Dell EMC PowerEdge C6525 Review 2U4N AMD EPYC Kilo-thread Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sean

Sep 26, 2013
CT
As someone that has used both kiloseconds and kilofeet in conversation, I approve of this title.

Reactions: Patrick

Zzyzx

Feb 8, 2020
Mesa, AZ, USA
@Patrick I sent this via the contact form, but I'll leave it here as well. The Epyc CPU's aren't exactly using an eFuse. What they are doing is a one-time writable security key with the AMD Secure Processor. With this, the processor is able to verify the BIOS and see if the image has been modified or not. It's worth nothing that this has been available, though to a lesser degree, since 4th gen Intel processors with their Boot Guard. Further, the iDRAC9 is able to do this verification of the BIOS with the CPU and reflash the BIOS to a trusted image if it is modified. It's even able to check the BIOS while the computer is running, which can be requested at any time or even scheduled.

Here are links to two whitepapers from Dell EMC which provide more detail. I feel like Dell EMC may not be the only OEM that's going to do this with Epyc processors in the future.

Cheers,
Zzyzx

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yea working on the follow-up with Dell and AMD. Others are doing it too.

Reactions: Zzyzx