Overclocked 128cores Epyc workstation WR cinebench r23, corona bench and randomX

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
hitting 100kh/s after some more fine tuning of clocks, hitting 2.78all core, set to 0.92v and 3.55 in oc tool. but reported voltage in ipmi is 0.88
powerdraw at socket 700w. vrm a few degrees hotter, def need those fans to get here!
XSplit.Core_halVeePcbt.png

Reactions: shamashii

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
hitting 100kh/s after some more fine tuning of clocks, hitting 2.78all core, set to 0.92v and 3.55 in oc tool. but reported voltage in ipmi is 0.88
powerdraw at socket 700w. vrm a few degrees hotter, def need those fans to get here!
View attachment 16394
ok, what are your bios settings ?? any cTDP and PPL/PPT limitations ?

how hot are your vrm's ?
is your mainboard installed in an open frame (mining frame) ??

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
high preset first then lowered voltage to 0.92/0.93 .1.05 gets out of control fast. change clocks. vrms 93ish nofan.
case in first post.
bios set a high tdp limit(dont think it mattered from auto, set it to like 300w+)

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
Thats a fit!
theres a 2nd one lower down, they are basically held there by the cpu sink nothing else heh.
DSC_0026.JPG

hit 100k Cinebench r23. pretty sure thats a first and another world record for now!
100k.png

Reactions: vkEnthusiast

BastianX10

Nov 9, 2020
Hello Bastian,

The Gigabyte MZ72-HB0 dual EPYC board is not released yet. The ETA is
February 2021,
and price is $850.

Shipping to Florida by FedEX Ground is $55.00 for this big main board.

Thank you,
Phil
Prowess Computing

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
hooked up an elmoor evc2sx to the motherboard for direct voltage control and more accurate readings its also able to raise OCP on the vrm, but so far i haven't had any luck hitting higher speeds(temps are fine), there seems to be some other limit not allowing it to draw over 280a per cpu, i guess iam already pushing the limits of the mb, with only 2 eps 8pin plugs.
16081633025DmvXPB0yY.png

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
DSC_0163~2.JPG
With covid not going anywhere i took the next step, will make an attempt to make a custom plate for the vrm(got a universal block just need a longass bottom plate to reach the mounting points) triple rads and 2 pumps.

Each cpu block is absurdly heavy literally 1kg each. Didn't dare to install them before mounting the motherboard to the case.

Reactions: Whaaat and Boris

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Good choice for the waterblock, also got a couple of them in use. The only alternative is basically the Optimus block, but it's much more expensive, I haven't seen any reliable tests of it vs the Watercool and it has an acrylic top cover which I always try to avoid...

Reactions: mirrormax

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
Small update: finally got the custom loop running, its hard to get parts these days and took months figuring out what to get and actually get it shipped.
And didn't really have the right tools or experience making a custom bottom plate for the vrm block, but figured it out and it works even though its not the prettiest thing. cools around 10c better than stock heatsink with 2x40mm fans blowing straight at it.

DSC_0214.JPG
DSC_0222.JPG
20210415_100837.JPG
still some work to do, ran out of the right fittings and maybe add a 3rd rad on the side.
Also testing out the ram heatsinks mostly for looks, but lowered temps around 3c wich is pretty good considering board is not designed for bottom/top airflow at all and i was worried it might have the opposite effect.

writerinserepeat

Jan 12, 2020
Love all the work you've done on this. I finally picked up my Gigabyte board back in January for my two 7702s. It's a nice board and set up but now I think I'm gonna sell the whole thing because...well...I never really ever use it! All my work has moved to MacOS, and this setup is a waste in a hacktinosh type setup with the 64 core limit. :rolleyes: Keep up the great work, Mirrormax.

Reactions: mirrormax

gabe-a

Sep 10, 2020
Wow, great work on this!!

the only caveat is for people planning 100% cpu usage with avx/fpu load on top where the vrm will overheat almost instantly and cause throttling/shutdowns, several users on here can verify this issue
Chiming in! My stupid SuperMicro-board-touting "mediaworkstations" rig still overheats regularly (but still can at least do some TDP-limited processing thanks to the help of forum gurus here). I do HPC work where it actually uses all 1-2TB of RAM as well as all the vector units on the 2x7742s.

My advice is to keep doing what you're doing and never throw in the towel and buy from the incompetent mini-companies online that "build" these into workstations (with underpowered fans pointed in the wrong direction! See my overheating thread for the painful details). This is terrific work that is clearly not possible for them even though they are charging for it and putting on the veneer of confidence. I can live vicariously through you and imagine what it would be like to have a fully-performant rig that works reliably. Then I can sit back and mull over how I ended up paying so much for a nerfed, loud, overheating rig that doesn't hold a candle to my awesome old whisper-quiet HP dual Xeon 8180 workstation (a Z8 G4).

BTW, a bit late to respond to this but, I really wish the 7742 allowed the user to just lower the cTDP and package TDP in the BIOS like the 7702 does.
h11dsi-nt rev.2 board with dual 7742 with cTDP and PPL set to 180 watt in bios
According to AMD's spec, the 7742 does not support lowered cTDP and package power limits. So setting this in the BIOS for that CPU should do nothing at all. Can you confirm it actually works?

Last edited:

BastianX10

Nov 9, 2020
Sorry for my English, what configuration do you have on your motherboard? Since I have the same motherboard and processor configuration, I am not very good at configuring the motherboard and I would like to optimize performance, I have reviewed the post where these processors are overclocked but since I use the computer as renderfarm I'm not sure if I use this tool, thank you very much.