[Maybe a deal?] $350 for HGST FLASHMAX II VIR-M2-LP-4800-2B 4.8TB PCI-E SSD Flash Drive

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lesliestandifer

Mar 14, 2018
pretty sure i am too late but possibly this will help someone else looking at these,.. i have several of the 2200 Flashmax II they run HOT these aren't your typical SSDs they really do require a constant air flow otherwise they will overheat and throttle causing IO to fail. The drivers don't work well on Windows 10 or Server 2012 R2 at this point i don't think they are worth it.

Reactions: Fritz

int0x2e

Dec 9, 2015
Isn't that true for all enterprise SSDs though?
In my experience, most enterprise gear (from CPUs to memory to disks/SSDs and HBAs and NICs) uses more power and requires better cooling than consumer hardware...

lesliestandifer

Mar 14, 2018
Isn't that true for all enterprise SSDs though?
In my experience, most enterprise gear (from CPUs to memory to disks/SSDs and HBAs and NICs) uses more power and requires better cooling than consumer hardware...
Enterprise gear generally is developed with the notion that they will be in a climate controlled data center with air constantly flowing over them this isn't always the case with consumer cpus because noise is a concern and it really depends on what you are looking for. I have several 8Tb u.2 nvme disks that don't exhibit any noise or heat issues. i also have the P320h a previous commenter mentioned and they don't have the capacity that the flashmax II drivers do but then again they don't have the driver issues that the flashmaxII d have also. I just tend to think something with a little more modern driver support and less heat issues would be money better spent. Even old FusionIO cards would be better than the flashmax cards.