Mergerfs Caching / Mover script

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Is anyone using Mergerfs with a caching (ie. two mergefs pools, one with fast storage disks as the first mount points, the second without the fast storage) that can talk a little bit about their mover script? I'm looking to store create a mergerfs pool that has a large (8TB) pool of fast disks in front of slower spinners and have data moved from the fast storage to the slower storage only when the fast storage used space reaches a certain % full (ie. 60%). But only move files modified X number of days ago.

Anyone doing anything like this?

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
Sounds complicated. Moosefs has a labeling function for different pools that can then move timed based automatically from one pool to another but I haven't tried it yet.

Magic8Ball

Nov 27, 2019
Isn't this just a standard file backup from one disk/pool to another? Presumably you could use any backup software rather than the custom scripts you linked to, which may give you more power and flexibiliy in defining how/when to to the backups?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Isn't this just a standard file backup from one disk/pool to another? Presumably you could use any backup software rather than the custom scripts you linked to, which may give you more power and flexibiliy in defining how/when to to the backups?
Technically yes. Have anything specific in mind?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
What do you currently use for backup jobs? I guess the best option is to keep things familiar and consistent rather than use lots of different solutions.
The problem with using a regular backup solution is that I'm not simply looking to move data from one pool to the other. If you read my OP, I'm looking to keep as much data on the cache pool as possible while moving older/less accessed files off of it. I'm not aware of any traditional backup solutions that can do this.