Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
looks like bad flash, but you can try re-flashing the firmware from the bootloader and see if that fixes it:

Code:
#plug the management ethernet port into your network
#drop into the bootloader
#give the switch a temporary IP

setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.50
setenv netmask 255.255.255.0

#tell the switch the IP of your tftp server:
setenv serverip 192.168.1.51

#tell it the name of the OS firmware file:
setenv image_name  SPR08080e.bin

#tell it name of bootloaader file:
setenv uboot  mnz10114.bin

#flash the OS:
update_primary

#when that's done flash a new bootloader:
update_uboot

#when everything is done reboot the switch then follow the regular guide:
reset

Reactions: tommybackeast

Freebsd1976

Feb 23, 2018
looks like bad flash, but you can try re-flashing the firmware from the bootloader and see if that fixes it:

Code:
#plug the management ethernet port into your network
#drop into the bootloader
#give the switch a temporary IP

setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.50
setenv netmask 255.255.255.0

#tell the switch the IP of your tftp server:
setenv serverip 192.168.1.51

#tell it the name of the OS firmware file:
setenv image_name  SPR08080e.bin

#tell it name of bootloaader file:
setenv uboot  mnz10114.bin

#flash the OS:
update_primary

#when that's done flash a new bootloader:
update_uboot

#when everything is done reboot the switch then follow the regular guide:
reset
thanks , try and failed , seems nand dead

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
There are some NAND commands to erase the chip and even reset the bad block list (scrub). Seems like you haven't got anything to lose at this point. But since it's a timeout error, the chip might very well be completely dead.

safado

Aug 21, 2020
It's a bit of a mystery what the difference is but since FS says the 80m will not work on Cat5e and needs Cat6a my guess would be it is just receive sensitivity and maybe more efficient chip set with lower power consumption to output. The extra shielding on the Cat6a would provide a cleaner signal over distance with the same amount of power. I have read multiple people say that they are compatible with each other as long as you do not exceed the shortest length so you can use a 30m at one end and 50m, 80m or 100m at the other as long as your cable does not exceed 30m. That tells me it is the same frequency and pairs.
Thanks! I’m not sure why either but I’m getting rock solid 10gb performance on my CAT5e cable and pushing my cache drive to the limits. No complaints here!

pod

Mar 31, 2020
Maybe a stupid question but I’m curious and will ask anyway for the sake of learning.

I initially tried some FS transceivers for a 10gBase-T to my workstation over a ~30-50m CAT5e run and it didn’t work. Before deciding to order a spool of Cat6a and add a run I saw they had a 50m (which i ordered) and then saw a 80m model. Took a shot at it working before dropping 250 on a spool and to my surprise it works perfectly. Getting 600mbps transfers to my NAS.

My question is what makes the 50m vs 80m transceiver work? Better build quality or does the 80m utilize more power? They look identical to me—just curious how this works? Thank you for the knowledge!
The 80 meter cat 6a only part is ~2.5 watt power. The cat 5e+ version is ~3 watt max. Spec sheets are on their site for each.

Reactions: safado

safado

Aug 21, 2020
The 80 meter cat 6a only part is ~2.5 watt power. The cat 5e+ version is ~3 watt max. Spec sheets are on their site for each.
Yeah I just looked more closely and see it (missed it before). Still shocked it’s working over Cat5e and performing remarkably well! Thanks!

acpatel

Sep 8, 2020
OK. I've been through the thread and can't find an answer. I apologize if I've missed it.
What breakout cables do you use for the QSFP+ ports if you are running singlemode fiber? I see fiber channel ones used, I see mention of 850nm, but can't find any mention of single mode breakout cables.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
I'm expecting a couple of 7250-24 tomorrow or friday for home lab, and trying to plan the setup to stack them. I'm having trouble finding an explanation as to how to do that. I've read that I can use a 2-node ring or linear, and it doesn't seem to matter (I've got 4 twinax cables to use). What has me confused is whether I need to set up a stack trunk, or if it's 'good enough' to just connect the appropriate ports, and run the stack setup wizard. Any de-confusion much appreciated :)

Frnot

Sep 23, 2020
I've just recently acquired a ICX 6450-48 and it seems the one fan never spins down.

Running the command "dm fan-speed" results in:
Code:
All fans in Low speed (0xff)
Which leads me to believe "low" speed is 100%. Is this normal?
This occurred before and after I upgraded the firmware as directed in the OP.

I've unplugged the fan and the temps are rising very slowly (about 61.5C now). I hope it'll level off soon, this would make a cool fanless switch.

Jason Antes

Feb 28, 2020
Twin Cities
OK. I've been through the thread and can't find an answer. I apologize if I've missed it.
What breakout cables do you use for the QSFP+ ports if you are running singlemode fiber? I see fiber channel ones used, I see mention of 850nm, but can't find any mention of single mode breakout cables.
mtp to os2?
Would need to know what connector is on the QSFP. Ones from Brocade that I have are MTP. I've seen some with LC.

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
noob question re hitting the B key (during firmware flash of new switch)

Switch: Brocade 7150-c12p ; using factory console cable plugged into ancient laptop's serial port.

I am trying to follow instructions and pound-the-b-key while inserting power cord in the 7150; and it keeps booting into the OS and not the boot menu I am expected (per instructions).

I also recall a year ago having similiar problems hitting-the-b-key with a 7250.

in short, wtf am I doing wrong? (or what is the precisely anal method for "pound-the-b-key" and insertion of power cord.

Sign me, Feeling Stupid

ICXGURU

Jun 22, 2020
noob question re hitting the B key (during firmware flash of new switch)

Switch: Brocade 7150-c12p ; using factory console cable plugged into ancient laptop's serial port.

I am trying to follow instructions and pound-the-b-key while inserting power cord in the 7150; and it keeps booting into the OS and not the boot menu I am expected (per instructions).

I also recall a year ago having similiar problems hitting-the-b-key with a 7250.

in short, wtf am I doing wrong? (or what is the precisely anal method for "pound-the-b-key" and insertion of power cord.

Sign me, Feeling Stupid
hit b a bunch of times in the first 5-10 seconds of booting not just when you connect the power. Make sure your console settings are 9600 8-none-1-none. The no flow control is important.

Reactions: tommybackeast

ICXGURU

Jun 22, 2020
I'm expecting a couple of 7250-24 tomorrow or friday for home lab, and trying to plan the setup to stack them. I'm having trouble finding an explanation as to how to do that. I've read that I can use a 2-node ring or linear, and it doesn't seem to matter (I've got 4 twinax cables to use). What has me confused is whether I need to set up a stack trunk, or if it's 'good enough' to just connect the appropriate ports, and run the stack setup wizard. Any de-confusion much appreciated :)
It does make a big difference in a two node stack if you run ring or linear and 2-node should always be linear. This is the only time you should ever run linear stacks. What you want to do is run version of 8.0.90 or newer (8.092b is solid for me) then follow the RUCKUS FastIron Stacking Configuration Guide under the section "'Building a Two-unit Stack with a Linear-topology Trunk Using Stack Interactive-setup". The example in the guide is a pair of 7250. Make sure you have the 10gig licenses added first and interfaces configured for 10gig.

ICXGURU

Jun 22, 2020
If you actually want to breakout to 4x10g this is probably what you want but it is very expensive.
E40G-QSFP-LR4-INT40GBASE-LR4 QSFP+ to 4 SFP+ optic (LC), for up to 10 km over SMF

Reactions: acpatel

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
It does make a big difference in a two node stack if you run ring or linear and 2-node should always be linear. This is the only time you should ever run linear stacks. What you want to do is run version of 8.0.90 or newer (8.092b is solid for me) then follow the RUCKUS FastIron Stacking Configuration Guide under the section "'Building a Two-unit Stack with a Linear-topology Trunk Using Stack Interactive-setup". The example in the guide is a pair of 7250. Make sure you have the 10gig licenses added first and interfaces configured for 10gig.
thanks!

Reactions: ICXGURU

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
Reactions: acpatel

ICXGURU

Jun 22, 2020
40G QSFP+ Breakout Active Optical Cables (AOC) and 40G QSFP+ to SFP+ Breakout DAC Cables are a good place to start looking. ICX will take practically any module and FS can code it for Brocade anyway.

I've been looking at doing a very short AOC breakout to a patch panel.
OP was asking about single mode so I would guess the distance is more than a few meters.
The cheaper alternative to a breakout cable is likely to add another switch with 40gig QSFP and 10gig SFP+. Run a short 40gig DAC from existing switch to new (could be 7450, 7650, 7750, 7850) then use 10Gig SFP+ optics from there.

Reactions: Jason Antes