Alibaba Cloud Registrar experience?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Hey guys,

Not sure where to post this as it doesn't seem to fit into any category.

Looking for the cheapest TLD so I can use let's encrypt for some home lab servers. I've looked around and Alibaba Cloud seems to have a ridiculous pricing of USD 6.8 for 10 years registration.

However, at the end of the day, it's still Alibaba and I'm skeptical about the reliability and privacy, especially whether they will hold the domain hostage in the future.

If anyone has any experience with them I'd appreciate some feedback. Will take other alternative suggestions as well.

Thanks!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I would love to hear experiences. I had no idea this existed.

Serverking

The quieter you are, the more you can hear...
Jan 6, 2019
I've looked around and Alibaba Cloud seems to have a ridiculous pricing of USD 6.8 for 10 years registration.
What TLD? If its a .com domain they are losing money. Wholesale price should be $7.85 USD.

wsuff

Aug 16, 2015
Saw them listed on TLD-List.com so interested to see any experiences. I found Porkbun cheap enough for .com/net/org that I haven't tried too many others. Also nice that tld-list does show promo codes since that seems to be a popular way to get new business. Sadly it's also worth considering total cost of registration if you plan on holding onto it since renewal rates can be quite expense compared to new registration.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Saw them listed on TLD-List.com so interested to see any experiences. I found Porkbun cheap enough for .com/net/org that I haven't tried too many others. Also nice that tld-list does show promo codes since that seems to be a popular way to get new business. Sadly it's also worth considering total cost of registration if you plan on holding onto it since renewal rates can be quite expense compared to new registration.
It's $6.80 total for 10 years. Pretty sure I'd have no use for it by then or they shutdown.
If you want cheap domains CloudFlare does DNS registration at cost without any markups.
What TLD? If its a .com domain they are losing money. Wholesale price should be $7.85 USD.
It's a China TLD (cyou). It's pretty dumb to type or pronounce but it's extreme value.

dreamsin

Oct 31, 2018
So continuing on the subject, what is the cheapest option for a 5 or 10 year domain?

josh

Oct 21, 2013
The .cyou is $0.68/y for 10 years. If you don't mind how ridiculous it sounds.

Serverking

The quieter you are, the more you can hear...
Jan 6, 2019
@josh Is there a list or site that lets you know about the cheapest 5 or 10 year domains?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I need to register a .io domain later the week or next and about the best I can find is namecheap at $30 a year. Ouch ! (Anybody know better or a reason not to use namecheap ?)

anyway noticed they had .online for $1.88 a year