ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

FunnyFlip

Jul 24, 2020
Hi, I have been dropping by this thread from time to time and by chance came across an offer of a pair of xeon gold 6142 16c, 2.4 GHz that have the normal stuff printed on them incl. SR3AY but are supposed to be ES. Unfortunately I do not know more.
How could this be ES? How compatible are these CPUs ( esp. with a DPI-NT which does not seem very compatible out of the box)? Not sure what to do, sounds like a good offer and waste of money at the same time, because I have no clue of modding. Any ideas? Thanks for your time.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Hi, I have been dropping by this thread from time to time and by chance came across an offer of a pair of xeon gold 6142 16c, 2.4 GHz that have the normal stuff printed on them incl. SR3AY but are supposed to be ES. Unfortunately I do not know more.
How could this be ES? How compatible are these CPUs ( esp. with a DPI-NT which does not seem very compatible out of the box)? Not sure what to do, sounds like a good offer and waste of money at the same time, because I have no clue of modding. Any ideas? Thanks for your time.
what you mean are chineese fake ones. they remark the processors and sell them as prod.units.

FunnyFlip

Jul 24, 2020
Thanks for your quick reply and the valuable information!! Based on your code above I found a list of compatible boards and more CPU details. I will have to rethink this with the new info.

Reactions: RolloZ170

rrubberr

Light Transport Enthusiast
Good afternoon,

I recently purchased a SuperMicro X11DAi-N motherboard and have been planning to populate the sockets with Xeon QL1F (slower 8176) processors. From what I understand these should work with the version 2.1 BIOS for SuperMicro X11 boards.

For RAM I will be using 6 Skhynix 16GB single rank DDR4 2666 DIMMS per processor (supported memory according to SuperMicro: HMA82GR7AFR4N-VK).

Does anyone have a similar configuration to this?

I went through the thread and found another user with the board who successfully ran the "5218 ES (QQ8M) CPU" in this board with BIOS revision 3.0a, as well as multiple users running QL1F processors. Further, it seems one user has had success with DIMMS larger than 16GB (he mentioned 64GB LRDIMMS). I also found the thread "Help me run the Platinum 8180 Processor ES" in which the user had the same X11DAI-N board, however it was inconclusive as to whether or not he got them running.

Thanks for any help :)

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I went through the thread and found another user with the board who successfully ran the "5218 ES (QQ8M) CPU" in this board with BIOS revision 3.0a, as well as multiple users running QL1F processors.
there is a big difference between QL1F and QQ8M
QL1F = skylake ES cpuid 50652 (bios 2.x or modded bios required)
QQ8M = cascade lake ES cpuid 50655 (bios 3.x required)

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I recently purchased a SuperMicro X11DAi-N motherboard and have been planning to populate the sockets with Xeon QL1F (slower 8176) processors. From what I understand these should work with the version 2.1 BIOS for SuperMicro X11 boards.
the X11DAi-N and X11DPi-N(T) does NOT support skylake ES processors like the QL1F.
there is a modded bios for the X11DPi-N(T) board, maybe the same can be done for the X11DAi-N

rrubberr

the X11DAi-N and X11DPi-N(T) does NOT support skylake ES processors like the QL1F.
there is a modded bios for the X11DPi-N(T) board, maybe the same can be done for the X11DAi-N
Adding support is a question of adding the microcode/stepping support for the ES processors to the BIOS, correct?

This process seems to be documented somewhat in the thread "Supermicro x11spi-tf-o with Intel QL1K - Which BIOS."

