Finally: Overclocking EPYC Rome ES

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

akkk44

Mar 27, 2018
Hi, for ZS1406 sample , I got best results (perfomance per watt) with PBO hack , voltage set to 0.9v and freq to 3.2GHz with full load power consumption
of about 270W , C20 score of 19600 . Hi Pot testing right now for 7 days.
Could you tell me which motherboard you are using?I am also very interested about how to get a ZS1406 run at a clock speed this high.

Lucahk

May 13, 2020
[...]
when i run monero with 16 dimms i get around 74-75 kh/s.
when run monero with 8 dimms i get around
33-34 kh/s

so, the count of dimms has big impact on monero (note: not the size of dimms, but the amount of dimms)
Hi.
Just out of curiosity I tried to mine Monero today. With your same number of threads, I am getting around 55 kh/s
I have 16 dimms installed.

Can I ask you if there is any parameter required to obtain a higher hash count?

Thanks,

Luca.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
yes, there is. and that is tweaking your bios.

i am in the middle of tweaking, takes couple of days because my system is at my work. so i can tweak when i am at work (monday till thursday). right now i get now around 79-81 kh/s.
my settings rigth now:
cTDP/PPL = 180 Watt (to keep VRM-temps under 90°C)
APBDIS = auto (this is where you tweak IF, or Data Fabric)
Global Cstate = disabled
DF Cstate = disabled
Memory Clock = auto
4-link xGMI max speed = 18gbps

with this settings getting 81kh/s, cpu-temp 65-67°C, VRM-temps 87-89°C

here a manual explaining all this cryptic names in bios and what effect they have on your system

EDIT: my system:
h11dsi-nt rev.2.board with bios 2.0b (not modded, original bios)
dual epyc 7742 ES with -04 at the end
16dimms for dual socket (16* 3200mhz, 32gb per stick, totall of 512 gb)

fun fact: when using 8 dimms for dual socket (thus 4 sticks per cpu) my monero mining rate is 32-33 kh/s. using 16dimms i get 81kh/s with bios tweaks.

good luck

Lucahk

May 13, 2020

i am in the middle of tweaking, takes couple of days because my system is at my work. so i can tweak when i am at work (monday till thursday). right now i get now around 79-81 kh/s.
my settings rigth now:
cTDP/PPL = 180 Watt (to keep VRM-temps under 90°C)
[...]
good luck
Many thanks for your very detailed answer, there are many interesting points from where to start to look for improvements !

I will definitely try out, there is just a little obstacle now ... I don't have at the moment an available monitor to visualize the bios ... :)

Donsal

Sep 8, 2020
Does anybody know how to flash the bios on a h11dsi-nt rev 2.0 for dual ZS 64 core cpus? I can't get the motherboard to display the uefi. I have tried putting the custom bios on to a usb stick and tried it on the motherboard nothing happens, tried downloading the bmc and impi can't seem to enter the interace of either of them. Could somebody link me to a to tutorial of how to do this or explain to me how to do it step by step?

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
If you don't have a retail Epyc to flash with you will need to connect to IPMI; if your board is on default settings plug in the management LAN to your router and check your router for a new DHCP lease, then navigate your web browser to the IPMI's IP address.

Donsal

Sep 8, 2020
If you don't have a retail Epyc to flash with you will need to connect to IPMI; if your board is on default settings plug in the management LAN to your router and check your router for a new DHCP lease, then navigate your web browser to the IPMI's IP address.
Done that know I am at the web login where do I find the username and the password?

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
On older boards it should be ADMIN/ADMIN, on newer boards it is written on a sticker on the board.

Donsal

Sep 8, 2020
On older boards it should be ADMIN/ADMIN, on newer boards it is written on a sticker on the board.
How do I activate a license I don't have a Node Product Key and I don't want to buy one is there a way to generator a key for free or is there another way to get the cpus to work?

Lucahk

May 13, 2020

[...]

with this settings getting 81kh/s, cpu-temp 65-67°C, VRM-temps 87-89°C

good luck

Finally got access to the bios and tried to modify the parameters ... the result was that the system did not boot ... :D
Going back to original parameters ... thanks anyway! ;)

Donsal

Sep 8, 2020
I tried it and it worked . I updated the bios, I had to download 3 different ones until it worked but I still didn't get a display output so I placed a gpu on it for video output and the speaker buzzed when I plugged the gpu in so I thought it was an error and the I switched the power supply off by the wall and back on still no video output and then I went back on ipmi the sensors didn't read any temps anymore and the post code snoop was ff before it was 00 and the power control doesn't work anymore power on or off don't work on the ipmi gui. The whole ipmi gui is completely bugged tried updating it to the latest ipmi version no change as well as updating the bios to another version nothing change. Don't know what to do?

