8 drive 3.5" SAS2 Backplane - OEM/E-Waste available and DIY Friendly ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Allan74

May 15, 2019
Is anyone aware of the existence of an 8 drive 3.5" SAS2 Backplane that is E-Waste or OEM available and possibly DIY Friendly ?

I am looking to breathe life back into a SansDigital 8x3.5" twin-eSATA connected box (TR8-xxx) as a DIY project, as these units are essentially being given away, complete with sleds etc.

ST-SAN-TR8.jpg

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
You want a 8-drive (vertical, 8x1) SAS2/SATA backplane ... with the (~precisely-) correct vertical spacing of the connectors to match the TR8 layout ... and non-proprietary power connector(s) ... and 2x mini-SAS connections ... and (maybe, even) a compatible mounting arrangement??

I had the same dream! (except my dream had a TR4M in it.) [And, after a lot of search-surfing and ebay-scouring, I woke up.:(]

More realistically, if I were to revive my pursuit, I would hack together my own "backplane"
using 4 (8 for you) of these connectors [link]
SataTo8482.jpg
[cheaper/slower via aliexpress]
===========
"You can't always get what you want ... but ... you get what you need" -- Jagger/Richards

Allan74

May 15, 2019
I was thinking using those connectors and gluing together some sort of backplane/support out of plexiglass as worst case scenario.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
The backplanes likely have the connectors wired to SATA port multipliers, making them effectively useless unfortunately.

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
I was thinking using those connectors and gluing together some sort of backplane/support out of plexiglass as worst case scenario.
Yeah, if you can make some cut-outs to help with airflow. And/or utilize those holes in the connectors to use rods/dowels as the basis of a more open-frame design.

Allan74

May 15, 2019
The backplanes likely have the connectors wired to SATA port multipliers, making them effectively useless unfortunately.
Yes, I planned on ditching the eSata backplanes (there are 2 inside x4) but the cage inside the actual case looks very promising in terms of MOD capability, either making the original chassis work, or removing the entire cage and fitting it into a 4U chassis with some Dremel work.

I can't see how the drive spacing could be THAT far off from a backplane that was fed with side-by-side sleds like this in perhaps 4U size. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any other than perhaps an HP unit. Everything seems to be for 2.5" drives on the scrap market that I know of.

IMG_2351.jpg