AsrockRack x570d4i-2T

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gyik

Jun 13, 2020
Got the board finally, but only with 4x16 kingston 2400 ecc. The rest almost remained the same, 3700x and a 480 gb kingston datacenter nvme and 2x16tb ironwolf pros. Building a box to replace my current truenas box (3400g, 16gb non ecc, and 2x6tb wd red).
Want to use proxmox with one ubuntu vm (pihol, max 2 cores, and 2gb ram) and truenas (i keep the 8 cores I think). How much ram should I give to truenas? The 2 ironwolfs will be used only for truenas. Truenas has 2 plugins only transmission and plex. I am thinkning to give 8 cores and 32-48gb (?) ram to truenas.
What do you think?
Thanks

3nodeproblem

Jun 28, 2020
I may be completely stupid here, but I really can't figure out how I'm supposed to power this thing once I got my hands on it :/

Got one of these PSUs: 玄人志向 | KRPW-L4-400W:ATX電源 400W

I can get it to power up into IPMI (and log in to IPMI over the network). It recognizes the CPU (3600) but I can't power up further than that - no video out, no BIOS, no video out over VGA...
AsrockRACK did send me a newer user manual and I connected both ATX4PIN1 (using adapter) and ATX12V2 (12v/ground according to pinout). Do I need to buy a new PSU before trying further or does anyone have any insight on how to hook it up? Or could it be something as silly as RAM incompatability (1xCorsair M471A4G43AB1-CWE 32GB DDR4-3200 SODIMM) - the spec does list other 3200 modules as compatible but not this particular model?

I'll probably send it in for RMA if nothing else comes up.

Last edited:

nasi

Feb 25, 2020
I've got the Epyc3251 Mainboard but I guess AsrockRack is using the same IPMI on both. So I hope I can help anyway.

What happens when you go to "Power Control", choose Power On and press "Perform Action"?
What happens when you go to "Remote Control" -> "Launch KVM" and press the power button in upper right corner?

3nodeproblem

Jun 28, 2020
@nasi

"Power Control": Retries a couple of times before yielding an error message
KVM: Display stays empty, powering on has no effect
Shorting the power switch pin on the board: CPU fan spins up for a couple of seconds and then stops, full power cycle required to make it happen again.

nasi

Feb 25, 2020
That's strange.
You've got any other RAM stick to test with? Or try to boot without RAM and see if something changes like the error message.
I'm not sure if this behavior is explainable from a bad PSU. Do you have a lot of other stuff connected like a big harddisk array or GPU which may draw to much power when booting? I can't imagine that your PSU is so bad that it fails when starting just Board+CPU.

3nodeproblem

Jun 28, 2020
That's strange.
You've got any other RAM stick to test with? Or try to boot without RAM and see if something changes like the error message.
I'm not sure if this behavior is explainable from a bad PSU. Do you have a lot of other stuff connected like a big harddisk array or GPU which may draw to much power when booting? I can't imagine that your PSU is so bad that it fails when starting just Board+CPU.
Nope, just an NVMe - no other RAM but this one's confirmed to work in another machine. Same with/without either. Looks like I'll have to send it in ;(

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
i needed to use both the 24pin atx (with the special 24 to 4 pin converter cable) and an 8pin eps before the board would properly power up. I couldn't tell from your psu link if that psu had an 8pin eps cable.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
One other thing I had read elsewhere is that it needs a 40a 12v rail on the psu to work. Not sure if that is true or not but might be worth trying another psu to see

3nodeproblem

Jun 28, 2020
One other thing I had read elsewhere is that it needs a 40a 12v rail on the psu to work. Not sure if that is true or not but might be worth trying another psu to see
I was just about to hit the button to purchase a 33A one to try, so thank you :)

If that is indeed the case it's weird not to be mentioned in any documentation, especially being SFF. I don't suppose you have a link to that conversation?

EDIT: May be the PSU: AsRock Rack X570D4I-2T Mini-ITX Server Motherboard AM4 PGA 1331 X570 AMD Ryzen 3rd Generation Series Processors - Newegg.com

> They use a 24pin to 4 pin motherboard power and you NEED to have a powersupply that can at least do 40 amps on the +12v to make the motherboard boots! that will leave a lot of lower powered SFX/ Flex ATX power supply out, a 850W power-supply can usually supply 70A on +12V, but a 400W can maybe do 30, the lowest I tested are 500W @ 24A+24A and it boots, a 400W 28A on the +12V fails to boot but IPMI is able to run.

This could be it. Which is odd, considering this fellow seems to be fine with 300W PSUs: https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeServer/comments/j7zxc1

Last edited:

3nodeproblem

Jun 28, 2020
A new PSU (Silverstone ST45SF-G, 37A on the +12v) did the trick. But turns out the review I linked was correct on it being picky with RAM as well - memtest is failing with sticks that work fine in other machines and OS install randomly freezes. Fingers crossed that the Nemix RAM I ordered works better, otherwise I have no idea where to possibly source 32GB DDR4 ECC SODIMMs...

