On ebay: Quanta 48p GbE + 2x 10GbE L3 switch @ 289USD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ewheelerinc

Jan 25, 2014
It looks like the biggest stumbling block to running Indigo on the LB4m is the lack of U-Boot.

The flash image (lb4m_flash_0) does contain the bootloader, so if someone knows how to splice this flash properly we can replace it with U-Boot.

I've uploaded my flash rips here:
http://www.globallinuxsecurity.pro/src/quanta-lb4m/

If you have an LB4m that boots using U-Boot, then please contact me. I would like to have a copy of your flash image.

You can copy your flash image from the cisco-like console over tftp:
copy nvram:flash tftp://1.2.3.4/foo/

Also it might be a good idea to start collecting different lb4m build flash images. Copy your nvram:image1 and nvram:image2 out as well and open the file with less (or whatever you view files with). Its binary, but toward the top you'll have a string like these:

RELEASE_CUST_HUSKY_LB4M_REL1_0_2_13B_1.0.2.14-Ent-esw-xgs3-LB4M-dni8541-VSM-QHr1v0m2b14.opr
H-GNS-Ent-esw-lb4m-qc8541-V66S-CS-QHr1v1m0b8.opr

These are the original filenames of the images flashed to the device. Some may have different features than others and it would be great to build a repository of what is available in the wild.

Reactions: rEd2k

ben

Jan 21, 2014
I was able to purchase 2 for $150 each + $18 shipping!

But I'm quickly finding I'm out of my league here, I don't understand 1/2 of what you guys are saying about installing Indigo firmware but I don't think I need that.

How do I access the web-interface? I'm guessing its through the Management port as that is the only port my computer will link with. but what is the IP address?

Sadly I don't own a serial to rj-45 cable to connect to the console port...

Any advice would be awesome!

Thank you!

Tbg-NET

Jan 16, 2014
How do I access the web-interface? I'm guessing its through the Management port as that is the only port my computer will link with. but what is the IP address?

Thank you!
This switch has dhcp-client. So connect it to any router with dhcp-server and see what address it gets

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I was able to purchase 2 for $150 each + $18 shipping!

But I'm quickly finding I'm out of my league here, I don't understand 1/2 of what you guys are saying about installing Indigo firmware but I don't think I need that.

Sadly I don't own a serial to rj-45 cable to connect to the console port...

Any advice would be awesome!

Thank you!
Ben, did you make any progress on this? I am considering purchasing one or two.

iugoideas

Feb 9, 2014
I just picked up 3 of these off ebay. Good to find some dialog about these as there's not much info out there on these. I'll post findings when they arrive.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Ok I am in for one too. Why not at $205 not a ton of downside and cheaper than the HP V1910-24G's.

iugoideas

Feb 9, 2014
manual pdf

the pdf manual for this beast.

Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/dpbe0r0i0euxgg8/LB4M.pdf

iugoideas

Feb 9, 2014
Here are a few pix of one of the LB4M's I ordered from an Omaha, NE eBay seller outfit brandon-nettech to clarify, these are not from the seller linked in the first post, if that matters to anyone. Mine listed at $205 + free shipping but I got a few bucks off since I got three. The 55 pound box that the three LB4M's arrived in was very well packed - with bubble wrapped and packed tightly in styrofoam peanuts.

It seems these units are very serviceable. Only two phillips screws to take the top lid off and 5 to remove the daughter card.

Last edited:

Martin2341

Feb 11, 2014
Nice pics iugoideas. I'm sure I'm just stating the obvious here but contrary to what the link says, these are not Brocade (or Foundry) switches.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
GREAT PICS!

Hey - reading through here. Is this time to create a new thread instead of having a deal thread / about the LB4M all in one thread? Seems confusing to me?!?

jingjing

Banned
Nov 23, 2013
I'm also very curious to know if it will actually do line speed on all ports, and what the stability is like.

brocko

Feb 21, 2014
I snagged one of these off eBay last week and so far it's working quite well. No problem getting 10G transfers using Solarflare NICs and Cisco SFP cables (no SFP+ modules needed, yay :D ). I'm not sure where you got that 281W at idle figure. Mine has dual power supplies and pulls about 80W (confirmed using Kill-a-watt). Granted that's with only three devices plugged in, but still...

So far the only disappointing thing about this switch is that, as configured, it definitely is not a layer 3 switch. It's a layer 2 managed switch. Default username is admin. Uses a standard serial cable for the console port. The command line interface isn't bad - if you've used Cisco switches or similar before, it's pretty much self-explanatory. Once I had the network settings configured (why someone would want to DHCP their switch IP by default is beyond me :confused: ), I was able to pull up a basic GUI using the built-in web server (even without having Java installed on my machine).

All-in-all, for the $250 I paid, to get two working SFP+ 10G ports and 48 gigabit ports, all in a managed switch with all of the expected layer 2 features (vlan, qos, spanning-tree, port security, etc.), redundant PS ... definitely one of the better finds on eBay, IMO. Would I trust it in an enterprise environment? Probably not, but I guess we'll see how stable it is once I replace my aging Cisco switch with it and start pushing more data through it. ;)

l8r)

Can you give me instructions on how you actually got into the switch? I cannot find the IP configuration anywhere in the config. When I look at the ip section of the cmd line I see a dhcp server and that's about it. I'm looking for how to get the management port on an IP so I can actually GUI into this thing. Thanks

jingjing

Banned
Nov 23, 2013
I'm not sure where you got that 281W at idle figure. Mine has dual power supplies and pulls about 80W (confirmed using Kill-a-watt). Granted that's with only three devices plugged in, but still...