Help! ConnectX-4 Lx Not Working in Windows 10

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CPJMMXIII

Oct 13, 2020
Manchester
I'm having major issues with getting windows 10 version 2004 to work with my ConnectX-4 Lx EN Mellanox NIC and would appreciate any help you could provide to get this card working on my gaming rig!

Running windows 10 pro, version 2004.

Updated FW on card with mlxconfig.

Installed latest OFED2 drivers from Mellanox.

Device Manager reports:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}

The requested operation was unsuccessful.

What can I do to make this work?

Hardware - ASUS formula XI mobo, i9-9900K, 2080TI SLI

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

koifish59

Sep 30, 2020
I have that NIC on win10 and it works fine.

Which motherboard slot did you plug it into? Make sure the slot has at least 8x lanes and the lanes aren't shared with any nvme m.2 slots.

CPJMMXIII

Oct 13, 2020
Manchester
I have that NIC on win10 and it works fine.

Which motherboard slot did you plug it into? Make sure the slot has at least 8x lanes and the lanes aren't shared with any nvme m.2 slots.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
I think this is something I may have overlooked.

I’ve got it slotted into the bottom PCIE lane on the motherboard. There’s x2 2080Ti in the computer and two NVME SSDs slotted into the motherboard as well.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
how much ram is in the system? and have you tried removing one of the video cards?

Chris

koifish59

Sep 30, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
I think this is something I may have overlooked.

I’ve got it slotted into the bottom PCIE lane on the motherboard. There’s x2 2080Ti in the computer and two NVME SSDs slotted into the motherboard as well.
Ah you have two GPUs in SLI. I already know this won't work with the NIC because a Z390 platform only has 24 pci-e lanes total. SLI GPUs will already take up 16x, leaving you with only 8x lanes for EVERYTHING else. The NIC requires the full 8x, but then you also have SATA/NVMe taking up lanes too.

And just to make sure, I looked at the manual for your motherboard. The first two PCI-e 16x slots will run at 8x when you have 2 GPUs, the 3rd slot which you plugged in the NIC only runs at 2x (assuming u have storage plugged too) even though it's a physical full 16x slot. So no matter which way you look at it, you setup won't work.

necr

Dec 27, 2017
Hmm, for me a PCIe x1 from PCH and a CX3 works fine. Defeating the purpose of a high-speed interconnect, of course.