Last edited:

3nodeproblem

Jun 28, 2020
If anyone else is having memory issues: My system was very unstable with a pair of M471A4G43AB1-CWE. Putting it behind a UPS improved the situation significantly, so it seems this board is very sensitive to electricity voltage/frequency fluctuations. Still got some errors after 6h in memtest86, which did not reappear after reducing the memory frequency to 2400MHz. I have a feeling it might be possible to get it stable at higher frequencies by tweaking memory voltage in BIOS but I don't feel brave and patient enough to fiddle around with that right now.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
My understanding is that the ECC functionality is working, but you have no visibility into it; you can not figure out if any errors have been corrected, right?
Depends on what you mean by visibility; if my X470D4U is anything to go by, ASRR's IPMI implementation doesn't report ECC errors correctly, but they're visible in userspace tools like edac-util (assuming you're using a relatively recent 5.x series kernel):
Code:
root@wug:~# lscpu|grep name
Model name:          AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor
root@wug:~# edac-util -v
mc0: 0 Uncorrected Errors with no DIMM info
mc0: 0 Corrected Errors with no DIMM info
mc0: csrow2: 0 Uncorrected Errors
mc0: csrow2: mc#0csrow#2channel#0: 0 Corrected Errors
mc0: csrow2: mc#0csrow#2channel#1: 0 Corrected Errors
mc0: csrow3: 0 Uncorrected Errors
mc0: csrow3: mc#0csrow#3channel#0: 0 Corrected Errors
mc0: csrow3: mc#0csrow#3channel#1: 0 Corrected Errors
edac-util: No errors to report.

3nodeproblem

Jun 28, 2020
Depends on what you mean by visibility; if my X470D4U is anything to go by, ASRR's IPMI implementation doesn't report ECC errors correctly, but they're visible in userspace tools like edac-util (assuming you're using a relatively recent 5.x series kernel)
That's conflicting with what I heard from others but promising! Looking forward for my NEMIX sticks to arrive to see if it's the same here.

Last edited:

3nodeproblem

Jun 28, 2020
On the CPU cooling, I have two different ones running (both currently in the open without any case). Maybe it helps someone.

Noctua NH-U12S: Covered by others and a pretty safe bet. As long as you get the version with the Intel mounts. I heard others unglued the mounting plate to fit it with AM4 parts, but I went the other route:
Get 4 m3 screws with nuts and screw them in through the backplate from underneath. The Noctua plastic spacers can then be fastened on those and the rest of the mounting is according to the manual. There were three different standoff sets with very slightly different height and I was not sure if the AM4 or Intel ones were the best fit but went with the back ones.
This cooler was quite a nerve-wrecking ordeal to fasten for me (I don't think that part is particular for the X570D4I, though), but once put on it sits snug. RAM and PCIe slots are really close, but all are clear without unmounting. I dread the day I have to remove this cooler. CPU is cool and happy without the fan spinning up notably, but other components run hot and I need to point a separate fan at it even without a case.

Scythe Choten aka SCCT-1000: Comes with stupid snap-on feet that have to be removed, and likely to break in the process. I used the same strategy as for the NH-U12S (m3 screws through the board). The distance after that is way off, though - the Noctua standoffs are several mm too tall and without is too short. Maybe one can replace the brackets with other ones. Instead I got some spongy M4 foam spacers from the hardware store that I cut to size, threaded onto the M3 screws, and sandwiched between plastic M4 spacers and the cooler brackets, fastening it with bolts. Also a bit of an anxious installation since it's hard to tell if you tighten it too much or too little.

I just installed it yesterday and it seems to work fine. Since it's a top-down cooler, it also blows down air on the other hot-running parts, like the X570 chipset. Plenty of clearance for RAM. A full-size PCIe card will just about fit, but only if there are no components or heatsinks on the side facing the cooler.

My testing hasn't been rigorous yet, but so far the SCCT-1000 seems like a much better choice for this mobo than the NH-U12S - it's significantly cheaper, takes up less volume, isn't notably noisier (if at all?) under load and gets airflow for other components as well.

I read in comments that the Noctua DH-L9i should fit as well, but at that price I didn't want to take any chances since I'm not clear on if it blocks the closes RAM slot or not.

3nodeproblem

Jun 28, 2020
Officially this board only supports 2400MHz RAM when running with multiple ECC modules, which is also the clock I got by default.

I got these sticks: https://nemixram.com/32gb-ddr4-2933-pc4-23400-ecc-sodimm-2rx8-memory-by-nemix-ram/

Been running a memtest86 on 2933MHz for 6h+ now with no errors so far but I'll let it run a bit longer just to be sure.

EDIT: ECC errors were induced around the 25h mark. Clocking down to 2666 MHz seems stable but will run another extended memtest at a later point to be sure.

Last edited:

wazoo42

Apr 13, 2016
For the Epyc3251 and 3451, does anybody have measurements of the mobo mounting holes?

I designed aluminum brackets for the X10SDV and X11SDV Supermicro boards (so I can use Noctua L12S cooler) and am wondering if they would work on Asrock's Epyc3x51 series.

Reactions: tabish121