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Adding support is a question of adding the microcode/stepping support for the ES processors to the BIOS, correct?
No. the processor initialisation code is different because these boards are something special.
the bios 2.x includes the correct microcodes but don't work on x11dpi/x11dai

rrubberr

No. the processor initialisation code is different because these boards are something special.
the bios 2.x includes the correct microcodes but don't work on x11dpi/x11dai
So sorry, I'm the idiot here o_O The board I have is a "SuperMicro X11DPi-N," I had typed the wrong part number into my spreadsheet (oops!).

there is a modded bios for the X11DPi-N(T)
Could you point me in the direction of this BIOS, or will I be able to use the MMTool to create this BIOS myself?

tiggun

Aug 2, 2019
hello friends i have a 'qn37 2.00GHZ' xeon processor. I think it is most similar to a xeon gold 6138, but i have no mobo to bring it up to check. from this thread i should get a supermicro x11 board and use BIOS 2.x, is that right?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
hello friends i have a 'qn37 2.00GHZ' xeon processor. I think it is most similar to a xeon gold 6138, but i have no mobo to bring it up to check. from this thread i should get a supermicro x11 board and use BIOS 2.x, is that right?
the qn37(xeon gold 6138T) has the same cpuid( 50654h) than the skylake production unit. it should work with ANY bios.

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017
Hi

I hope you can help.

Can anyone with more knowledge than me confirm if an Intel QQ8B A0 Stepping (Xeon Gold 6244 ES) CPUID - 050655h

Work in a Supermicro X11DPI-N Motherboard?

Thanks.

RedX1
[

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Can anyone with more knowledge than me confirm if an Intel QQ8B A0 Stepping (Xeon Gold 6244 ES) CPUID - 050655h
Work in a Supermicro X11DPI-N Motherboard?
yes it works, needs bios 3.x and up because it is a cascade lake
the cpuid 50655 is used by the first production unit steppings of cascade lake scalable processors too.

Reactions: RedX1

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017
yes it works, needs bios 3.x and up because it is a cascade lake
the cpuid 50655 is used by the first production unit steppings of cascade lake scalable processors too.
Hi

Thanks so much, thats a great help.

Chapeau bas!

RedX1

morockin

Sep 13, 2020
Long time reader, first time poster here. I want to start with a big thanks to the community and the wisdom you've shared about ES chips. It helped me better understand my options and build a new system for half the cost I was expecting for the same performance. I do have one quick question though on two QL1K's I am running on an Asus Sage C621E:

I can't seem to get the multiplier on my 2 QL1K's to go above 22 (on the 10-32x scale). Am I missing something? I've tried multiple combinations of C-state adjustments, turbo disable/enable, etc and can't move past the 22x mark. I don't want to start messing with BLCK since I know that is playing with fire. Any suggestions?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I do have one quick question though on two QL1K's I am running on an Asus Sage C621E:
I can't seem to get the multiplier on my 2 QL1K's to go above 22 (on the 10-32x scale).
Any suggestions?
can you provide some screenshots from HWinfo summary with/without load ?
x22 is the all core turbo frequency of the QL1K's. so if you have a multithreaded load the x22 is the normal result.

morockin

Sep 13, 2020
can you provide some screenshots from HWinfo summary with/without load ?
x22 is the all core turbo frequency of the QL1K's. so if you have a multithreaded load the x22 is the normal result.
Good news, I was able to get multiple cores unlocked to the full 2.8-3.2ghz with a few tweaks to the CPU C/P states and was able to preserve most of the energy savings/idling to ensure that I wasn't running hot all the time. Thankfully none of it required playing with the BLCK settings. Screenshot attached.

Attachments

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Good news, I was able to get multiple cores unlocked to the full 2.8-3.2ghz with a few tweaks to the CPU C/P states and was able to preserve most of the energy savings/idling to ensure that I wasn't running hot all the time. Thankfully none of it required playing with the BLCK settings. Screenshot attached.
in windows, what energy plan have you enabled ? in the ASUS BIOS: there may be a TDP maximum set not high enough(just a few thoughts)
Or that is because of the modded bios, i have no experience with Sage & Modded Bios to run SKL ES2.
Edit:
look into the devicemanager: chipset/processor all drivers installed ? (intel inf)

Last edited: