Sequel to the TinyMiniMicro series

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PMARC14

Nov 3, 2020
Hi ServeTheHome,

I am really enjoying your TinyMinyMicro series on all the mini desktops you can get as part of the regular corporate refreshes. What I was interested in was another series dealing with the often similar refreshes you see at schools and colleges that often see quite a lot of low cost computers getting thrown out or sold. These range from many different kinds of Chromebooks (and netbooks) to All in One computers. It seems like a big source of e-waste, and many of these computers are comparable in power to the raspberry pi. What I also thought was interesting was that at my school, most of these computers were stored in small cubbies on a cart, so I was wondering what it would be like to take these old (and likely broken) chromebooks and laptops which are usually all identical if you get them from one source and try to experiment with clustering them by harvesting the boards and putting them into a similar cubby as they used to be stored in. It may not be efficient, but it would be an interesting upcycling project.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@PMARC14 that is a cool concept. Between how full we are right now in 2020 and the holiday season, I think it is unlikely we will do it this year. At the same time, I do think there is a lot of value there.

PMARC14

Nov 3, 2020
@PMARC14 that is a cool concept. Between how full we are right now in 2020 and the holiday season, I think it is unlikely we will do it this year. At the same time, I do think there is a lot of value there.
I understand and I am excited to see all your new upcoming content, but just on the chromebook part. If you ever consider doing a video or series, a lot of the chromebooks/laptops I remember (my school used Acer C740's for a while) were all really low power machines, a dying breed of netbooks, which is a different breed from the modern chromebooks that get sold now which are very different which actually could be good to use used even years later. These earlier computers seem to be disappearing, so if you ever consider this as topic I would try and search these out, as compared to the much more modern computers. They bring a lot of nostalgia as one of the first computers I used, so seeing a second life would be interesting. Can't wait to see the rest of your 2020 content!

Reactions: Patrick