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
I tried it and it worked . I updated the bios, I had to download 3 different ones until it worked but I still didn't get a display output so I placed a gpu on it for video output and the speaker buzzed when I plugged the gpu in so I thought it was an error and the I switched the power supply off by the wall and back on still no video output and then I went back on ipmi the sensors didn't read any temps anymore and the post code snoop was ff before it was 00 and the power control doesn't work anymore power on or off don't work on the ipmi gui. The whole ipmi gui is completely bugged tried updating it to the latest ipmi version no change as well as updating the bios to another version nothing change. Don't know what to do?
With zs cpus you cant use the latest bios make sure you are using one of the older ones.

Donsal

Sep 8, 2020
With zs cpus you cant use the latest bios make sure you are using one of the older ones.
I have the zs cpus and I was using the h11dsi rev 2 custom bios from OP it was working, the bios update was done everything was working with normal post codes and I turned it off and back on by the wall but I didn't tick preserve sm bios before I did the bios update, now the impi gui is really buggy and I tried factory reseting and reseting impi in the impi gui settings no success.

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
Got the new gigabyte board delivered today, after a quick initial test vrms are way cooler(fpu test would quickly hit alarm temps on the h11, while this was at 85c after 15min still running fine, both tests with no extra vrm fans) the power delivery looks beefier an extra phase for each cpu and looks like 4 more for the mem. vrm heatsink is thinner but taller and has proper thermal paste it looks like. ill get a build log going soon and maybe a mini review.

oh and the ipmi has a proper gui for fan control, so you can easily ramp up whatever fans you want based on the temp sensor you pick. it also has the 1.0.0.7 agesa probabaly no go for ZS cpus?

edit: short build log here

IMG_20200922_100459.jpg

Last edited:

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
i've spent the last few hours reading various threads here, but with conversations constantly flipping between Naples/Rome, rev1/rev2 boards, etc it's leaving me a bit confused for my own case.

I have 3 systems, all running EPYC Rome CPUs (I believe retail, dont think they are OEM) and I would like to try to increase the all-core clocks if I can. My systems run linux and I cannot switch to Windows, so I cannot use the windows based tools that have been mentioned.

1. AsrockRack EPYCD8 w/BIOS 2.40 - EPYC 7402P (24c), 4x SKHynix 2Rx8 16GB DDR4-3200
--Using Supermicro SNK-P0064AP4 air cooler
--everything in BIOS set to auto for CPU/mem settings
--CPU seems to run at about 3.1GHz all core, temps ~74C

2. AsrockRack EPYCD8 w/BIOS 2.10 - EPYC 7402P (24c), 4x Micron 1Rx4 16GB DDR4-3200
--Using custom water cooled loop w/EK waterblock and 360mm radiator
--everything in BIOS set to auto for CPU/mem
--CPU stays around 3.25GHz all core, temps ~46C

3. Supermicro H11DSi-NT rev2 - 2x EPYC 7642 (48c), 8x Micron 2Rx8 16GB DDR4-3200
--Using Supermicro SNK-P0064AP4 air coolers
--everything in BIOS set to auto for CPU/mem settings
--CPU seems to run at about 2.7GHz all core, temps ~60C (CPU2) / ~65C (CPU1)

I'm not really familiar with the menu options in these EPYC boards (I come from Intel) so i really don't know what settings will affect CPU speed. can anyone explain? are there any settings I can tweak to get faster all-core clocks? I couldn't really find any TDP options but maybe I just didn't know what menu they were under in the BIOS? do they exist?

another thing I will note, is that the Asrock EPYCD8 2.40 bios seems bugged for fan control. there are no fan control options in the BIOS at all, but they are there in the 2.10 BIOS. I had to unplug my PWM pin to force the CPU fan at 100% to get the temps down. has anyone else noticed this and/or reported it to Asrock?

Reactions: chraac

yesoos

Mar 10, 2020
PL
fun fact: when using 8 dimms for dual socket (thus 4 sticks per cpu) my monero mining rate is 32-33 kh/s. using 16dimms i get 81kh/s with bios tweaks.
Hi, Yes for 2 Socket motherboards you need more RAM to get optimal performance.
For 1 Socket systems you need 4 DIMMs for optimal performance, population slots may differ between Epyc generations 7001/7002

Try to lower mem clock to 2133MHz to gain #

1601543097327.png