HP/PMC SA in whitebox

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

koisama

Oct 22, 2018
I spent a good amount of time trying to boot from a drive connected to H240 in HBA mode. No luck.

Server in question is Supermicro X9DRi-F in CSE846 with an expander backplane. Getting into card bios turned out to be impossible. If oprom is enabled, initialization errors out with the usual "Found 0 logical drives" message. Updating firmware from 6.60 to 7.00, switching around legacy and uefi boot modes, clearing configuration and putting it into raid mode and back to hba did not help. It's worth mentioning that ssacli reports incorrect physical drive information - I get the correct number of entries, but data in all of them is the same. It changes when I pull the drive which data is displayed.
The real dealbreaker for me is the lack of hotplug - drives are only detected on boot.

Meanwhile it just works in dl380g6.

lte

Apr 13, 2020
DE
Wanted to quickly add my experinces with Gen8+ Adapters:
Independant of their actual performance, the HP/HPE adapters are usually my first choice for a local RAID1 ESXi datastore, as they are still (in case of the P420) on the HCL and considerably cheaper than the alternative LSI3108 controllers.

P420:
Work generally well in Supermicro systems, but not servers of different OEMs. Required BIOS boot to get the SSA live image working

H240:
Works well within Supermicro and other OEM systems (worked in both Lenovo and Dell Servers for me), however I only use it as datastore, not to provide a bootable vdisk. Largest downside: card requires a PCIe x4 slot, card refuses to initlize with an electrical PCIe x1

E208i-p:
Currently my go to RAID1 adapter, works in both UEFI and BIOS mode throughout SuperMicro and OEM systems, also works from a PCIe x1 slot. Guess the result of the increased interoperability efforts of Microsemi

Last edited:

Whaaat

Jan 31, 2020
H240:
Largest downside: card requires a PCIe x4 slot, card refuses to initlize with an electrical PCIe x1
You are wrong, this card works perfectly in PCIe x1, I often use H240 in HBA mode to reformat various 528-byte per sector drives, and the card is plugged into the PCIe x1 via flexible riser

Whaaat

Jan 31, 2020
I assume the one you got has supplemental power (i.e. gets a 4pin molex or something) ?
No, it simply connects all the pins of the connector without any additives, consumer boards rarely have open ended x1 slots

leon_pro

Nov 3, 2017
Largest downside: card requires a PCIe x4 slot, card refuses to initlize with an electrical PCIe x1
Some motherboards do not detect cards if PRSNT Pci-e pin(s) not configured for x1 link.
As I remember, if PRSNT#1 and PRSNT#2 pins are connected then card should be detected in Pci-e x1.
See Pci-e pinout.

toddbailey

Jul 23, 2023
I have a hp z840 workstation, when i plug in a hp sa-p822 array controller the pc wont boot to os or from a optical disk. Any ideas

rsumperl

May 18, 2017
I’m using the P840 on an Intel S2600STBR server board, no issues.
I have also used the Dell H740P and H750P with no issues.