 192.168.0.120 but it's not listening on there.
I'm assuming it's not supposed to display anything on the screen until I've updated the BIOS? Because the fans are spinning but I'm not seeing any output on VGA.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Well seems like I can't get into BMC. I don't think it's supposed to work without V3. I think I'll just have to get a throwaway V3. Unless someone in SG has a V3 I could borrow for a day?

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Got my V3 today, it's finally booting. I've managed to get into the web BMC as well. Which firmware should I be flashing? The only download I can find on the site is the S2B_3B04 but I'm seeing some of you guys running S2B_3B09. Where do I get that?

Also, what is the memory population order? A0, B0, C0, D0, E0, F0 won't boot.

Last edited:

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Ok so I removed the second CPU and it's spinning up again. Seems to be a memory slot issue. I swapped the CPUs and they both boot in single CPU mode so it's not the CPU.

Using A0, B0... H0 with CPU0 results in only slot 7 slot being populated in the GUI.

Edit: Second unit refuses to update the BIOS. Flasher managed to update BMC to 3.45.01 but the BIOS refuses to update even though it reports 100% completed. BIOS is stuck on S2B_3A17. BMC is working with V4 CPU and detects the CPU properly BUT it refuses to boot at all. Not sure what to do. Using the GUI to update BIOS shows it completes but BIOS version still reported as S2B_3A17.

Lost about what to do.

S2B_3B04 reports V4 CPU wrongly as Haswell-EP.

Edit: Found the links to the later BIOS versions from hyperscalers. Package only shows USB flash scripts. Is there a way to update this over OOB BMC or the web BMC like the V4 CPU package?

Also, how do you guys flash the CPLD?

Last edited:

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
Ok so I removed the second CPU and it's spinning up again. Seems to be a memory slot issue. I swapped the CPUs and they both boot in single CPU mode so it's not the CPU.

Using A0, B0... H0 with CPU0 results in only slot 7 slot being populated in the GUI.

Edit: Second unit refuses to update the BIOS. Flasher managed to update BMC to 3.45.01 but the BIOS refuses to update even though it reports 100% completed. BIOS is stuck on S2B_3A17. BMC is working with V4 CPU and detects the CPU properly BUT it refuses to boot at all. Not sure what to do. Using the GUI to update BIOS shows it completes but BIOS version still reported as S2B_3A17.

Lost about what to do.

S2B_3B04 reports V4 CPU wrongly as Haswell-EP.

Edit: Found the links to the later BIOS versions from hyperscalers. Package only shows USB flash scripts. Is there a way to update this over OOB BMC or the web BMC like the V4 CPU package?

Also, how do you guys flash the CPLD?
There are instructions in the V4 CPU zip on Quantas site that tells you how to do it.

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
How exactly do you update the backplane firmware? The download didn't have any instructions or executable file for doing it.
you can use storcli to do it. This video sorta describes it. Make SURE you use the right firmware, or you'll brick your backplane.

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
Well seems like I can't get into BMC. I don't think it's supposed to work without V3. I think I'll just have to get a throwaway V3. Unless someone in SG has a V3 I could borrow for a day?
where are you located?

josh

Oct 21, 2013
There are instructions in the V4 CPU zip on Quantas site that tells you how to do it.
I used the V4 update package but the BIOS refuses to update. I've tried using the web BMC, the .bat flash tool and even swapped around the BIOS section first like you suggested and they all show it was "completed" but it's still stuck on 3A17.
where are you located?
Singapore. I've bought the cheapest V3 chip on eBay already though.

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
I used the V4 update package but the BIOS refuses to update. I've tried using the web BMC, the .bat flash tool and even swapped around the BIOS section first like you suggested and they all show it was "completed" but it's still stuck on 3A17.

Singapore. I've bought the cheapest V3 chip on eBay already though.
singapore's a long way to go to loan a processor for 1 day :)

Inside the cpu zip there's a batch file, that updates the CPLD firmware, just comment out everything else and run that or just copy the command it runs to update the cpld firmware

josh

Oct 21, 2013
singapore's a long way to go to loan a processor for 1 day :)

Inside the cpu zip there's a batch file, that updates the CPLD firmware, just comment out everything else and run that or just copy the command it runs to update the cpld firmware
I tried it in this order earlier and it says it was completed but nothing changed.

Code:
@echo off
ECHO ***************************************************************************
ECHO WARNING!!!
ECHO           Please note that this important update will upgrade both BIOS
ECHO           and BMC, and will restart the system upon completion. 
ECHO           Any previous BIOS/BMC settings and configurations will be wiped out.
ECHO           Please agree to proceed.
ECHO ***************************************************************************

CHOICE /C YNC /M "Do you agree to continue??? Yes, No, or Cancel."
IF ERRORLEVEL 2 goto END
IF ERRORLEVEL 3 goto END
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 goto START

:START

set IP=%1
set USER=%2
set PASSWD=%3

REM : the following is the default BMC IP, user name and password.
if "%IP%" == "" set IP=192.168.0.120
if "%USER%" == "" set USER=admin
if "%PASSWD%" == "" set PASSWD=admin

if exist .\winflash\ERR.LOG (
    DEL .\winflash\ERR.LOG
)

REM :[ BIOS ]: it is to update BIOS fw
CALL .\winflash\biosfw_ip %IP% %USER% %PASSWD%
@echo off

REM :[ BIOS ]: it is to check update status
CALL .\winflash\checkstatus BIOSINFO

:END
@echo on
Do you mean I should add this back in before the BIOS section?

Code:
REM :[ SYS ]: it is to update system fw
@echo off
ECHO [ Info ]: Please wait a moment. it is getting system status.
CALL .\winflash\ucpld_ip %IP% %USER% %PASSWD%

@echo off

REM :[ SYS ]: it is to check update status
CALL .\winflash\checkstatus SYSINFO